PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I? Never entered Comp before.

Angela_Lawson
03-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, since I've been reading about so many people entering competition to help improve their photography, I thought I'd try for an opinion. I don't know anything about competition except what I've read here in the last couple of weeks that I've been on the PPA forums. And I'm working on my May image submissions for certification right now, but thought I'd put these two versions of an image that I really like out for cc. It was a commission work that was used once for a brochure, but I retained all rights to the image after their use. Do either version have competion potential? Also, for those of you already certified, do you think this image would pass for certification, as it was a commissioned work?

And yes, I do know that I've missed any competitions except for PPA this summer, so maybe I'm making a mistake in trying there first, but that's why I'm looking for any cc you care to give.

Thanks.

P.S. I have no title yet - ideas welcome.

D._Craig_Flory
03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Angela;

Our Pa. state convention was moved to October this year. So, you could enter our competition as an out of state entrant. Please let me know if you would like more info about our annual print competition.

I checked the 2007 print rules. For an out of state entrant, the print case fee is $60.00. The shipping fee for returning the case is $20.00. If you would like to read last year's rules: http://www.ppaofpa.org/past.htm & click Print Rules 2007 .

Keith_A_Howe
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Angela, For print competition the challenge to this image would be the time of day it was created. It appears that it was taken mid-day on a hazy day. The lighting appears pretty much straight down and because of that the scene is flattened. If you photographed this same scene at sunrise or sunset depending on which direction this is facing, I think you would "sculpt" the building in the same way we light a face in the camera room, with directional light to create depth and shape. Because understanding and controlling light is such an important element both for competition and certification, I suggest you might want to keep looking for possibilities.
Keith

Angela_Lawson
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Keith,

The image was taken on a rather hazy day, though it was taken around 5:00pm. However, in the UP, days are a little shorter, so I thought I still picked up a bit of the light coming from the direction of the sun in the west. In the bigger image there is a bit more light showing up on the left side of the tree and wheelhouse, though it is still diffused thru the haze. I guess I just liked the wheelhouse so much that I hoped I had captured enough directional light to make it acceptable. Unfortunately, we don't live in the UP anymore, so I won't be able to make a venture back up to re-photograph it for some time.

Thanks for the input.