PDA

View Full Version : Kodak and Fuji

Ron_Jackson
03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
I have no expectations but I do have a question.

I have been seeing posts where the person posting is talking about receiving a Kodak or Fuji award. Okay I assume that because you maked that you had the print done on Kodak paper, you might qualify for a Kodak award. So when I see someone had a print that won a Kodak and a Fuji award, how does that happen? Shoot with a Fuji S5 and print on Kodak paper?

Now explain to me and the rest of us newbies here what these awards are and how they come about. How are they given?

Joe_Galioto
03-05-2008, 02:56 AM
ron
kodak came out with awards first, they reguired that the photog. used kodak film and paper. when the fuji annouced the fuji award they took the high road and did not reguire that their award go to a photo produced with fuji products. i believe kodak has changed their rules. so basicly the awards are given out by the judges to the prints they deem the best of each catagory.
i have a few of each, but haven't paid much attention to compitition in a few years. someone else might have more current info.
joe

Todd_Reichman
03-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Dumb question - is there actually a rep from Kodak and Fuji at every competition to grant those awards?

Also, I've been told that electronic submissions of albums (that clearly would have little to no connection to either company) are also eligible. Can anyone confirm?

thanks

- trr

John_Stein
03-05-2008, 03:27 AM
We have not had a Kodak or Fuji rep at the maryland convention for the past few years.

The last convention we had (this year in Jan.) Kodak did not have a requirement as far as how the image was captured or printed but Fuji did have the requirement that at least one Fuji product had to be used in the creation of the image ( Camera, paper, Film).

Not sure how it is going to work with the electronic albums.

John

Ed_Conner
03-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Neither award requires being created with or produced on either Companies product. In WV we don't even require you mark one way or another. Ohio at the recently completed Mid East we had to affix a Kodak Gallery award label on the back to be eligible for the Kodak. Fuji expects/hopes you are awarding to an 80 or better image. I think Kodak still requires it. At one time Fuji had a little cash bonus if the image was made with Fuji products but I believe that has gone by the wayside.

As I understand it Kodak does expect the image to be made with or printed on Kodak products if you want to be considered for the Gallery Elite which they hand out at the PPA National Convention.

Ed Conner - PPA Cert, M-Photog

Jeff_Dachowski
03-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Neither award requires being created with or produced on either Companies product. In WV we don't even require you mark one way or another. Ohio at the recently completed Mid East we had to affix a Kodak Gallery award label on the back to be eligible for the Kodak. Fuji expects/hopes you are awarding to an 80 or better image. I think Kodak still requires it. At one time Fuji had a little cash bonus if the image was made with Fuji products but I believe that has gone by the wayside.

As I understand it Kodak does expect the image to be made with or printed on Kodak products if you want to be considered for the Gallery Elite which they hand out at the PPA National Convention.

Ed Conner - PPA Cert, M-Photog

Ed,
It used to be that Kodak was the one who required that an image be made or printed with a kodak product, and Fuji used to beat their chests that they didn't require that. Now Kodak does not require that, and Fuji as of last year required that their product be used, AND it scored an 85 or higher.

Jeff

Dan_Leary
03-05-2008, 03:44 AM
We have not had a Kodak or Fuji rep at the maryland convention for the past few years.

The last convention we had (this year in Jan.) Kodak did not have a requirement as far as how the image was captured or printed but Fuji did have the requirement that at least one Fuji product had to be used in the creation of the image ( Camera, paper, Film).

Not sure how it is going to work with the electronic albums.

John

The paperwork I got to register my Fuji Awards state that all images are eligible to win the award BUT images using at least one Fuji product are eligible for national advertising for Fuji. That pretty much confirms what was one the MES website as well. Kodak no longer requires a Kodak product be used to make the image BUT to be eligible for the Gallery Elite Award a Kodak product must have been used in the making or printing of the image.

At the MES regionals, there were reps from Kodak and Fuji handing out their respective awards, but at the state level it was not so. However, one of our speakers was sponsored by Kodak so he handed out the Gallery Awards.

Your electronic albums should be eligible for both awards... electronic albums won both awards at MES.

Dan_Leary
03-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Ed,
It used to be that Kodak was the one who required that an image be made or printed with a kodak product, and Fuji used to beat their chests that they didn't require that. Now Kodak does not require that, and Fuji as of last year required that their product be used, AND it scored an 85 or higher.

Jeff

The Fuji I got at MES only scored an 84... they had their rules all screwed up last year. I think someone from the MES print comittee had to send out an email to straighten it all out.

Marc_Benjamin
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
I won our regional Fuji this year for weddings with an 86. At western states this year which is a combined state and regional comp, it is required that a Fuji product was used to qualify.

Kodak is a free for all and the regional award went to an electronic album.

Our very own Stewart Schultz won the Kodak and Fuji awards for the same image this year. Kodak for state and Fuji for regionals. High Five!

To add more things to think about Ron, this year we also had Canon awards at our regionals. The Canon Par Excellence award went to the photographer with the best 4/4 results. Canon gave out a 5D with and L lens. The winner I believe uses a Fuji camera :)

Also, We had actual live reps from all three categories at our awarding.

Rick_Massarini
03-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Fuji has lowered their score requirement from 85 down to an 80 or higher. Fuji also still has the requirement that a Fuji product be used in the production.

Dan_Leary
03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, Ron, I hope all this clears things up for you. LOL. The sad part is even if you get on the internet you still get conflicting requirements. The MES website conflicts itself! Fuji flip-flopped on it's requirements last year, and I think that's the source of all the confusion. I'm attaching the letter I received from Fuji this year, so hopefully it will help clear things up for you.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/fuji.jpg

Jeff_Dachowski
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
There is a lot of confusion about these awards!!! Last year you needed to have an 85 or higher to be elegible. This is from the officail fuji rules:

ELIGIBILITY & RULES The Fujifilm Masterpiece Award is given to the best image, usually indicated by the highest score, in its category at annual print competitions
held by PPA affiliates. In 2008 the awards will be given in the United States of America, Canada, and the Republic of Ireland. The image must score at least an
80 out of a potential of 100 points to be eligible for the award. The judges must agree that it best represents the category with the highest level of professional
photography.
At least one Fujifilm product must be used in the creation of the image. Images that meet all the criteria will be judged for the award. There are five potential photographic categories for the 2008 competition year, August 1, 2008 until May
26, 2008:
• Commercial
• Portrait
• Wedding
• Wedding Album
• Illustrative
In addition there is one potential Electronic Imaging category for 2008:
• Electronic Imaging (A), (Digital Retouching)
All the winning images created with Fujifilm professional film or digital products will be eligible for posting on our web page and for exhibition in our trade show
booths at the PPA national and other conventions.

Jeff

Dave_Prouty
03-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I guess that makes everything as clear as mud!

Ron_Jackson
03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Dave you said it!

Well, I have a pretty good idea or at least it did clear up the part that confused me the most, that people had won both Kodak and Fuji with the same print at the same competition. That was the part that confused me the most.

Stewart_Schulze
03-06-2008, 05:57 PM
At the western state competition it was both State and regional and I got Fuji Regional and Kodak State. I have been involved with the comp. for the last few years and saw that the awards were spread out as much as possible but this year commercial images were judged hard and not that many made it above 80.