PDA

View Full Version : Last one for print comp

AmyElliott
03-24-2008, 03:54 AM
All American Girl. Like I said this is my first time entering PPA competition. I am trying to get a grip on what does well.
Thoughts?

Amy

Jacob_Chinn
03-24-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm in the same boat as you and have never entered, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Overall I like the shot, I like her hair posing and the lighting.

Here are the things that bother me. The color is a little reddish/pink on my monitor (she looks sunburned). I think the vignette/edge burn is a little strong and would look nicer if it were less intense. Lastly I'm not so sure about the camera tilt/body angle, she just looks kind of crooked to me.

Just my thoughts.

D._Craig_Flory
03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Amy;

I echo what has already been said. Because of the vignette, it makes the background behind her too noticeable and draws away from her. Her skin is a bit too red. I don't like the crooked photo. Diagonal is one of the most strong compositions but I don't like turning it to achieve that.

Also, her right claw (I mean hand) is not posed well. Look at images in one of the PPA Loan Collection, or General Collection Books and look at hands.

She is cute and pretty. I have found, very often, the best scoring images are without teeth ... either a Mona Lisa type smile or a pensive or introspective look.

I do like the lighting pattern. There is a lack of enough room abover her head in the composition. It would have worked better with more room and with putting her head on the 3rd quadrant.

AmyElliott
03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I do have more room in the sooc image. Is the image worth reworking for entering? Or rshould I just scrap it? The skin tones I think look red becasue I left it in ARGB when I posted it.

Thanks
Amy

D._Craig_Flory
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Amy;

I am sure you have better ... I wouldn't enter it.

AmyElliott
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you for the straight up honesty:)