PDA

View Full Version : Image comments

Steve_Vandegrift
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone. I have been dragging my feet in regards to entering a competition but I know its time to ___ or get off the pot. My local PPA is having a competition next month so I was thinking about entering a recent image. I read some comments on other images and think they are very helpful. So....
Can someone please give me the good and bad about this possible submission print? I am open to everything! And, if it is worthy being entered in a competition, does anyone have a title idea?
And, I can't decide if I should crop in to take out the tree on the right (so as to off-set the subject more to the last 3rd...)
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Art_Wright
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
I thought it could use a little contrast...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/0011a.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Steve;

I like this image. I'm posting how I see it possibly being presented. It will still have to be finished a good bit deeper. I hope my version helps you see some possibilities.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Unity.jpg

Noelle_Zaleski
03-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I like this image!!

Teya_Rutherford
03-26-2008, 01:54 AM
It could definitely use the cropping, darkening and contrast boost discussed and added above, but for me, it doesn't have the impact I'd expect to see in a merit image. The very narrow DOF isn't helping, nor is the shadow that they are standing in...

Stacey_West
03-26-2008, 02:38 AM
If you flip this image the road they are walking on leads into, rather than out of, the image which looks a little better to me. I don't mind the DOF but I agree with the comment regarding the shadow. A long evening shadow coming from the family would give this image more interest in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

Steve_Vandegrift
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Thank you (everybody that posted)!! Eventhough there are a few things that people don't like, I think it will be a good learning experience to submit this. Hopefully I won't be laughed out of the competition! :D
More comments welcomed! And more name/title ideas appreciated too!
Steve

D._Craig_Flory
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Steve;

Keep us up to date on your progress on this image as you work it.

Steve_Vandegrift
03-27-2008, 03:28 AM
here is an image with a few of the changes (contrast, flip image) made. Does this help any?

D._Craig_Flory
03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Steve;

Flipping, for the reasons given, is good. However, you cropped off the wrong side. Try again and crop so they are on the 4th quadrant ... on the right side of the presentation. You cropped off almost all of the path that leads our eyes to them now.