PDA

View Full Version : I got an 80!

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-09-2008, 03:41 PM
walking the print ex looking for names--I got an80, ppnc ribbon, and sepia thing on corner! Yeah! Also, just saw sandra's after the rain 87! Stay tuned I jut got here

Robin_Arkenberg
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Congratulations! Show us your image.

Andrea_Chapelo
Way To Go!!

Elizabeth_Pokela
sandra--under their spell 88;
African prince 90! Go girl!

Ron_Jackson
03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Way to go Elizabeth and Sandra!! Well done and congratulations!

Lori_Clapp
03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm jealous - I wish I was somewhere looking at print scores right now!! Good job girls, thanks for keeping us updated Elizabeth - I hope Sandra has seen her scores! Maybe she's passed our somewhere from doing so well!

Michael_Barton
03-09-2008, 04:49 PM
More word for Elizabeth. She is busy trying to get more scores. Here's what we have so far:

Sandra pearce after 87, Africa 90, under 88

Liz Vance 5 days 81

Cheri m peonies 83, rossi 85, iris 81, troical 80

John Stein Serenity 80, mystic 80

I have 2 prints reported on out of 4:

Innocence Lost 96
Birds of Flights 83

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for the rest. God bless the iPhone! Ha. Thank you to Elizabeth. I hope everyone will send her a gift!

Ron_Jackson
03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow some amazing scores! Cheri goes 4 for 4 and Sandra has one more to report on and she might go 4 for 4 and Michael has a 96!! and is working towards a 4 for 4! And Ron....well.....Ron is lost and apparently didn't do so well. Dang. Oh well, I still learned an awful lot. Great going guys!

Michael_Gan
03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Do these images receive PPA seal of approvals?

John_Stein
03-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Do these images receive PPA seal of approvals?

Michael,

Yes,

John

John_Stein
03-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Congrats to everyone so far.

John

Liz_Vance
03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I got an 81!! Yay! (Thanks for the info Michael!)

This is my first seal. Everything has been state so far.

(I'm feeling pretty good right now - I don't even need the caffeine!)

DiannaAllen
03-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm dying here... the supense is killing me... :eek: Someone go offer to help get the scores posted on the SEPPA website. Elizabeth is only one person poor girl and there are thousands of prints.

Lori_Clapp
03-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Holy cow those are some awesome scores! Good job people!

Marc_Benjamin
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
High five's everyone!

ChontelleBrown
03-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Congratulations everyone! I so wish I had gotten my prints ready for SEPPA. How exciting!

Mark_Levesque
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Michael-

Let's see the whopper!

Michael_Barton
03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Mark. This one is called:

Innocence Lost

It used to be called Firedance, but thought was found to be a little obscure.

Cheri_MacCallum
03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks Michael and Elizebeth for letting me know!!! I've been watching the seppa site all day and no posts on scores yet!!

Congratulations everyone!!!

Michael_Barton
03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah, that's why that disappeared. . . Ha! Here's the print with guideprints.

Pardon the nudity.

Valerie_Harte
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Very cool Michael... and congratulations everyone...

you haven't seen any of mine have you? I am dying for the scores to go up... yeah, patience is NOT one of my virtues.

andiegoodman
03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Fantastic job. Congratulations to all of you. Now post them so we can remember what they look like. :D

Michael_Barton
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's the other print for now. This scored an 83 and was a last minute image. I wanted something more "tangible" just in case the others were too strange! Ha. This is called "Birds of Flight". These are all E.I. I am new to the category and still trying to figure out what works. I have 4 going to state for the Open side this weekend. I've put all my energy into Open so it's nice to see things working out with E.I.

Andrea_Chapelo
03-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Very nice stuff Michael.

Congrats everyone!

Jackie_Haggerty
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
The Firedance image that Michael posted is really cool- I saw it recently and I wish you could see all of the fine detail in it- congrats! Did you enter all EI there?

DianeDavis
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Congrats to all!! So proud of you!

Noelle_Zaleski
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Congrats to all, I hope someday to enter and get a high score!!

Heather_L._Smith
03-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Woohoo everyone!! I've been dying to see the scores, so this is a great thread!!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Wayyyyy To Go!!!!
Congrats to all
Keith

Michael_Barton
03-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Now we just need the rest of the scores! Ha. I've seen "check back Sunday march 9th" a few too many times today. Can we say OCD? Ha!

DiannaAllen
03-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Know exactly what you mean Michael:( By the way congrats to everyone that knows your scoring results. The OurPPA Community is real proud!:)

Now someone please find my scores.... I went to a movie tonight to help ease the anxiety...worked while I was there and when I got back and still no scores... well I'm going to have to resort to liquid or pill form soon...;)

By the way saw "Bucket List" it was a great movie, I knew it would be Morgan & Jack always put out great performances.

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Wow - congrats everyone. I'm so excited for all of you!

Sandra_Pearce
03-10-2008, 01:25 AM
First of all Elizabeth you made my day. I can never thank you enough. I went to a rodeo this afternoon to photograph for the Cattleman's Association. I saw the first post and then I had to leave not knowing what else happened. I still have one to go in EI. Biting my nails like everyone else. I was so happy with my scores. Lori I did feel like fainting. As hard as we work on these prints they are our babies. Thank everyone for their comments. Thought I would post a real tense moment. At least we are safe while we wait. I have lots of fun shots.

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-10-2008, 01:53 AM
My iPhone, love it though I do, went dead while I was there and then I had to rush back to Greensboro for my boys' last hockey games of the season. I have checked the SEPPA website about a *thousand* times to see if results were posted like all and of course NADA!!

I tried hard to look for all familiar names, but as I said to Michael in my e-mail, they all began to sound familiar, and then I couldn't access the web from my phone anymore, so I couldn't continue posting scores. I am sorry for those that are still waiting.

I am supposed to have jury duty tomorrow, but if I get released early I will head back to Durham and if the SEPPA website hasn't posted, I will report some more. I will post from the courthouse whether I'm there or going back to Durham.

I want to talk about the experience I had more later, but I do want to say a heartfelt congratulations to all--not only those who merited. We all tried, and that's what really matters because we learn just from entering and even just from talking about entering comp. I was very proud though to see so many forum members do well, and that doesn't mean just merits, Ron;)

There is something really cool about recognizing so many names. Congrats to all and thanks so much for all I have learned from everyone during my time on the forums. Literally couldn't of done it without you--

E

Ron_Jackson
03-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Elizabeth I am so glad you were there and have worked so hard to bring us any news you could. I appreciate your taking note of my one print being judged but I do wish you had yelled at that guy who scored it a 73! :eek:

I am also glad that you have benefited from the process. The sad part of all of this for those of us who aren't there and don't merit, we have no report to know why a print was not strong enough. As you could see just by my one print, with five different opinions, a score under 80 with no feedback doesn't help much in trying to understand why? I wish that all competitions had the ability to offer a judges critique for a fee. It would certainly be worth it.

Well, now we wait for the posting. Again I thank you for your kindness in being there for those of us who couldn't.

Sandra_Pearce
03-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Elizabeth,

You did above and beyond friendship. I know how hard it is to see all the prints and keep them straight. You did a great job and we do appreciate your time and efort. We all owe you. Thank you Michael, I forgot that earlier.

Sandra

Ron_Jackson
03-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Michael yes, I didn't mean to slight you. Thank you as well for the updates and the caring about our work. You and Elizabeth both get a drink on me!

Michael_Barton
03-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Come on now! I just bribed Elizabeth with a CD of PS actions and then copied her e-mail into the thread. I think that took about a minute! She spent 8 hours watching judging and went through the countless prints in the exhibit looking for our score and no doubt getting a migraine in the process. Heck, I don't drink so they're all gonna have to go where they are deserved in the first place. Well done all. Much can be learned from print competition. More is learned if we just dive in. Kudos to all that had the courage this round. Know that the big one is coming up in July and the deadline is in early June. There's still time to join the party! Now won't we all be suckers if our prints come back with straight 77's! Ha. How well do we really know Elizabeth. . . :eek: :eek: Ha!

Just kidding. . . I hope. . .:eek: :eek:

Now to find those 4 points!

Linda_Gregory
03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Congratulations to all!

Ron, not getting feedback is a hard part of entering when you can't attend. I helped with the comp at HOA last year and got to see how they would race some through and spend time on others. It's frustrating when yours are the ones that race through but if you're attending, you can take a judge or good friend who is knowledgeable back through to discuss them. It's a great help.

Teya_Rutherford
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Congrats everyone! At least you know roughly when yours are going to be posted :) I've been looking forward to seeing the winners from PPAM and they still haven't updated the site...maybe I will volunteer to help them next time :)

Michael_Barton
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Ah, nice refreshing night of sleep. Beautiful happy dreams. Warm covers and a bright cheery beadhead smile! Ah, time for the laptop to be opened and

WHERE THE HECK ARE THOSE SCORES!!!!!! IT'S THE 10th!!!!!! I CHECKED BACK ON THE 9th!!!!!!

:D :D

I'm just kidding. . .partially. . . I work print crew and well, know EXACTLY what that is like!!!!! Um, yeah, there is probably a group of people in North Carolina right now saying:

"Shoot me! Can we please just post these so I can go anywhere but here!"

I am certain they want us to see them just as much as we would like to. When all is said and done we won't remember the wait! I do however, have a suggestion for the International Print Competition. How about a game to see who can stay online the longest and with the most hits on the refresh button?! I'll throw in a prize if anyone else will do so. We just need a system of documentation. . .Hmmm. . .

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
michael check your email cause I can't seem to post tomthw forum. It knocks I'd out f being loges in evrytimte I try I post but can read the forum at least I'm in jury duty

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
okay it worked this time. I will try to type more carefully! Anyway I kept trying to post and it wouldn't go thru so I sent you an email with some questions. Now I want to know if there is anything else to enter before nationals?

E

Linda_Gregory
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Michael, it was easy last year for Internationals.....I just waited and stayed busy until someone on here posted (one of your future contestants, I'm sure!) that they were up and off I went to see!

Still can't believe how befuddled I was at the results. May I be equally befuddled THIS year!!!!

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
for anyone who wants to see my image that got an 80 it is the one on the flash page of my website flyntimages.com the crop is slightly different but barely. Later I will try to post a larger version and my other lower scoring prints too, although I am an idiot when it comes to posting images just ask mark!

Peter_Bauer
03-11-2008, 04:17 AM
At least we are safe while we wait. I have lots of fun shots.

Hi Sandra,
As I scrolled through this thread it occurred to me how much print competition seems to mean to me these days. (I just finished packing my case for the MARC -- Illinois/Indiana regional -- and it goes out in the morning.) Seeing your images was a bit of a "grounding" moment. I rode the pro rodeo circuit (IPRA) in the '80 -- 1980s, not 1880s for those of you who have met me -- and served in combat during the (first) Gulf War. And while working with the various adhesives and glosses possibly puts my health at risk as much as enemy fire and stomping bulls, sometimes it's good to re-calibrate and get a new read on perspective.

Before I send off my case tomorrow morning, I think I'll place a call to one of my former platoon members, now serving in Afghanistan, and to my brother, the firefighter in Detroit.

Thank you, Sandra, for this wonderful reminder.
Pete

Michael_Barton
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
:D I have a theory. I haven't had enough time to completely work the kinks out, but I believe there is something to it.

You see. I'm outside of Chicago which in Central Time. That means that if it's 3:00 PM here it's actually only 1:00 PM in L.A. This is not so crazy until you start thinking of places like say, London, or Moscow and then it gets really crazy. It explains why baseball games are often played so late or having to watch the Olympics at 3 in the morning in order to watch the US get destroyed in Men's Basketball. Pretty straight forward. What I didn't realize is that if it's say 5:05 PM in Chicago (hypothetically) on march 11th (hypothetically), it's actually not even March 9th in Raleigh, North Carolina. It's closer to the 7th of March or even the 8th sometime early morning when there is peace in the air.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else still checking SEPPA? Man, this is rough. I think people have just given up and are waiting for their cases. Hmmm. Conspiracy? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it doesn't make it any less painful. That same:

"Print scores will be posted as soon as judging is completed. Please check back Sunday March 9th"

Think of those poor judges. They've been at it since Friday morning at 8:00 (7:00 my time but it's still the 7th, well, was the 7th).

Michael_Barton
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, sad to say, I did hit refresh on the scoring page when I copied that post. . .

Linda_Gregory
03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Michael, man, you need to take a rest. No more coffee for you! You have jetlag without the travel and that's no fun!

Michael_Barton
03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Linda, the worst part is I travel a lot, never get jetlag and the absolute bottom is that I don't drink caffeine!

Ron_Jackson
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Michael your work is just so superb. Love looking at your site. Very inspirational. Would you mind giving us a bit of where you came from and how you got to where you are now. Wonderful journey I'm sure.