PDA

View Full Version : Could Someone Expand on Keith's Scores Thread

MarilynDillon
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Keith's thread is great and helped to clarify a lot of things for me. I do have some additional questions -
What is an "affiliate" judging?
What is a "seal" - how do you get it and what does it mean?
How do you get merits for PPA?
If you merit in your state competition, does that count as a PPA merit?
If you enter in your state, would you enter the same images in your Regional competition?
And, what about the "gold corners?" what are those?

Oh - I guess I have a lot of questions.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok Lets see if I can get all of this covered.

An affiliate judging is one that you get PPA merits for. PPANE is an affiliate judging.

A seal is a seal of approval. You get one when you get a merit at an affiliate judging. A seal of approval means an automatic merit at the national level when you enter that print there. If you get a blue ribbon at PPANE its an automatic merit at the next national judging.

You get merits only at the PPA national judging and an affiliate judging. State merits dont count.

You dont have to enter a regional or affiliate judging with the prints that you used at the state level. The state level is usually where most people start their newer prints out on a trial basis. You can enter an entirely new set of prints to regionals or nationals. Thats why some states take more than 4 prints from each person who enters.

Gold corners are the corners that are put on the corner of the print when the judging is done. A gold corner with no ribbon means its been accepted into the print display but did not qualify for a white ribbon.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I e-mailed Micahel about this when Iw as serving jury duty yeesterday, but since there's a new thread . . .

I got a gold corner on the right that said PPA something that had my name and score (80) and some other stuff I don't recall. It had a white ribbon that said PPNC Court of Honor, and it had a left side SEPPA gold corner. Michael explained it to me, but it's not easy to copy and paste at this moment. Anyone else want to chime in on what all that means? And does this mean (what I gather from Rick's post in another thread) that I send my print to nationals, not SEPPA or PPNC? I go tomorrow to pick up my prints, by the way. Can't wait to see them again.

Elizabeth

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Elizabeth,

Im not sure which competition you entered that print into. State competitions dont get merits towards the PPA degrees. Regional print comp merits do.

When you get it back, the one that scored an 80 will have a seal of approval with the jury chairs signature on the back. That means when you enter it into Nationals its an automatic merit. You have to enter it into nationals in order to get the merit.

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2008, 03:12 AM
That means when you enter it into Nationals its an automatic merit. You have to enter it into nationals in order to get the merit.

And don't you have to enter it the same year it received a seal at Regionals to get a merit at Nationals?

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2008, 03:15 AM
It had a white ribbon that said PPNC Court of Honor, and it had a left side SEPPA gold corner. And does this mean (what I gather from Rick's post in another thread) that I send my print to nationals, not SEPPA or PPNC?

Since North Carolina hosted SEPPA this year, it would make sense that you received credit toward NC degree (thus the PPNC ribbon) AND a merit at an affiliated regional (SEPPA).

And, yes, at this point, you would send that print(s) to Nationals - they actually can NOT (if I'm not mistaken) be submitted again at a Regional.

Rick_Massarini
03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
I've worked at the national judging for many many years, and the main reason I joined this forum was to try to help people understand the mechanics and the workings of the judgings - it does get a bit confusing for the uninitiated. So maybe I can answer some of your questions...

Q: What is an "affiliate" judging?
A: An affiliate judging is usually a regional print competition. Regional groups are usually composed of several member state associations (for example, SouthWestern PPA is comprised of Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico). They are sometimes hosted by one of the member states in conjunction with their conventions (Texas usually hosts SWPPA). The Affiliate multi-state organizations hold conventions and judgings give you a "first-try" at a merit before sending it to the national judging. You become a member of the regional through your state affiliate organizaton. You can be a member of and enter only one regional affiliate judging each year. The exception is Commercial and Electronic Imaging which are ONLY judged at SEPPA, so if you are a member of another regional group, such as SWPPA, Heart Of America, etc, and you wish to enter Commercial or EI entries, you must send your prints to SEPPA. Affilifated judgings are very tightly regulated by the PPA-PEC (Photographic Exhibition Committee) and must abide by all national standards and use only PEC qualified jurors and jury chairmen. PPA-Affliliated judgings award "Seals of Approval" for prints that score in the "Deserving of a Merit" range or above.

Q: What is a "seal" - how do you get it and what does it mean?
A: A "Seal" is a sticker that is signed, dated, and attached to the back of a print by a PEC Jury Chairman indicating that this image has scored in the Merit range at a PPA Affiliated regional judging. This "Seal" is not a merit. It is a "Seal-of-Approval" meaning that it will RECEIVE a merit if that exact same print that bears the seal is submitted to the VERY NEXT PPA National Judging. Prints that score 80 or above at a PPA regional will receive this "Seal-of-Approval". The merit is NOT recorded at the regional, it is only recorded at the National judging, so if you do not send the image to the VERY next PPA National judging, it will not receive it's merit. Seals are time sensitive - they expire if they are not submitted to the VERY NEXT National judging.

Q: How do you get merits for PPA?
A: You receive exhibition merits for having prints accepted in the judgings and exhibited at the PPA national convention. If an image is judged to be of exceptional quality and is accepted into the PPA Loan Collection, PPA retains the print for it's permanent exhibition and you receive an additional merit (One merit for a PPA Exhibition print and Two merits for a Loan print) You can receive speaking merits for presenting educational programs to your peers. You can receive service merits for performing services in support of your local, state, regional, and national associations. These services can include chairing a convention or a national convention committee, managing a regional print competition, working at the national judging, etc...

Q: If you merit in your state competition, does that count as a PPA merit?
A: State print merits do not count towards a PPA degree, they are only applicable towards your state degrees. However, if your state is hosting a PPA Affiliiate judging in conjunction with your state convention, your 80+ score would receive a "Seal-of-Approval" from the regional group that you were hosting. If it was just a state judging, it would not count as a national merit.

Q: If you enter in your state, would you enter the same images in your Regional competition?
A: Sure - if the print scores high, send it to regional or national. If it does not score high, you may wish to reconsider the contents of the print case that you send to your regional judging, since regional and national judgings allow a maximum of 4 entries per year.

Q: And, what about the "gold corners?" what are those?
A: Gold "accepted for exhibition" corners are traditionally awarded to prints that are accepted for exhibition by a state, regional, or by PPA National. They are a public notice of your accomplishment, and can be displayed in your studio on the prints indicating that the print has been accepted for exhibition at (whatever) convention. The qualifications for a gold corner vary from state to state. Exhibition corners are usually placed on the upper left corner of the print while special (higher) award corners (such as a State Court of Honor, Regional Seal-of-Approval or PPA Loan Collection) are traditionally placed on the upper right hand corner of the print. Some states use gold corners, some use ribbons in place of the gold corners, it varies per the state's traditions.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, or if I wasn't clear enough on something I said, please let me know - and ask away!!! If I don't know the right answer, I know someone from whom I can get the right answer..

Keith_A_Howe
03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Well Done Rick!
Keith

Dave_Cisco
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Well done, Rick, indeed.:)

Michael_Gan
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I e-mailed Micahel about this when Iw as serving jury duty yeesterday, but since there's a new thread . . .

I got a gold corner on the right that said PPA something that had my name and score (80) and some other stuff I don't recall. It had a white ribbon that said PPNC Court of Honor, and it had a left side SEPPA gold corner. Michael explained it to me, but it's not easy to copy and paste at this moment. Anyone else want to chime in on what all that means? And does this mean (what I gather from Rick's post in another thread) that I send my print to nationals, not SEPPA or PPNC? I go tomorrow to pick up my prints, by the way. Can't wait to see them again.

ElizabethMichael? Which Michael? Not me Michael:)

MarilynDillon
03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Rick- thanks so much for all that information.
Much appreciated and so much clearer now.
I will be starting at the NHPPA in April and then PPANE in September, which is being hosted in New Hampshire this year. I think the State one will be a good one to try first and see how my prints fare.