PDA

View Full Version : Print Cases?

Michael_Barton
03-26-2008, 08:52 PM
So, I'm starting to realize that the old Fibrebilt cases are not being made anymore. I can't find them anywhere. SO, I'm looking for a 20x24 shipping case that doesn't cost $300. Tenba makes a really nice case, but with nationals we never see them! I don't want to spend to much for a case that's always gone. Any suggestions. I have 2 Fibrebilt 16x20 cases that are perfect. I want a 20x24 case that fits the same bill. Thanks for your help.

D._Craig_Flory
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
So, I'm starting to realize that the old Fibrebilt cases are not being made anymore. I can't find them anywhere. SO, I'm looking for a 20x24 shipping case that doesn't cost $300. Tenba makes a really nice case, but with nationals we never see them! I don't want to spend to much for a case that's always gone. Any suggestions. I have 2 Fibrebilt 16x20 cases that are perfect. I want a 20x24 case that fits the same bill. Thanks for your help.

Hi Michael;

Within one minute I found this at B&H : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=Fiberbilt+&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Michael_Barton
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I saw that as well. They are back ordered EVERYWHERE. I have tried B & H, Calumet, all the usual places and more. They are all on back order with the Fibrebilt. They don't offer them on their site either. I can't even find the 16x20's anymore.

Cheri_MacCallum
03-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Try Showcase Photo in Atlanta 1-800-886-1976. I can't remember the name of the poly (hard plastic) cases, but it's where I got all my cases!

Michael_Barton
03-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Rockin'! Thanks for the tip.

Rick_Massarini
03-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Another supplier that can get the cases for you is Durys in Nashville. I made arrangements with them last year to be able to supply cases for our PP of Louisiana members. They are now keeping the 16x20 and 20x24 in stock. Give Robert Parks a call. He can help you out.

Michael_Barton
03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Rick!

MarilynDillon
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
This is my first competition -- for State I can enter 5 prints. Is the 16x20x2" deep enough or would you suggest the 3" depth? What do you use to separate the prints? I see some foam separators but do not know what is customary. Thanks!

D._Craig_Flory
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
This is my first competition -- for State I can enter 5 prints. Is the 16x20x2" deep enough or would you suggest the 3" depth? What do you use to separate the prints? I see some foam separators but do not know what is customary. Thanks!

Hi Marilyn;

I would suggest at least the 3" depth. I own two cases and the 3" case isn't as cramped as my 2" case.

As for what to put in between ... Mid East Regional rules asked for plain mat board in between. In our state competition I don't think there is anything specific but I would say to read the rules for your state to see what they ask for.

Ashley_Short
03-28-2008, 02:29 AM
This may be a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway... I've only done competition once, and I just sent the print in the box that it came to me in from the lab. I don't really understand why I need to put it in a $100-$300 case, other than presentation, and from what I hear, the judges never see it anyway. If I ordered a nice case, doesn't it still need to go into another box, just for postal reasons? Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I'd love to be filled in on this issue.

Thanks!

Cheri_MacCallum
03-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Well for one, the boxes can be easily damaged, and why spend all that money just to have them damaged!! The cases are really difficult to damage. It would take the entire ups truck running over it to damage it. Also, The print cases are easily opened from the clips and just think how many cases have to be opened. The boxes need knives to open and tape to close back up. Lots of extra work.

Michael_Barton
03-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Ashley, great question. Cheri's pretty much on it. You have to see how many cases get sent in to understand the need. Even at the state level it's a drag to have people bringing in boxes. It wastes time, trashes prints and makes them difficult to ship. Most competitions won't even allow entries that are not in an approved case. You also can ship them without putting them in a box. Just toss them in the case with some kind of protective barrier between the prints, toss in your paperwork, close it, click it, ship it.

By the way I found ONE at Dury's. Tricky. I had to talk with the man Rick recommended. No one else at the store new there was one there. I had a hard time finding one at the store in Atlanta. 16x20 cases aren't that difficult to find, but man I don't know what's with the 20x24's. Crazy. Thanks for all of the input everyone! I was in a bind and now it's cool.

Michael_Gan
03-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Funny how the 20x24's would be hard to find. They're only needed for PPA Masters and for EI. The only thing I can think of is that since all the 16x20's are snagged, everyone is going for the next thing available.

Rick_Massarini
03-28-2008, 06:00 AM
When asked to recommend sources, I usually recommend vendors that support our state associations in favor of recommending those that never come to our conventions. Durys and Showcase are loyal regular PPLA exhibitors, so we always recommend them first, that's why I set it up with Robert at Durys to be able to supply them for our PPLA members.

There is one other major supplier from whom you can get them online direct order. Try contacting www.PrintFile.com - They're the manufacturers of those plastic PrintFile negative storage sheets that just about all of us have used back in the film days. They can provide the 16x20 and 20x24 cases at a very good price if you are in a bind and cannot get it from one of your regular vendors. They also supply a lot of archival storage and mounting materials if you are in need of them.

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
This may be a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway... I've only done competition once, and I just sent the print in the box that it came to me in from the lab. I don't really understand why I need to put it in a $100-$300 case, other than presentation, and from what I hear, the judges never see it anyway. Thanks!

Hi Ashley;

You got a number of good answers on why print cases are required. I Served on our Pa. state assn. print committee a number of years. We have a rule, now, that all entries must be in a print case. We never worried about prints in print / mailing cases. However, I know I opened up 16x20 paper boxes expecting the worst. There is no protection. The cases get stacked up on top of each other in moving them from the studio of the print chairperson where they were shipped to the hotel. I know I'd be a nervous wreck envisioning the worst with my prints in only a cardboard box.

All pro groups I know of only accept images submitted in print cases. There are hundreds of prints entered on the state level, thousands on the regional level, and tens of thousands at Imaging USA ... which not only gets submissions from all 50 states but all over the world too. Wouldn't you feel better shipping your images in a sturdy case ?

Ashley_Short
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Thank you guys so much for all the answers. I feel like I'm being really stupid about this. I guess I didn't know that you could just send the case w/o putting it in another box. How does that work? Doesn't the P.O. put stickers and such all over it, or is there a particular location on the case to slide in the addresses and whatnot? Again, sorry that this is sort of ridiculous. And, yes, I can definitely see how it would be much easier for all the ppl who open the boxes!

Cheri_MacCallum
03-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Ashley,
There's a slot for the shipping and return addresses. I usually still put tape over it to make sure it doesn't come out!

Michael_Barton
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Ashley, money is money!! You haven't asked a single stupid question yet. That's why this forum is here. It makes sense when you've seen what hundreds of cases looked piled up. There's thousands at nationals. There are some images floating around of that. Mind numbing to say the least. Thanks for bringing up a great topic. Some great points.

Ashley_Short
03-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Michael,

Thanks for being reassuring! I had a print on display in San Antonio and when I was looking around we saw a lot of them had accidentally been damaged by tape of some sort. eek. :( I can only image what a mess it is trying to keep everything organized! I can't even keep my office organized!!!!

Cheri,
Thank you! That was really the part I never saw/ understood!

Michael_Barton
03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Michael! I never noticed the quotation at the bottom of your signature. How great is that! Thanks for a little inspiration.

Michael_Gan
03-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Other Michael,
You're welcome! :)

Keith_A_Howe
03-29-2008, 02:24 AM
http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133358&highlight=Dingwell#post133358

just a reminder that you can use boxes for national (only) this year.

Keith

andiegoodman
03-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Keith. It starts to get expensive when cases don't come back in time for regionals.

Rick_Massarini
03-29-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Keith. It starts to get expensive when cases don't come back in time for regionals.

Just remember that if you send you entries in to National in anything other than an approved print case, the prints will not be returned to you - they will be discarded at the end of the judging or after being exhibited at the Convention if they hang. Now if you're sure that all four are going to go Loan, then it's no big deal since PPA will be keeping the prints anyway !!!
Always think positive !!!

Teri_Quance
04-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Michael....

I found you!!!

xo, TQ

Linda_Gregory
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, have been scrambling for a week now to get my prints ready for HOA. They must arrive by the 9th if shipping, hand delivery Friday.

I was going to hand deliver but now must ship because of other commitments making me late to the convention.

Looked all over....we moved last month....can't find my case!!!!

I'm wondering if one of the movers thought it was trash. In any case, *sigh* May be skipping comp this year on the local level.

Thanks to the help I got from every one to make it in time!