PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance with This Image?

Julie_DeGuia
03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I am entering the PPW print competition and need to get my images printed this week. I have two for sure and am trying to find a couple more.

I like this image but truthfully I did not have a tripod available at the time and it is up at 1600 ISO which did not fare so well in the low light. Sooo... I intentionally added more grain to at least give it a uniform look.

I'll attach the full image and then a 100% crop to see the added grain. Any chance with this? For titles I was thinking:
"Standing Watch"

Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/Sunset-resize.jpg?t=1205794176

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/SunsetSample-resize.jpg?t=1205794206

Jeff_Dachowski
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Julia,
would you do me a favor? Would you take out the phone lines between the buildings and make the stacks or whatever the verticals are coming out of the huts uniform. I feel that this type of image need unifomity.
Jeff

Laura_Piazza
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Julia, I have never been to a competition, so can't comment beyond my personal taste. I love the image. I do agree that no wires would improve it. On that same token, maybe take out the second smoke stack so all three buildings have one stack to add to the uniformity.
good luck!

Keith_A_Howe
03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Julie
Is there more room around the image? As it is now it is 3 huts in a sunset. I would like to see more beach with the huts to the right side. . . The grain I feel would not add to the story so in this case it hurts the image and as a result I do not see this scoring very high as it is. Have you tried noiseware to remove the 1600 ISO effects or just add grain to try to cover it?
Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
That is a nice image. I like the suggestions made by Kieth.

D._Craig_Flory
03-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Julie;

Here's my take on it. I hope it gives you some ideas. I called it "Greeting The Dawn" ... just to give you one more title idea.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/GreetingTheDawn.jpg

Julie_DeGuia
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I cleaned it up a bit and this time tried to reduce some of the noise in CS2.

No, I do not have any more of the image to use. This is about it.

So any better, or is it a competition dud?

Thanks,
Julie

P.S. I have been trying to post this since last night but Photobucket wasn't taking my uploads.

Craig, what was your thought process on adding the extra burgandy strip on the bottom? Thanks. Also, I really like your title but this was taken at dusk/sunset! :-)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/Sunset2-resize.jpg?t=1205856677

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/SunsetSample2-resize.jpg?t=1205857682

D._Craig_Flory
03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Julie;

That was a fluke ... in trying to not take off your name. I wasn't trying to add another color.

As I said ... my title was simply to throw out another one which could be used any time.

I entered an engagement image a couple years ago. It was done at dusk along the Susquehanna River. I called it "Dawn of Love" because "Dusk of Love" sounded awful. So you don't need to reflect the actual time an image was created in the title. (unless the panel would all know the location & know the title was not in keeping for that place and time of day)

Keith_A_Howe
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
No, I do not have any more of the image to use. This is about it.
This would be a very easy image to stretch and create more room.

So any better, or is it a competition dud? It's better. What is your goal? Will you only be happy with merits? I am not sure this will make it. I do not think it will embarass you though.
Make sure the silohette is BLACK and then make the background mat black also. The black surrounding the image will help the colors to pop, which is what will give this print impact. Forget the double border. It doesn't improve the image and so it is a liability

Craig, I really like your title but this was taken at dusk/sunset! :-)

The judges have no idea when it was taken. So you can name it whatever you want. P.S. D. Craig was posting about the title at the same time I was.

Keith_A_Howe
03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Here's what I meant about stretching the image. In this low res file the transformation is pretty obvious but you should have better results going back to the original. Also see how much more the color pops on a black background.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/JulieDeGuia.jpg

jenniferfeeney
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Julie,

Never done comp before, but I love the image, and really like how Keith "stretched" it. Better overall composition and doesn't feel as crowded.

Heather_L._Smith
03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow... I love the adaptation Keith did. It makes the image feel completely different (in a good way!).

Julie_DeGuia
03-18-2008, 09:45 PM
It's better. What is your goal? Will you only be happy with merits?

While I would like to see 4 merits (who wouldn't?) this is my first competition and I have a lot to learn so we will see. I am pretty competitive but I will definitely not be dissappointed this go around!

Keith - I really like the way you can see the potential in images, and I like what you did with my image. I have never stretched an image before. Would you mind sharing the technique? Or anyone else who knows how, I would appreciate some tips so I can give it a try.

Thanks again!
Julie

Julie_DeGuia
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
OK. I'm not sure of the best method for stretching an image. I tried to select an area on the left of the image and then used the Edit-transform-distort function and it worked..... but there is a definite change in the look. You can tell the pixels are getting elongated and I'm not sure how it would print out.

Is there a better way, or if the distort function is a good way then is there an extra step to kind of integrate the stretched portion?

Thanks,
Julie

Noelle_Zaleski
03-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I love all the suggestions. It's really nice to have options you may not have thought about before.

Art_Wright
03-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I think Keith might have extended the canvas, and then cloned parts of the original into the extended area...

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Julie
You need to do it on a high res file. You can use Art's method if you just don't have enough file to transform with out showing. Copy and paste what you do have to work with, flatten and patch / blend together a couple of times before you stretch the file. Use your marque tyo make the selection then use Edit Transform. grab a box and drag to the size you need. If you still see artifacts after transforming, you may need to keep the image smaller on the presentation. I have not done this on a 1600 ISO file before. You might also try using the noiseware filter again afterwards as well. If so make a dup layer then run the filter and erase out the shacks to keep them sharp if nesc. You may not be able to stretch this image without objectionable artifacting, so this may be a lost cause. But it's worth trying, plus look at all you will learn in the process.

Keep this in mind in the future so when you photograph this type of image you remember to keep the space and composition so you don't have to build it in PS.

Keith