PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you "flunk"?...

Paul_Witkowski
03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not seeing anything in the application materials that addresses what happens if you do not pass either your image review or your exam. Are you automatically allowed to re-sumbit images, or do you have to re-apply with a new fee? Likewise, after getting approval of the images let's say you then "flunk" the written exam initially. What happens then?

Mark_Levesque
03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, first a former East German swimmer comes and gives you a spanking. Then... No, that's something else. :D

But seriously. You get two years to pass both requirements without re-applying with a new fee.

MarieCurtis
03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Paul - thank you for bringing it to someone's attention that there is little information if you have to do it again. Hopefully your liaison can fill you in.
You can retake the test after 30 days, and we only conduct image reviews 4 times a year. The next deadline is May 9. If you submit prints, they are only judged once a year and the next judging is June 23, 2008.
I guess we are so optimistic that everyone will pass, we didn't cover the issues you brought up in the applications. Most exam proctors and state liaisons should have that information, but i am sure they wouldn't want to discourage anyone by bringing up that contingency when you take the exam.
Marie M. Curtis, M. photog. CPP

D._Craig_Flory
03-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Paul;

I replied to your e-mail about where to take the exam. Mark gave you the right answer ... two years. Many years ago I gave the exam to one of our state presidents. On the 4th try he passed it. You should have heard the applause when he announced it at one of our state meetings !!! That was probably in the late 80's or early 90's. (yes, I've been giving the exam for a long time now since soon after I got certified in 1986)

Karen_Linsley
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I just want to add not to get discouraged if you don't pass the first time around. More people than you know took more than one try. I passed the written exam first time around, but not the image review. If you don't pass the first time around, get help. Mark has a series of threads here about the written exam, and many here will help with critiquing images.