PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this?

Julie_DeGuia
03-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Someone recently pointed me to this area of the SWPPA site. They have video clips of the print judging. I found it interesting to see how the images were displayed and how quickly the prints get judged. People always want to know about comments on their images, but from what I see here comments only get made when there is a challenge?

http://www.poeticexposure.com/swppa/index.htm

Julie

Arlyn_DeBruyckere
03-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I hadn't seen this one but I've been to a few conventions and watched the print judging. It is the main reason I don't submit prints or albums for competition anymore.

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Someone recently pointed me to this area of the SWPPA site. They have video clips of the print judging. I found it interesting to see how the images were displayed and how quickly the prints get judged. People always want to know about comments on their images, but from what I see here comments only get made when there is a challenge?

http://www.poeticexposure.com/swppa/index.htm

Julie

Hi Julie;

The higher you go, the more prints are entered. I've judged at sub state level where you may have under 100 prints entered. At our state level that figure can be more like 400 prints. Our Regional has 5 states ... so that figure once again goes higher. And Imaging is an International with prints submitted from all over the world so you are talking many thousands.

So, that's why things like Impact are so important. When judges are toiling for many hours, with print after print being presented, they have to have images shock, amaze, or call to them ... "Look at Me". There isn't enough time to talk about every image unless there is a challenge. That's what the critiques are for. In our state, I always make sure I attend the print critique.

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I hadn't seen this one but I've been to a few conventions and watched the print judging. It is the main reason I don't submit prints or albums for competition anymore.

Hi Arlyn;

I'm sorry to hear that you have an aversion to print competition. Competition is how we continue to grow as artists as well as being the yardstick for showing how we stack up against our peers.

Arlyn_DeBruyckere
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I understand that competition can help one to grow. The competitions I have entered have not helped me to grow, only become more confused. I've entered prints at national (and yes even have a couple of merits) and ordered the critiques. The critiques were no help. The last time in a video critique the reviewer pointed to images where "on camera flash was used too much" when the flash was never on the camera. I've seen many beautiful photographs score 78 or 79, just enough to keep them out. I've seen things so distorted that one could barely recognize it as a photograph score in the 90s.

In the last competition I entered I put in 3 pretty good wedding albums. Since 4 could be entered for the same price and opportunity I went to the display shelf and pulled out a 4x5 album that was nothing special. Just a random album to complete the set. That random album scored higher than anything else I've ever entered.

In my opinion the judging makes no sense. I've served on the print crew more than a few times. I've followed behind judges as they explained scores for prints on the racks. The process still makes no sense to me and is additional frustration and lost energy and money that I can put to better use.

For the photographers who like the competitions, great. Have a good time. I see no benefit in the process and now choose to invest in my photography in other ways.

Peter_Bauer
03-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi Julie,
The videos are an eye-opener, and perhaps another reason to consider attending the clinic this summer for those of us who strive to excel in print competition. Even if we never judge, understanding how judges work helps us prepare better for competition.
Pete

Lori_Clapp
03-06-2008, 05:19 AM
In defense of print competition (not that I'm an expert, or anything close), I just want to say that there have been times that I've watched judging, and things didn't make sense to me. But at the same time, one thing I have noticed, is that a majority of the time, when I get critiques ahead of time, and then enter, 90% of what was mentioned during critique, is either brought up, or mentioned in some way at judging. For example, if there is disagreement on whether something should be cropped out or left in, there are many times the judges will talk about the exact same thing during competition. My point here is that while some of it doesn't make sense, and some of it depends on the judging panel, and their own personal tastes, from what I've seen, the judges are pretty consistent in the main points.

I'm not sure that made any sense at all. I guess I'm defending competition because I have learned so much from it. Whether I win or lose, merit or not, it makes me a better photographer because I know the next time I am out shooting, I will remember what was pointed out to me in competition! And my biggest point is that for me, competition is not about winning - it's about learning. And even if you learn that the judges don't like your style of photography, I'm sure you still learn some little things along the way that will help you grow.

Sorry - not sure where all that came from!

Don_Chick
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I found it interesting to see how the images were displayed and how quickly the prints get judged. People always want to know about comments on their images, but from what I see here comments only get made when there is a challenge? Julie

Those video's have had the silence taken out of them to make them shorter for the web. It's mentioned right at the beginning or in text on the page. Because of the silence being removed that's not the normal speed at which prints are judged!!!!

Also, that's true that comments are only given during a challenge. If you want to hear what the judges think, if nothing is said during the comp, then you have to ask during the print critique or other time.

Mark_Levesque
03-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Don. That makes a LOT more sense. I thought it seemed unnaturally fast.

Keith_A_Howe
03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
competition is not about winning - it's about learning.

So proud of you Grasshopper ( said in a bad Chinese accent)
Keith