PDA

View Full Version : Comp Potential?

MarilynDillon
03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I am continuing to get ready for the April NHPPA Competition. I was wondering if I should consider any of these three to be in the running for me.....what do you think?

NIght Beach http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/NightBeach_Post.jpg

Cape Cod Sunset http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/CapeCodSunset_Post.jpg

Pout in Training http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/PoutInTraining_Post.jpg

Chris_Padgett
03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Marilyn-I am not a judge so these are just personal observations.

1.-I am guessing from the title that that is the moon. I think it is a good image but the moon is so blown out that it looks more like the sun. If you could tone it down and bring out any detail (if there is any).

2.-Love this image. Might want to flip it though.

3.-Lighting on baby's face seems a little flat and the eyes don't have enough light in them. Love the title!!

Take it for what it's worth. (not much) Thanks for posting em and good luck.

MarilynDillon
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Chris -- I will try flipping that sunset. I don't know why I am looking at more images -- should be trying to narrow down more but I want to make sure I am not missing something really good. Keep thinking...oh, what about this one or that one?!? First time in competition.:)

Keith_A_Howe
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Marilyn,
I think your sunsets are nice but the thing you need to think about is every person who ever owned a camera has gone out and photographed a sunset. Next to baby's first birthday it's probably the most common subject ever photographed. So the judging panel has seen loads and loads of sunsets. Unless you have something that raises your sunset image above the rest, it does not have impact. It's just too common. If you had something in the sunset to be a strong center of interest or creat impact then you have a better chance. The baby is a nice image but even before I would notice the flat light my score would go down because the far eye is out of focus. That is a problem you can't overcome. I don't mind Mom's fingers on the side of the head being soft, but the masque of the face is too importanmt to have half of out out of focus.

Keith

MarilynDillon
03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
:) Thanks Keith! Back to the originals I had in mind. I should stop putting others in the ring.

Keith_A_Howe
03-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Ok if you've got other better stuff but how about sticking a sailboat silhoette in the Cape Cod sunset. see that nice diagonal leading line in the clouds? Extend that line ( not really just imagine where it goes) and position the sailboat in the water where that line would touch. Keep it the correct scale and don't forget to also add the reflection of the boat in the water. then you have a center of interest to the sunset and a stronger print. Tiotle something like "Headed for the Harbor" or "Headed Home" The pink line is too light and too strong and the blue is way too bright.

Keith