PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this image please

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/karyn-copy-2web.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Noelle;

I have an alternative idea. My inspiration is the song by ZZ Top "Legs". I hope it gives you some ideas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legs_%28song%29

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Legs.jpg

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
You are funny Craig! "She's got legs" I remember that song.

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Noelle;

I saw an image done like I posted some years ago. It was done with black manequin legs sticking up and New Years Streamers and such but basically the same idea. I hope you consider entering it something like that. What do others think ?

Teya_Rutherford
03-28-2008, 02:23 AM
I like the crop w/the legs! though the conversion makes her skin look a bit gray/muddy and the dress looks blown to me...

Linda_Gregory
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
The original one may have problems with the dress being blown out, I'd check your uncompressed file but for competition, there's no draw. She looks totally unattached (emotionally) so it doesn't really draw me in. The idea of cropping the legs is fun but there still isn't enough there to keep me interested...hence, the impact is not there.

I'll bet the bride loved it!

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I agree Linda, she does look bored.

How come sometimes a BW conversion will blow out the whites?

Linda_Gregory
03-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Because the process you're using (not sure what it is) is adding contrast and that'll do it. try converting it in photoshop using the control/shift/U and see if the whites are blown out?

That's not always the most pleasing conversion but you could layer it under the other conversion and using a layer mask, erase the detail back in.

andiegoodman
03-28-2008, 03:13 AM
In the original image, I feel the bride's head is too close to the edge of the image. D.Craig's version is more to my liking and I would actually score that higher (without the blown out highlights).

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
In the original image, I feel the bride's head is too close to the edge of the image. D.Craig's version is more to my liking and I would actually score that higher (without the blown out highlights).

Hi Andie;

I was working with her low res file, and quickly. I apologize for the blown out highlights. I'm sure she can control it a lot better at 300 ppi in 16X20. I'd love to see her enter the legs and get a blue ribbon using a title that gets the panel sitting up after hearing the title and buzzing after the turntable spins around.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
ya think? I would reall love to hear what Kieth has to say about the legs image. The origanal RAW file is nor blown out.

Keith??

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
ya think? I would reall love to hear what Kieth has to say about the legs image. The origanal RAW file is nor blown out.

Keith??

Hi Noelle;

Could you try doing one, in 8x10, like I suggested & bring it along to the PPAofPa meeting in April ? I'll take you around to a lot of Master to have them take a look at it.

Keith_A_Howe
03-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Noelle, This is a fun image and I am sure the bride loved it. I think it would make a good sample that would draw a lot of attention for you. However you posted this under competition, so I assume that's what you are interested in hearing about.

Lighting is the number one challenge I see with most images presented here for critiques. Light plays as much a part in creating an image as does a camera. You could say a camera is the brush and light is the paint. That's why understanding light and using it appropiately is such an important part of what a judge looks for in print competition. The challenge with the light on your image is that it is confusing. The shadows are projected to the right, so you would think the main light would be striking the left side of her legs, but no, the left side of her legs are the shadow side. Also her face is brighter on side that projects the shadow. I understand how this happened, but as a judge I would have to ask why you choose to light it this way and if the choice was appropiate for the image and the idea you were trying to convey. In this case my answer would be probably not.

The next challenge I would see is the lens choice. Notice how large her head and hands look in comparison to her legs and feet. This tells me it was a relatively short lens so we are seeing distortion. Distortion can be used to add to an image, in this image because it doesn't improve the idea it looks like a mistake.

The legs crop is an interesting choice and would probably be the right choice if you did not have the shadow and lighting issues. I think this crop makes that problem jump out more.

That being said, if you are new to competition and trying to learn, either option would not be a bad choice to enter. I do not believe it will merit, but I do not feel you will be embarrassed with how it scores either. If you decide to go ahead with it, I would reccomend a looser crop. She looks crowded IMO. One more thing, squint your eyes and look at this image. i see two black triangles and a black oval below . . . kinda like a jack-o-lantern face. Next time get rid of the distracting pillows and have the model tip her face down to look at the camera so you are getting interaction. Linda was right when she said the model looks unattatched

Glad to see you putting yourself out there!
Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Kieth, I really appreciate your input. I was more into the pose than I was into the rest of the image and by getting attached to that I overlooked the rest. I like the way you explain all of the issues relating to this image and value any advice you or anyone else on the forum has given me. I never mind any CC it is helping me to grow and strive for a better image.:) :)

wedding season is approaching so I will look at my brides this year in a whole new light and hopefully get some that will be as fun as this one and willing to show her legs!

Gene_Paltrineri
03-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Noelle,
Nice image, it has impact.
I like the original cropping best.
As a judge (non-affiliate) I agree with Keith about the lighting. The first thing I noticed, after the impact, was that there was something wrong with the lighting, which would keep it out of "Deserving a Merit" for me.
Knowing that this is not an image (without a model) that you can re-shoot easily, I would consider digitally removing the shadows from the legs and face to possibly get it into the merit category. You have to be very good. The judges will see sloppy work instantly. The perspective did not bother me that much. Much better than having the feet larger than the head.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Gene, I am not that good with the PS so this one will have to sit on the hard drive shelf.

andiegoodman
03-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Bring it to the meeting anyway and let's see what we can do with it. Try to bring the file too, on a jump drive and we can play.

D._Craig_Flory
03-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Bring it to the meeting anyway and let's see what we can do with it. Try to bring the file too, on a jump drive and we can play.

Hi Noelle;

What she said ! Andie, myself, and lots of others will help you. (BTW ... we OurPPA types try to go to lunch together so you're invited)

John_Metcalfe
03-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Been said...

I was going to talk about your lighting and saw the other comments before posting accidentally.

I am sure they will help you.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Andie, that is so nice of you to offer to help but I am not from Pennsylvania and will not be at one of your meetings.:(

Someday maybe!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

D._Craig_Flory
03-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Andie, that is so nice of you to offer to help but I am not from Pennsylvania and will not be at one of your meetings.:(

Someday maybe!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Hi Noelle;

Louise St, Romain is coming to Pa., from Jersey, for our April meeting. Joe came last year and joined here this year. I hope you can make it soon. Find some other ladies to travel with.

Mark_Levesque
03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Especially if you want to learn Lightroom. :D

andiegoodman
03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Is that a plug for your program? What day are you getting to the Radisson?

Mark_Levesque
03-29-2008, 07:54 PM
More like an invitation. ;) I'm getting in Monday night.