PDA

View Full Version : dropped off my prints . . .yikes!

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
After many problems, the least of which was a last minute mounting fix by my ever dedicated frame shop friends, and a sprint to Raleigh with my sick son in tow, I made it to drop-off at exactly noon--the last possible minute, of course. I walked into the room of print committee folks unpacking others cases, and was completely freaked out. I think my hands were shaking. Everyone was so nice and helpful though, and I lived through it (thank you SEPPA guy Randy for being so patient, and Rex for returning my frantic phone call from I-40). I just want to tell you all how unnerving it was to unpack my images with 10 people looking over my shoulder and helping me. If that was tough, I can't imagine sitting through the judging of your own prints!

I'm headed back shortly to catch what I can of today's judging, and will catch some of tomorrow's too. For those of you whose prints I am looking out for, I will do my best--but they did tell me they are running 2 rooms simultaneously and there are a huge quantity of prints to be judged, so it may be hit or miss.

I want to thank you all for providing such great information on this forum. I never would've seen comp the same way without the great insight you all give to each other. I know just paying attention to the elements much more has already improved my work, and how I see it. Thanks to Keith too for your encouragement and honest assessment of my work in Tampa.

Good luck to all who are in SEPPA and the NC judging this weekend!

Elizabeth

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
After many problems, the least of which was a last minute mounting fix by my ever dedicated frame shop friends, and a sprint to Raleigh with my sick son in tow, I made it to drop-off at exactly noon--the last possible minute, of course. I walked into the room of print committee folks unpacking others cases, and was completely freaked out. I think my hands were shaking. Everyone was so nice and helpful though, and I lived through it (thank you SEPPA guy Randy for being so patient, and Rex for returning my frantic phone call from I-40). I just want to tell you all how unnerving it was to unpack my images with 10 people looking over my shoulder and helping me. If that was tough, I can't imagine sitting through the judging of your own prints!

I'm headed back shortly to catch what I can of today's judging, and will catch some of tomorrow's too. For those of you whose prints I am looking out for, I will do my best--but they did tell me they are running 2 rooms simultaneously and there are a huge quantity of prints to be judged, so it may be hit or miss.

I want to thank you all for providing such great information on this forum. I never would've seen comp the same way without the great insight you all give to each other. I know just paying attention to the elements much more has already improved my work, and how I see it. Thanks to Keith too for your encouragement and honest assessment of my work in Tampa.

Good luck to all who are in SEPPA and the NC judging this weekend!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth;

If you can ever sit in on judging, do so. You will learn a lot. Of course when my prints come up I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.

Good Luck !!!

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks! I love the spinning horseshoe/good luck thingy!

Keith_A_Howe
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Elizabeth - Good Luck. I think we have all been there, the fates ganging up on us to throw all kinds of troubles in our way when we try to get our print case in on time. Wanna hear a few of my horror stories? I left one of Holly's completed prints (artworked, mounted sprayed DONE) sitting on our big blade paper cutter. Of course the blade was up . . . but not for long. It fell and chopped a big corner completely off the print. Then there was the other time we were boxing both of our cases into a "homemade" box to next day air to a friend in the judging city, so he could hand carry the cases for us. As I was cutting the cardboard with a box knife, I slipped and sliced Holly's arm. . . enough to make a trip to the emergency room. Hey - I guess my worst horror stories both involve stuff that I did to Holly. Now you know why she has lots of nice jewelry.

Something I want you and every first timer to remember, your prints are just what you do. They are not who you are. Regardless of where you score, high or low, it doesn't reflect on who you are as a person or a photographer. It's just like a mile marker to tell you how far down the road you are. I am telling you this because it took us a long time to figure that out.

So back to a lighter note - lets side track Elizabeth's thread and hear some other print case horror stories.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Elizabeth - Good Luck. I think we have all been there, the fates ganging up on us to throw all kinds of troubles in our way when we try to get our print case in on time. Wanna hear a few of my horror stories? I left one of Holly's completed prints (artworked, mounted sprayed DONE) sitting on our big blade paper cutter. Of course the blade was up . . . but not for long. It fell and chopped a big corner completely off the print. Then there was the other time we were boxing both of our cases into a "homemade" box to next day air to a friend in the judging city, so he could hand carry the cases for us. As I was cutting the cardboard with a box knife, I slipped and sliced Holly's arm. . . enough to make a trip to the emergency room. Hey - I guess my worst horror stories both involve stuff that I did to Holly. Now you know why she has lots of nice jewelry.

Something I want you and every first timer to remember, your prints are just what you do. They are not who you are. Regardless of where you score, high or low, it doesn't reflect on who you are as a person or a photographer. It's just like a mile marker to tell you how far down the road you are. I am telling you this because it took us a long time to figure that out.

So back to a lighter note - lets side track Elizabeth's thread and hear some other print case horror stories.

Keith

Hi Keith;

How many times have you seen photographers in the room next to judging putting on "just one more coat" of hi-gloss lacquer ? :D

Then they wondered why their prints stuck together. :eek:

DianeDavis
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Best of luck to you- and congrats on your first time.

Andrea_Chapelo
03-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Good Luck Elizabeth!!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Keith;

How many times have you seen photographers in the room next to judging putting on "just one more coat" of hi-gloss lacquer ? :D

Then they wondered why their prints stuck together. :eek:

Actually never. In the first place, bad idea to spray in an environment where you can't control dust and secondly most people are smart enough to know the lacquer doesn't dry that fast. So they aren't spraying two minutes before they turned in thier case. If that's happening in PA it explains a lot. (For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of spraying lacquer, the fumes can make you goofy.);)

Marc_Benjamin
03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Elizabeth,

This year, it cost me a last minute plane ticket ($350), $50 in cab rides and 2 ($300) nights at a hotel to get my darn case in all of which I could have done for $10 ground shipping if I just got my lazy self to get things together 1 week earlier.

Anyways, good vibes and happy thoughts for your prints!

Lori_Clapp
03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Lol, I was going to say, it's not so much that fate is against us, it's more that we are pushing fate! If we allowed ourselves an extra half hour even, to fix anything that goes wrong, we would probably all feel a lot better! But no, we wait until the last possible nano-second to turn them in!

Keith, I want to know if you still entered the one you chopped the corner off - did Holly just tape it back together? Haha, I'm sure I know the answer to that one! And how about when she needed to go to the ER, did she at least wait until you got the case sent off? :D :D

DiannaAllen
03-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Good Luck Elizabeth...know how you're feeling for sure!!:eek:

Rick_Massarini
03-08-2008, 07:23 AM
...Print Lacquering...
Has anyone else seen (too too many years ago) one or Ralph Pyle's programs on print finishing???

He showed a photo of the brick wall of a fellow photographers studio's finishing room - the guy had sprayed some prints and left the exhaust fan off to reduce the possibility of dust being carried onto the prints, then after placing the prints into a drying box, he turned on the exhaust fan to get rid of the fumes. There was a huge hole in the brick wall of the studio where the lacquer fumes exploded after the exhaust fan threw a spark... The photographer, unfortunately, did not survive the blast...

Ron_Jackson
03-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Elizabeth the best of luck to you. I wish I were there with you to see the judging.

Did somebody say they are going to post the scores on the SEPPA website?

Rick, another good reason the technology has caught up and now spraying prints for gloss is no longer necessary.

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2008, 03:10 PM
...Print Lacquering...
Has anyone else seen (too too many years ago) one or Ralph Pyle's programs on print finishing???

He showed a photo of the brick wall of a fellow photographers studio's finishing room - the guy had sprayed some prints and left the exhaust fan off to reduce the possibility of dust being carried onto the prints, then after placing the prints into a drying box, he turned on the exhaust fan to get rid of the fumes. There was a huge hole in the brick wall of the studio where the lacquer fumes exploded after the exhaust fan threw a spark... The photographer, unfortunately, did not survive the blast...

Hi Rick;

That makes me glad I bought a spray booth with the explosion proof squirell cage motor years ago.

Sandra_Pearce
03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Ron,

The SEPPA site states the scores will be posted tomorrow. Maybe they will. I know the waiting is killing you.

Sandra