PDA

View Full Version : First Post for CC, Newby Here!

Noelle_Zaleski
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello, I have been lurking for a few weeks now and it's time for some CC on these images please;)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/IRISWEB.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/Iris-2WEB.jpg

Jeff_Dachowski
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi Noelle,
Great to see you here!!!!

Welcome!!!

Jeff

Noelle_Zaleski
03-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks Jeff, any opinion on the flowers?

Stephanie_Millner
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I for one think they're gorgeous!

(Ok, so I knew I knew your name... I didn't link it to the PM's on 4um.)

Jeff_Dachowski
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Jeff, any opinion on the flowers?

Noelle,
I like the first one better, but am slighty bothered by the low contrast low saturation of them compared to the colorful background. Are either of these for competitio? IF so it might be wise to ask one of the mods to move it to the comp thread, where it will get a lot more views. Sorry you can't cmoe see me in April!!!

Jeff

Noelle_Zaleski
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah I wish I could Jeff! I promise I will eventually:)

Yes I would like to enter one these in NJ at the end of April. I have nevere entered before but I have been following all the comp threads.

Ok so how do I get them moved?

Jeff_Dachowski
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Noelle,
Contact David Lottes, Elizabeth Graham, or Stan Lawrence via pm, and I am sure they can find a way to get it there.

Jeff

David_A._Lottes
03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Your wish is my command. :)

Nice work Noelle!

Cheri_MacCallum
03-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Welcome Noelle!!

I like the colorful image! I would recommend removing the little springs at the bottom though.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Thank you! I wil remove the extra tentacles at the bottom. I also may change the backround color of that one to something darker.

Don_Chick
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Lovely images Noelle, thanks for posting.

P.S. And welcome to the group. It's so nice to have you here!!

Noelle_Zaleski
03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
one more to look at. This one is LBI Sunrise

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/sunnrise-lbiweb.jpg

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
A different crop

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/sunrise-2web.jpg

Cheri_MacCallum
03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I like your second crop better here! It does need a key stroke around the image to keep the eye in the image since the bottom is the same value as the black matt. Not sure about the black matt.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks Cheri!;)

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Noelle;

That image is just scary. When the movie Jaws came out my wife and I were on vacation in Ocean City. It was raining one day so we went to movies & watched JAWS. Big mistake ! The rest of the week, all we could think about was sharks. Your image, with that dune fencing, reminds me of the beginning of the movie when they find the top half of the person bitten in half.

I do think you could improve your chances by photographing a sailboat and putting it the scene. Judges see a gazzillion sunsets especially ones created at water.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Noelle;

That image is just scary. When the movie Jaws came out my wife and I were on vacation in Ocean City. It was raining one day so we went to movies & watched JAWS. Big mistake ! The rest of the week, all we could think about was sharks. Your image, with that dune fencing, reminds me of the beginning of the movie when they find the top half of the person bitten in half.

I do think you could improve your chances by photographing a sailboat and putting it the scene. Judges see a gazzillion sunsets especially ones created at water.

wow, It's a good thing I have thick skin! Now all I am thinking about is that music from the movie.

Ok, i am going to drop the sunrise shot and continue to work on the flowers for now.

Mark_Levesque
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Ok, i am going to drop the sunrise shot and continue to work on the flowers for now.
Why, because Craig is a girlie-man? LOL

Seriously, though, I like this, with the new crop (but straighten the horizon, and add a key stroke from the warmer colors in the sky). And maybe change the matte color to something sampled from the cooler colors in the ocean (dark purple or blue).

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Mark, not sure what you mean by Craig is a girlie man but I do see his point about it being a typical image/sunrise.

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Mark, not sure what you mean by Craig is a girlie man but I do see his point about it being a typical image/sunrise.

Hi Noelle;

I meant it about adding a sailboat. Ron Jackson put together a great presentation by adding some little girls to a woodsy scene. If you add a good one where the lighting works and you have it a proportional size, I think it can do well.

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Noelle;

I meant it about adding a sailboat. Ron Jackson put together a great presentation by adding some little girls to a woodsy scene. If you add a good one where the lighting works and you have it a proportional size, I think it can do well.

Ahh, I get it now. Glad you cleared that up!

Well now that you mention it I did take a picture of a dolphin coming out of the water the same morning. Maybe that will work.

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Noelle;

It's a lot easier to just show you. I added a sailboat from the transportation section of : http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/

I have the sailboat at the 1st quadrant and the bit of sun at about the 4th quadrant. I did some other enhancements including an accent line around it. I hope this helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/SailingAway.jpg

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
WOW!! I love that!

Keith_A_Howe
03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Noelle, I know D. Craig is thinking about a different thread from yesterday, where I suggested the maker add a silohette sailboat to a sunset to create a center of interest. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11012 And I don't want D. Craig to take this personally but this sailboat in this image will definately drop you to the below average catergory on score. Think about where the light is coming from. If the boat were actually there it would be light from behind and in silhoette like the fence is. The sails might glow a little, but not much with the sun so low and as dark as the rest of the scene appears. D. Craig's version it appears the boat is light from the left. Also look at the distance the boat appears from the shore. It is too small to be that close to shore so the scale looks wrong. If you are going to add an element to an image, you must be careful to make it believable. Or make it so unbelievable that it's obvious you are going for fantasy effect.

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Kieth, I was thinking the same thing and certainly would make the sailboat believable if I add one. I love the idea though!

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Noelle, I know D. Craig is thinking about a different thread from yesterday, where I suggested the maker add a silohette sailboat to a sunset to create a center of interest. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11012 And I don't want D. Craig to take this personally but this sailboat in this image will definately drop you to the below average catergory on score. Think about where the light is coming from. If the boat were actually there it would be light from behind and in silhoette like the fence is. The sails might glow a little, but not much with the sun so low and as dark as the rest of the scene appears. D. Craig's version it appears the boat is light from the left. Also look at the distance the boat appears from the shore. It is too small to be that close to shore so the scale looks wrong. If you are going to add an element to an image, you must be careful to make it believable. Or make it so unbelievable that it's obvious you are going for fantasy effect.

Keith

Hi Keith;

I take no offense at all. I already had told Noelle I recommend she create some images off the coast of New Jersey of some sailboats and use something that fits well. I simply used that sailboat to make a point.