PDA

View Full Version : Another Possibility?

Jacob_Chinn
03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
So I'm slowly going through my images for comp. Here is another I like, what do you think?

http://www.jacobchinn.com/postingphotos/tree.jpg

Tess_Teter
03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm no expert on competition, but I see shots like this now and then and it goes against everything I've ever heard about wedding/bridal portraits.

Who has planned the big day? The Bride. Who is wearing the big foofy dress that costs a lot of money and causes a lot of discomfort and she had to diet for 3 months to get into it? The Bride Who is going to be selecting the photos? The Bride. Everything about a wedding, sorry guys, is about The Bride!

So why do we have a photo with the back of her head and some guy looking at her?

I like men as much as the next girl (that doesn't sound reassuring?), but nobody really cares much to see the groom. Normally, if it were up to him, he would just as soon stay home and watch some NCAA basketball on tv and put the marriage certificate in the mail.

Unless it was a spectacularly ugly bride, I guess it just offends me that we only see the back of her head as if she's just a prop.

*stepping down off my soapbox*

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Jacob I really love the roots coming from underneath them but I find the wood on top a bit distracting, I think you should darken that area. I think a tighter crop may help.

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Jacob;

My eyes go to everything BUT the bride. I love images of brides, or couples, .. on bridges, by fountains, and other romantic locales. This spot would be incredible for a senior portrait. It doesn't work for me for a wedding couple.

Mark_Levesque
03-28-2008, 02:01 AM
This is what bothers me about Tess. She beats around the bush too much. :D

Teya_Rutherford
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't necessarily agree Tess - if, as a bride, I had a fabulous image where my dress looked great, my hair looked great and my groom was looking at me like he had married a supermodel, I would LOVE that image even if you couldn't see my face. I don't think this image is exactly that, but I think had the trees been further OOF and not competing so much w/the couple and their connection, it would be more competition-worthy.

Gene_Paltrineri
03-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Jacob
Interesting image of contrasts.
You will get some impact with the contrast between the bride (soft - curvy) and the tree (hard -sharp angles).
I am not excited about his hand sticking out of her back, and wondering why she is sitting in her beautiful gown on an old dirty tree root.
I really like the tree.
There is probably a loan print somewhere in those roots.
Mark, that is a tree, not a bush.

Jacob_Chinn
03-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Wow, I'm glad my photo drew such strong emotions. Of course, Tess's reaction wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it was a reaction just the same.

As for why she's sitting on a tree, it's because that's the type of bride she was. She's got flowers in her hair and the wedding was by oak creek in Sedona. Plus I loved the tree.

Tess_Teter
03-28-2008, 05:49 AM
I love the setting. I'm a fan of freaky tree roots myself. So I don't question that - actually loved it.

And, I figure if you get these two all set up on the tree, I know arranging them can be a lot of work, then the next question would be, is this the only shot you have? Do you have any with the bride's face? Of course brides love photos of their beloved, but if you put up ONE photo and say, "How's this one?" then it sets up the question of WHY this ONE?

I see a lot of potential in the image, and I agree with others that you'd need to burn down the edges to lead the eyes into the couple. The groom is a good looking guy, but again, I wonder what is wrong with the bride that we don't get to see her face. The big dress, the flowers, even the handsome groom are all there because of her.

Was this shot worth taking - absolutely. But if you're showing only one image, then I question why we don't see the bride's face. For the record, I don't believe that every portrait has to feature a face. It just seems that this shot was a good intro... but working the pose and the setting a little bit to capture the beauty and emotion of both people would have made it stronger. I can only imagine how this bride was beaming to be out there in a beautiful setting with her prince charming and a really cool photographer to document it all. ;)

You said my reaction wasn't what you're looking for, and I see where that's heading. For me, however, our images are supposed to tell a story, and to me as a viewer the story was incomplete. I was trying to be very vivid in what questions and frustrations I found with the story line.

*eep* Certainly no offense intended!

Jacob_Chinn
03-28-2008, 05:58 AM
No offense taken. When I said "looking for" I think I really meant expecting. Even though I have a wife, two daughters, and my dog is a girl, I still can't stop seeing things from a mans point of view (and I stay home with my daughters most of the time during the week). So, the imput from you was constructive and informative.

I'll post some other images from the same setting as well. I just like the composition of this one the best. Once she was down and the dress was arranged I didn't have much time to move her around. Now that I've posted this image and gotten feedback I'll be better next time. That's why I love the forum.