PDA

View Full Version : wedding portrait for critique

Laura_Piazza
03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd love to get some input on this portrait I am thinking of entering in my first competition. thanks!

Keith_A_Howe
03-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Laura
It would be a lot easier to comment if the image was larger. Try joining www.photobucket.com a free service (but remember to put your copyright on the image). Size to aprox 8x10 at 100dpi and then upload to photobucket. Next copy the "image tag" by clicking it and switch to ourppa and paste into your post.
Keith

Laura_Piazza
03-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi Keith,
Thanks for the post. I have put it (along with my other possibilities) on my site's server. The link to see it larger is below. Thanks for your looking!

http://www.naturalexpressions-photo.com/nhppa/

I'd love your opinion on the other ones you haven't seen. I am new to this so am still learning about how to know what's good enough competition. I appreciate you looking.

Laura

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Laura;

Till later ... a quick observation. I see you presenting your images ala museum style with matting. A case in point is the larger version of the couple. It has a black frame (screaming "look at me") a white matte, and an accent line outside of the subject layer instead of around it. Please search through the competition threads here and look at how a lot of them are presented. I also recommend buying one, or more, of the PPA General Collection and / or Loan Collection Books to see how images look that merit.

In addition, if I am correct, you are a member of the New Hampshire group. Try to find someone knowledgable who would be willing to help you along.

In my view, the food image is your strongest. But that distracting white accent line has to be #1 a subtle color chosen from the image #2 as thin a line as possible while still separating the subject layer from the bkgrd. layer.

Teya_Rutherford
03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
my two cents: I can't really tell their relationship (are they bride and groom or bride and father?), the background is competing heavily with them and they are very centered in the frame.

I think your conversion is lovely and the image is very pretty, but I don't think it has the impact you would want for a competition print.

Laura_Piazza
03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Great idea about getting a PPA general collection book for reference, D. Craig Flory. I think that will be very helpful for me and appreciate the suggestion. Thanks for looking and advise everyone!