PDA

View Full Version : Mid East Results

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Posting my Images from Mid East Competition.
My goal when Entering is 2 Merits. Received one!
Not as good as I would have liked, but did learn a few things along the way!
CC. is welcome..........Although most likely, will be looking at different Images for Nationals.
In another Thread mentioned I am good at second guessing myself. I have 2 other Images should have entered.

First two received 77 ............They both were blues at Triangle.
Turkeys is a popular Image have sold 5 copies, Green Merits:)

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
This Image received 78.
This is the only Image may consider entering again!

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Last Image My Merit score 84

Mile high View.

DianeDavis
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Ohh, Ahhhh. Congrats Bob!

Andrea_Chapelo
03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Nice Bob! Congrats! I love the turkey image. the colors are great!

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Diane and Andrea,
Its fun to enter.
Looking over my Images I study them, ask myself could I have changed something to make them better?
Its all in the process!
Competition good or bad results, makes you better at what you do!

D._Craig_Flory
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Bob;

That's a cool image of the Mt. Washington incline. For anyone who has never seen, or ridden it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duquesne_Incline

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Bob;

That's a cool image of the Mt. Washington incline. For anyone who has never seen, or ridden it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duquesne_Incline

Craig,
Thats the Johnstown Incline!!!!!! Steepest In the U.S.A.
Much better then Pittsburgh's!

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Johnstown is located in a deep valley. Surrounded by hills.
Almost 1,000 feet drop.
Thats why its know as the flood city! :)
Bob

D._Craig_Flory
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey Bob;

I didn't know Johnstown had one too ... my bad. Same part of Pa, though. I've ridden the one in Pittsburgh when we have had state conventions there but I've never been to Johnstown.

Don_Chick
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
It's hard to see why on a 3 inch print, but I am suprised that the turkeys didn't score 80. If you asked me.. which you didn't... I would crop off the top 3/8ths and try again. I find that blocking out some of the upper trees makes the turkeys a stronger center of interest. Vignette the foreground of the road to darken it a bit and maybe not saturate the colors quite so much...

Thank you for posting.

bob_hancock
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
It's hard to see why on a 3 inch print, but I am surprised that the turkeys didn't score 80. If you asked me.. which you didn't... I would crop off the top 3/Th's and try again. I find that blocking out some of the upper trees makes the turkeys a stronger center of interest. Vignette the foreground of the road to darken it a bit and maybe not saturate the colors quite so much...

Thank you for posting.

Thanks Don,.......... Did post for CC.
The Image is tack sharp! Colors are Naturally saturated, but could be reduce !

Keith_A_Howe
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/neveralone.jpg

Kinda eerilysimilar huh? This is one of my merit images from a few years ago. Great minds and all that Bob

Keith

bob_hancock
03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/neveralone.jpg

Kinda eerilysimilar huh? This is one of my merit images from a few years ago. Great minds and all that Bob

Keith

Keith, You are miles ahead............. You received the merit!

Was told from a Judge to send Image on to Nationals, he bet it would merit there! Have a few others will look at first!

Ed_Conner
03-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Bob,

I remember seeing all but the girl walking in the woods. And I didn't understand why you scored what you did either. That being said you pay the same entry fee for 1 or 4 to get that merit recorded so...

I also would consider cropping the Turkeys from the top down and would place them a little more into the lower right quadrant. Your girl walking into the sunlight I would play with taking it high key fading all the way to base white as my underlay. Since on my screen it looks like she walking to the "Otherside" with the light at the end looking completely blown out. There were a few prints, mainly studio head glamour shots I realize, that went blue like that in Dayton.

They're so close and I've been there with a bazillion 77's,78's & 79's that the temptation is to stay pat thinking "well there are several similar prints so when did mine come around?". "National is thumbs up or down. So I only need 3 to like the print instead of 4 if one really doesn't like the print when prints are scored like at Regional, maybe I can sneak this one in."

Or go to the extreme and say the heck with it I'm starting over or maybe just tweaking it. Either way you end up spending $ you wonder if it's wise. If you do reprint I've found making the actual image smaller than what you got will go a long way if you do nothing else.

I'm wrestling now with these 2 that were 79's in Dayton as well. They were 77 & 78 in WV 2 weeks ago. And yes, I reprinted them before sending to Dayton.

The girl's eye going into her hair is probably holding her back so I'll probably replace her. Should have seen that in the beginning(talk about being emotionally attached). The old man I don't know yet. Probably should do something with the light trap between the brim and crown of his hat there in the top center. Maybe with some different cropping. I'm not convinced that face, expression, and light are not a merit image.

I digress.

You have some nice images and could/should do well at Daytona in July.

Ed Conner- PPA Cert,M-Photog

Dan_Leary
03-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Ed,
Good to see you posting here...

I hate those 79's too. I remember a couple years back I got five 79's and a 78. Then I had to drive I-79 home! LOL! Well, at least you got two merits and if they like the basketball one at nationals like they did at MES it will go loan for sure.

Dave_Prouty
03-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Johnstown is located in a deep valley. Surrounded by hills.
Almost 1,000 feet drop.
Thats why its know as the flood city! :)
Bob

More precisely the city is known as the Flood City due to the actual flood from the failure of the South Fork Dam on May 31, 1889. Pretty good reason to be called that. It killed 2200 people in a town of 30,000.

OK! That's all for today's history lesson, I promise!

To learn more just Google Johnstown Flood!

bob_hancock
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
More precisely the city is known as the Flood City due to the actual flood from the failure of the South Fork Dam on May 31, 1889. Pretty good reason to be called that. It killed 2200 people in a town of 30,000.

OK! That's all for today's history lesson, I promise!

To learn more just Google Johnstown Flood!

Dave even before the great flood of 1889 Johnstown was refereed to as the flood city.
Each spring as the snows began to melt the city, sitting so low in the valley. Would build up with water from the three rivers flowing through the small city.
It had two major floods after the great 1889 flood, one in 1936, and the other in 1977.
The flood of 1977 is one I am more familiar with, I was in it!
There was extensive damage to Bethlehem Steel plants here! Shortly after the flood they decided not to re-build.

This decision over several year period changed the Johnstown area for ever! Once most of the areas population was employed in the Steel Industry. Now less the 500 work in the steel Industry.

Other Points of Interest 1977 was the start of my Photographic career!
1982 went full time in this business. In an area that had the highest unemployment rate in the Nation!

End of History lesion!:) :)