PDA

View Full Version : Ed Pierce: Captivated by the Light

David_Piet
03-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Has anyone been to the 4 hour seminar? I'm going this Sunday. Is it worth the time?

Mike_Fulton
03-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Yes it is worth the time, at least for me it was.

While I am on the DVD you get when you go, it was the other people on the DVD that made the class well worth going to me.

Having a chance to see how The Woods workflow works, how others shoot weddings, capture images, see the light, etc. is all worth the $19 dollars and 4 hours of time.

Plus Ed is a very good speaker so the entire program was well worth it for me!

David_Piet
03-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks! That's good to know. I just attended Reznicki's seminar which I really enjoyed. I'm hoping this one will be as informative.

Stephanie_Millner
03-14-2008, 03:53 AM
So... how do you get this class for $19? It looks like it's $49 on the website.

David_Piet
03-14-2008, 04:27 AM
I believe PPA members just need to put "PPA" in the discount code box.

Stephanie_Millner
03-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Awesome. Just signed up for DC. :)

KristiSanger
03-14-2008, 05:11 AM
I tried to sign up for the Seattle one as soon as I received the ad in the mail. It was sold out:(

Kristi

Louise_St.Romain
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I signed up for the one in Philadelphia; looking forward to it.

David_Piet
03-17-2008, 12:20 AM
I just got back from the seminar. The scheduled time was from 12:30 to 4:30. The first hour was for the trade show. There were perhaps a dozen vendors and 500 attendees (yes, it was difficult to get close to the vendor tables).

It ended at 5:00. There was a 30 minute break around 3:30.

Most of the time was spent watching videos. Ed talked between videos and did a demonstration of studio exposure and color balance. We saw a lot of nice pictures, but not a lot of instruction. Ed is a proponent of constant light and a lot of time was spent promoting constant light and the equipment he uses.

Ed is a good speaker and the seminar was interesting. It had the overall feel of a sales presentation, but there was absolutely no sales pressure.

I haven't watched the 4 hour DVD that was given to each attendee yet, so I can't comment on that.

All in all, it was definitely worth the $19 and 4 1/2 hours. I have no intention of changing to constant light in my studio, but it was interesting seeing another viewpoint.

The end of the seminar was extremely emotional, but you'll have to see that for yourself.

Linda_Gregory
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
I was there, too. I was surprised at the amount of equipment and help he had in his video of outdoor photography and how flat the lighting was. I've seen many photographers with less equipment have better modeling light on faces.

I also have not watched the dvd but did come home re-ethused for another week!

George_Hawkins
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I have seen the way he presents. His date in my area is the day after NEIPP school ends! I think I'll be so "overloaded", so I'll not sign up.

He is a "character"; we crossed paths in the VI, both sailing different boats!