PDA

View Full Version : Critique for Competiton

Honey_DeLapa
03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi there folks!

I have been an avid lurker for quite some time and really appreciate all the information shared here.
I have been slowly working toward my Master's over the years and need just 3 Merit Prints to complete it. My case bombed at State last year so I didn't even send it on. I would like to do better this year so I'm here to ask for help.
Any input or critique will be welcomed.

Here are a couple to start and thanks in advance!
Honey

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/delapaphoto/Caretojoinme.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/delapaphoto/ImAllShookUPcopy.jpg

DianeDavis
03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Honey,
Congrats and Welcome. There are many of us that wish we were that close to a masters.

Nice work!

Honey_DeLapa
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks Diane!

Being so close seems to be making it much more difficult to choose prints.

I'll be posting more soon.

Dave_Cisco
03-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I think the first image has better chances than the second. :) I'm a little puzzled about the horizontal presentation of a vertical image.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Honey,

(I love that name, everyone called my sisters ex mother in law that)

Sometimes its not the kill but the thrill of the chase. I remember being sooooooo close to getting my last merits. It wasnt fun anymore. I think you have a merit in you somewhere.

Good luck

dana_nordlund
03-27-2008, 12:20 AM
HONEY! and I mean that most sincerely :D

It's good to see you here, big kisses and a hug for ya. I will miss you at State this year, I'm doing a SuperMonday, but I am sending a case.

I like the first image a lot, but I think it needs to be vertical too.

Good luck girly, talk to you soon

Honey_DeLapa
03-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Dave,

I guess I was going for correct placement but I must be way off on this one.

I'll rework it vertically and thanks for the help!

Jane,

Thanks for the encouragement. We actually met at a Finger Lakes/PPSNYS Program in Waterloo. I agree that picking these last few prints is driving me nuts. I hope I can find something worthwhile to submit.

And Dana...

Thanks for the kisses and hugs - especially since I won't get my share in person at State. I've decided to skip it this year too. There is just too much going on right now. Good luck with your Super Monday. Let us know how it goes. Love you!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Honey,

I thought you looked familiar!

Dave_Cisco
03-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Dave,

I guess I was going for correct placement but I must be way off on this one.

I'll rework it vertically and thanks for the help!

Wait to hear what others have to say...I may be off base.....:)

Stewart_Schulze
03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
i was thinking about the placement of this image.
Because of digital we seem to be moving the image placement around on the mat (more then in the past). I understand the placement of the subject in the Thirds but if we are just taking a centered image and making it smaller then moving it to the side and/or bottom is that making the image a better image. I have to say that i have moved an image on a mat once or twice (maybe more) but usually it is just to make a composition, that just needed a little help, stronger.
i would love here what others think.

also if those with the "powers to be" think this should be a thread of its own then do it

Art_Wright
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Honey, what is the second image of?

Mark_Levesque
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
A carnival ride.

Dave_Cisco
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Honey, what is the second image of?

I used to do a lot of images similar to that when I was younger...One 6-pak and I was makin' pretty pictures.:D

Keith_A_Howe
03-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Honey, I played around with the girl in the falls. I think I can get it to the above average catergory, but considering what you have said about needing just 3 merits, I don't think a 78 would make you happy. This image has two major challenges that are just too hard to overcome to get it to a merit IMO. first is the lighting. It's flat. The second problem is her expression. It looks like a sneer which can work, but not in this location, haughty and aloof would work, but snotty and spoiled just doesn't feel right. i tried liqify to change it, but with this low res file I can't tell. plus that's a lot of work when the lighting would still keep it out of the merit catergory. If you were new to entering I would encourage you to go ahead, but as you said, you are looking to finish up the Master's and I don't believe this image will do it.

The carnival ride just lacks impact IMO. It's interesting but there is nothing about it that makes me want to look more than a fleeting second. My eyes don't folloow through any composition. There is no center of interest to draw me in. I feel it will fall in the average catergory and not generate any comments.

I generally don't like to comment on images when my advice is to look for something else, but knowing that you are this close to Master's gives a different perspective on what I assume your goals are.

Keith

Ashley_Short
03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree about the expression. It just doesn't work for me. But I love the rest of it. Good luck with the Masters!

Honey_DeLapa
04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments. I will work on finding better images.

I'm sorry I left this thread hanging. I got the news that my husband was let go from his job just after posting and had to attend to the aftermath of that.

Looks like I better concentrate on making money right now and worry about competition later.

Thanks again for all the help!

Honey