PDA

View Full Version : portrait for CC

Laura_Piazza
03-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Thoughts on this image for comp? Would love some feedback.

Bigger image can been seen at:

http://www.naturalexpressions-photo.com/nhppa/

Thanks!

Debra_Warner
03-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Laura,

I'm not a judge, but I will weigh in my thoughts.
1. I hear kids need room to grow, although I'm not sure if that's still true when dealing with head shots.
2. I would like to see his hair cleaned up on the camera left side, as my eye keeps going back to it.
3. He's broad lit. He's a cute chubby faced little boy, I think short lighting would help him
4. Bump up your contrast a bit
Also, a hair light, accent light or something is needed to separate him from your background and give him some depth.

You need to be able to tell some sort of story with your image. If your image doesn't tell it, you should have a strong title. What would you call this since it doesn't actually tell me what he is doing or what he is looking at?

This is obviously a very salable image.. I'm sure the mom love it! Again, I'm not a judge, just weighing in with my thoughts.

My thoughts,
Debi

Noelle_Zaleski
03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree with Deb. He has gorgeous eyes so i think a tighter crop would be good.

D._Craig_Flory
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Laura;

This is a really cute image for a client. I love the huge eyes ... they remind me of an artist, in the 70's, who painted images of kids with big eyes. However, for competition it will probably get a score in the low to mid 70's.

Already pointed out is the broad lighting. The hair is not a big issue with me ... if everything else carried it including a good title. Also pointed out ... he is wayyyyy too big. That is not only too big in the entire presentation but the subject layer is cropped right up against his head. One of the biggest problems for me are the white stripes. If you turned this upside down your eyes would go right to the stripes instead of his face. The background lighting is very uneven ... very bright to his right side and dark to his left side.

Laura_Piazza
03-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback. This will be my first competition. The things I loved about the image (his emphasized chubby cheeks and his messy hair) seem to be the things that would hold me back. It is so hard to be subjective about your own photos. I really appreciate coming on here and getting feedback from everyone. I am really learning to see my images differently. Hopefully I'll be able to find one that will do well in competition. Thanks again for the critiques!

Michael_Gan
03-27-2008, 12:55 AM
What's really neat about this image is that it almost seems like the kid is leaping out of the image! Nice dimensionality of the lighting.

Art_Wright
03-27-2008, 01:25 AM
How can this be broad or short lighting when he is square on to the camera...?:D

Debra_Warner
03-27-2008, 01:47 AM
How can this be broad or short lighting when he is square on to the camera...?:D

Are you being funny?? I started to respond to this but then thought you were just being rhetoric.. :rolleyes:

Art_Wright
03-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Well, since short lighting emphasizes the "short" side of the face, and broad lighting lites the "broad" side of the face, and he is facing square on to the camera, how can it be broad or short lighting? Good call, Debra; you can never tell with me when I am serious (unless I tell you, like now...). ;)