PDA

View Full Version : Either of these GRAB you?

Honey_DeLapa
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Thought I would put these up a couple at a time. Hope it's not too much to ask.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/delapaphoto/PartoftheArt.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/delapaphoto/IMG_7543.jpg

Haven't done a lot of work on these yet. Please tell me what they might need.

Thanks again!!

Dave_Cisco
03-26-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't know exactly what I would do at this moment, but I think you have a merit in there somewhere.:D

KirkDarling
03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
The second one for sure, but I'd like to see the saturation and contrast punched a bit.

D._Craig_Flory
03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Honey;

I like the 1st one. Here is how I see it being worked & presented. I titled my version "Stood Up". She looks like her date failed to show up.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StoodUp.jpg

Teya_Rutherford
03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
I love the second one - but would like to see something done to bring the emphasis more to her as I feel the background is competing...

Lori_Clapp
03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I like them both, I love that dress with the wall, but her pink eye makeup really looks weird in number two.

KirkDarling
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I love the second one - but would like to see something done to bring the emphasis more to her as I feel the background is competing...

Although it's an effect I don't normally like, what about using a layer mask to increase saturation and contrast of just the girl and her dress, leaving the rest as it is?

John_Metcalfe
03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of re-cropping to isolate your subject more. also took away some of the highlites, burned down the print a bit and added some more saturation. Good Luck!

D._Craig_Flory
03-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of re-cropping to isolate your subject more. also took away some of the highlites, burned down the print a bit and added some more saturation. Good Luck!

Hi John;

Since she wants input for competition ... are you looking at how you posted it as the subject layer ? If so, how do you see it being presented on a background layer ?

John_Metcalfe
03-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Well Mr. Flory, that is a subjective question to say the least.

Let's look at the facts. The judging panel will be viewing this image against a gray background. There is a gray-brown in the print. By using one of the gray-brown tones, the more vibrant colors stand a better chance to explode off the board! Now since the dress doesn't touch the edge of the image, the pink stripe will now be to an advantage. As far as placement, I would rest her face in the upper 1/3 on the right-hand side.

Dave_Cisco
03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Her face is too blah considering all the other vibrant colors...she needs "makeup".

Honey_DeLapa
03-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Wow! Thank you all for all the input.

I'm used to reading about other people's prints but it's really an honor to have people discussing mine.
It's really hard to decide which one to work on when the experts are split. ;)

I definitely love the background color and stroke ideas and the cropping puts more emphasis on the subject. Thanks Craig and John.

Dave, this girl is very pale. Do you see that as a reason to scrap this one or should I see what I can do to put some color in her face?

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
I LOVE THESE! Just perfect!

MarilynDillon
03-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Have you considered giving it a "cross process" effect? I think it really lends itself to the feel of this image. I love her skin in this. Here is a sample of what I was thinking.
I was also thinking that instead of "stood up" - maybe something that makes her seem more tough and modern like "No Date Needed" -- not sure. Will keep thinking on titles.

Dave_Cisco
03-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Dave, this girl is very pale. Do you see that as a reason to scrap this one or should I see what I can do to put some color in her face?

I suspect that she is pale, and I wouldn't recommend you alter a portrait that she might want. However, I believe her pale color is a problem for competition.
Keep in mind that I'm only expressing my opinion.

MarilynDillon
03-27-2008, 02:41 AM
Here is the other one -- I punched up the color a bit and then made it like a "cross processed" image. Makes it feel a little bit edgier (is that a word?!?). I am new to competition so I don't know if things like this fly in comp but i like the edgy feeling. The only thing that bothers me is the pink eyelids -- maybe that can be played with to tone down or something.

dana_nordlund
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Honey :cool:

I love these 2. I think that the second image has some real potential, especially with John Metcalfe's suggestions. I tend to listen to him a lot, he usually drowns out the other voices in my head :eek:, but he also has a way of breaking down an image to it's strength.

Hey, I'm coming up to RahChaCha April 16th to speak at GRPP, how far away are you?

KirkDarling
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd keep the pink on the eyelids. In this picture, I think it's necessary to repeat the color of her dress on her face. In fact, I'd tone her lips the same pink hue.

D._Craig_Flory
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=John Metcalfe;141767]Well Mr. Flory, that is a subjective question to say the least.

Hi John;

You didn't understand at all. Until someone is a master they must enter a 16X20 or 20X16. You posted a long slim image which does not fit those dimensions. Mariyn posted a similar crop, as you, but with a background layer making it a competition proportionate size. I was NOT being critical of your crop.

John_Metcalfe
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
No worries... and I did understand. I did give instructions of what I would like to see and why. I just didn't do it for her.

Linda_Gregory
03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
The girl is pale but her skin tones, especially on her legs is in the blue tones. Give her some healthy color and I don't think the paleness will matter as much.

Wow. I love this wall. ship it to me??

Keith_A_Howe
03-28-2008, 02:51 AM
There are three issues that would be difficult to overcome for these images to merit. First there is a challenge with the light, it is mostly flat but what direction is there is broad light. Notice how on the first image the back of her shoulder is brighter than her face Next there is an exposure issue. When looking at the histogram there is overexposure on the highlights and loss of detail and this image as presented is underprinted. Lastly I see a lack of color scheme. The wall behind her could either repeat some of the color from her dress, or be the opposite on the color wheel frwhich would be an apple green. Either color theroy would work. As it stands now there is nothing that tells me why this model in this dress should be photographed in this location. It doesn't make visual sense to me. If the background graffitti colors related to the dress in someway we probably wouldn't even notice it to comment on, but because it does not relate, it just reads as distracting.

Try visualizing this image in your head, created late in the day (or early) so the sunlight is striking her from the far camera left, creating a dramatic lighting pattern sculpting her face and the folds of her skirt. Then imagine her dress either in a cobalt blue to relate to the graffitti, or a rich orange to be the opposite. Then imagine a fierce strong assertive expression on her face. Place her in a pose that perpetuates that fierce expression, not coyly or demurely leaning on her hands. Perhaps she is standing with one hip cocked to the side and one hand on that hip, hiking her dress up a little. Place her so that stair rail creates a leading line to her and now you have a strong image where pose, expression and color all is in keeping with the location and the story of the image.
Keith

Tess_Teter
03-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Wow Keith! You're amazing. You should be a photographer! :D

(And this is exactly why I mourn not being able to attend your famous Camp Howe. *pout*)

Jo_Ann_Schow
03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I love the first one. It tells a story to me. The girl has been out all night at the clubs, the sun is coming up, and she's wondering how she's going to get home. I love the subjects placement in the lower right corner too. She needs to have a "smallness" against the background to go with my story :)

Honey_DeLapa
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I apologize again in this thread for leaving things hanging. I had some personal issues that had to be attended to.

I also had the story thing going in my head as did JoAnn and thought of the idea that "he didn't show up" or "don't need a date anyway" kind of thing.

Since both images have flaws that will be hard to overcome, I am going to search for others to enter.

I am not far from this wall and it is superb! I definitely will use it again and find a way to put it all together the way Keith suggested. This one was taken at dusk but I will have to find the right place to get better dimensional lighting that was suggested.

Dana, I am 20 minutes from the GRPP meeting. I'll PM you to get all the details. I don't know why GRPP is having their meeting the same day as Finger Lakes (my section) this month! That doesn't usually happen.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions! This is fun!!

Honey