PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone be at SEPPA Comp? Sitting in?

Liz_Vance
03-05-2008, 12:08 AM
And ever so nicely listening to the judges, and perhaps taking notes, oh, say, on my prints? :)

-e

Keith_A_Howe
03-05-2008, 12:43 AM
And ever so nicely listening to the judges, and perhaps taking notes, oh, say, on my prints? :)

-e

I won't be there but I could just make up some comments, email them to you now and end the agony of waiting for you. Course I don't exactly remember your prints so the comments might be irrelavent. But then a lot of times people feel my comments are irrevelvent even after I have seen their prints so there you go.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Keith, may I take you up on that offer? :)

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I plan to be there for at least part. Don't know the exact portion time-wise, but it is my main objective for Raleigh (I live an hour away). Hopefully I will be hand-delivering my own case Thursday. Sick kids be damned! I love 'em but do they have to be sick *every year* of my state convention?? Anyone who's in let me know--I'll look out for info on your judging . . .

Elizabeth

Liz_Vance
03-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Those kids get in the way every time. (Well, okay, MINE do.) :)

Elizabeth, I've made you a handy little reference sheet to take with you. :) These are the four I've entered - two from this year, and one from each previous year. 5 Days got an 82 in state comp, the other three got 80s. Seriously, if you happen to hear them say anything interesting, I'd love to know, but it's not that big a deal. Because I'm going to hit up Keith for his opinion right now <g>.

Keith, if you would like to make up some stuff for me now, I'd love to hear it. :)

Incidentally, 9 people, one shirt between them. I think that's a record, even for me!

http://www.ohbabyphoto.com/SEPPA.jpg

Art_Wright
03-05-2008, 04:04 AM
LIz - Wow! The emotions in "Family Connections" really hit me! Great lighting and capture! Bravo!

Liz_Vance
03-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Awww, I bet you say that to all the girls. :)

Art_Wright
03-05-2008, 04:22 AM
Awww, I bet you say that to all the girls. :)

Nope, just the ones with skills! I could (hopefully) learn a lot from you...

DiannaAllen
03-05-2008, 05:12 AM
I plan to be there for at least part. Don't know the exact portion time-wise, but it is my main objective for Raleigh (I live an hour away). Hopefully I will be hand-delivering my own case Thursday. Sick kids be damned! I love 'em but do they have to be sick *every year* of my state convention?? Anyone who's in let me know--I'll look out for info on your judging . . .

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, would you mind taking on another one to watch out for? By the way, Deadline is March 5th not 6th unless you know something I don't.

Southern Charm - Bride
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/SouthernCharm.jpg
Uh-Oh! - Child
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/IBrokeItColorF.jpg
Full Moon at Dusk - General
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/FullMoonatDusk.jpg
Dreaming of Tomorrow - Woman(Senior)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/AmbersDreamcopy.jpg

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Dianna:

Here is the e-mail I received:

Dear PPNC Members,

To clarify some confusion...

We will be accepting print cases as follows:

Ship to or drop off at Positive Results
Photography by Wednesday
March 5th by Noon.

We will accept print cases at the Sheraton Imperial in the Royal room on Wednesday
March 5th from 4:00 - 6:00 pm. We will also
accept cases at the Sheraton on Thursday
March 6th from 9:00 am til noon.

Delivery deadlines are different this year due
to NC hosting the SEPPA Affiliated judging.

Thank you and Good Luck!
Randy McNeilly
SEPPA Salon Chairman

So for me, I gained a day, luckily.

And to all those who've posted stuff for me to look out for, I certainly will.

Elizabeth

Ron_Jackson
03-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Well, for those of us who entered, the countdown begins. A few days from now, some of you will be breaking out the champagne and others of us will be anxious to find out what we could have done to get past that 78/79 barrier.

This journey is a first for me and it's been like many others, full of self doubt, over-thinking and second guessing. But it's now in the hands of the nice people huddled up in Raleigh. So, from me to the rest of you, I wish you all the very best of luck.

Valerie_Harte
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
So its killing me... knowing that my prints could be on the turntable right now... all alone being at the judges mercy without me there to at least quietly send them support. Anyone else feel that way? LOL

And best of luck to all of you too.

Cheri_MacCallum
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
This journey is a first for me and it's been like many others, full of self doubt, over-thinking and second guessing.

This happens to many of us!! I hate it when I can't be at a competition where my prints are! And then the waiting...

Liz_Vance
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Logistical question -

So, what happens next? I'm assuming after the comp is over, they ship your case back to you. And then, my next question is about National judging - say you send in 4, and 2 go loan. Does that mean they keep those two and send your half-full case back? Do they keep the case? Do you ever see them again?

I need to know these things. I'm very concerned with the logistical aspects of it all. :)

-e

Keith_A_Howe
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Logistical question -

So, what happens next? I'm assuming after the comp is over, they ship your case back to you.
Yes

And then, my next question is about National judging - say you send in 4, and 2 go loan. Does that mean they keep those two and send your half-full case back?
Yes

Do they keep the case?
No

Do you ever see them again?

Yes - when you go to IUSA you will see them in the print show and in the loan book you will of course buy, but just like once your children go away to college they will never come home to live with you again . . . if you are lucky. So print competition is very much like child raising, do a great job and your prints will go out in the world and succeed and never will you have to do your prints' laundry again.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I just went to the SEPPA website http://www.4seppa.com/print_scores.html

The scores will be posted there tomorrow! Anybody nervous or anxious? Well, I guess since they are going to be posted, we can't hide our fate. Ugh!

Liz_Vance
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hm. Okay. I'm okay with that. Really I am. (biting nails!)

-e

Liz_Vance
03-08-2008, 07:40 PM
[do your prints laundry again]

hahahahaha

I just saw that.

Ron_Jackson
03-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay people. Just so everyone knows, this is my first time in competition so once the scores are posted, keep the laughter to a minimum. Condolences are okay but laughing at my scores will only make me withdraw further into my hidey hole. It was tough enough to talk me into entering in the first place. :)

Liz_Vance
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Days got an 82 in state comp, the other three got 80s. Seriously, if you happen to hear them say anything interesting, I'd love to know, but it's not that big a deal. Because I'm going to hit up Keith for his opinion right now <g>.
http://www.ohbabyphoto.com/SEPPA.jpg

Okay, so this time around, 5 Days got an 81, Brothers got a 75, Family Connections, 79, and Tough Guys, 78. I get all of them but Brothers. Why would it get an 80 before and now a 75? What do you see as the problem? (And yes, Keith, I'm talking to you!)

-e

Keith_A_Howe
03-13-2008, 04:38 AM
I get all of them but Brothers. Why would it get an 80 before and now a 75? What do you see as the problem? (And yes, Keith, I'm talking to you!)

-e

My first guess would be that it was not all affliate jurors on the state level and that may have effected the score. Generally, but not always, a newer judge or non-affliate qualified judge may be a little more forgiving on technical issues and print quality. That could be a reason and are issues I can't see on a moniter all the time. A less experienced judge also may tend to get more tied up in the emotion of the print and forget to look for the other elements. Personally, from what I can see on my moniter, I would have been close to the score it recieved. For me the issues are the crop is too tight and the pose is static. By static I mean it looks very contrived and their bodies are not relaxing and leaning into each other as would be more believable in this pose. The light is noce and directional and I like the ratio and the modifier choice, but I think the image would have been more impactful if it had been light from the other side. If that's not clear just ask.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
FWIW, my 80 at state went down to a 75 as well. (I kinda thought it was a fluke that it got an 80 at state though...) The rest were 78, 77, 77. Funny that the one that merited at first went down to a lowly white... Oh well... 3 red's in my first time entering regionals isn't anything to be ashamed of. (I hope.)

Liz_Vance
03-13-2008, 04:48 AM
My first guess would be that it was not all affliate jurors on the state level and that may have effected the score. Generally, but not always, a newer judge or non-affliate qualified judge may be a little more forgiving on technical issues and print quality. That could be a reason and are issues I can't see on a moniter all the time. A less experienced judge also may tend to get more tied up in the emotion of the print and forget to look for the other elements. Personally, from what I can see on my moniter, I would have been close to the score it recieved. For me the issues are the crop is too tight and the pose is static. By static I mean it looks very contrived and their bodies are not relaxing and leaning into each other as would be more believable in this pose. The light is noce and directional and I like the ratio and the modifier choice, but I think the image would have been more impactful if it had been light from the other side. If that's not clear just ask.

Keith

Thanks! It's funny, as soon as I read it, I thought, yep, yep, why didn't I see that? It all makes sense.

As far as contrived, well, yeah. Because getting two 5 year olds to stand still AT ALL takes work. Getting their arms around each other? That takes a bribe. :)

Stephanie_Millner
03-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Getting their arms around each other? That takes a bribe. :)

...or a cattle prod.

Liz_Vance
03-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey! Steff! Happy 1300th post! (And yes, you have no life. And neither do I, since I'm noticing these things!)

Stephanie_Millner
03-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Why thank you, Liz! (I guess this makes 1301) I'm awaiting my toaster.
Way to go for us highjacking yet another thread, hunh?

Valerie_Harte
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Ouch... The stuff I reworked one went down a point and the other stayed the same. thank goodness I reworked them, I'd hate to think where they would have been if I hadn't. The funniest thing is the one that I like the least and entered kind of as a joke keeps doing the best. The other two I entered as is, blindly, just to see where they would land one got a 77 (which I was actually happy with because it was a painter image I did as client work) the other a 75 (which didn't surprise me, but I figured why not- it was a pop art style image).

So now I am back to square one... what to do for nationals.... There was one print that got a 78 in state but I just didn't know what to do with it and they ran out of red ribbons so I didn't get critique on it. Hmmm....

The consoliation for me- a couple of photographers that I really respect and admire and normally go 4 for 4 did not and got some of the same scores I did. In fact one my favorites went 1 for 4 so I guess we as a whole are just getting better, and probably have competition and forums like this to thank for it.

So thanks to everyone who helps!

DiannaAllen
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Okay people. Just so everyone knows, this is my first time in competition so once the scores are posted, keep the laughter to a minimum. Condolences are okay but laughing at my scores will only make me withdraw further into my hidey hole. It was tough enough to talk me into entering in the first place. :)

Ron you have nothing to be ashamed of! You work is great and you beat me. This was my first State and Regional Competition also. I didn't merit at regionals but at least all my scores stayed in the Above Average range. Not bad for first timers in my eyes.

DiannaAllen
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
my 80 at state went down to a 75 as well.

Steph & Liz I think many of us felt this disappointment. My 80 went to a 76, hardest drop of all my prints. The others stayed within 2 points of my state scores with my blue ribbon at state being my lowest score regionally.

Keith, I have not been able to get any feedback on my prints judging (except the Double Trouble entry). I want to enter nationals but without feedback on what caused them to be scored as they were I don't know what to rework. Can you offer some advise on how I can get some feedback?

Scores: Uh-Oh! St-80 R-76 Southern Charm - St-79 R-77 Full Moon - St-78 R-76 Dreaming of Tomorrow - St-78 R-76

Here's a link to my state results & entries:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/th_IBrokeItColorF.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/?action=view&current=fd81f404.pbw)