PDA

View Full Version : IL Comp - 4 Wedding Albums

Todd_Reichman
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Hello all!

I've got 4 weddings albums that I'd like to submit electronically for an upcoming Illinois comp in 2 weeks. I'm looking for any and every comment that you can throw at me. What doesn't work? What should be removed? What needs adjustment or more editing? What should embarrass me and my lineage? Is there any hope for these, or should I head back to the drawing board?

Sorry, I tried Mark's handy-dandy image posting method, but it just seemed too unwieldy for the forums. So I've linked them from my wedding website. Head here:

http://www.reichmanphoto.com/index2a.php

Go to the CLIENTS page and enter one of the following passwords

comp1 - for Amy and Jesse's album
comp2 - for Lindsay and Scott's album
comp3 - for Katie and Nate's album
comp4 - for Steve and Amy's album

A few questions - should you title albums, or more specifically how should you title and album? Should it be something like "Endless Sappy Love" or just Tony and Tina's Wedding?

Many thanks. Oh, and just for bumping Dan's awesome thread - mad props to Dan Leary for rocking the house!

- todd

JohnMalboeuf
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Todd,

I liked all 4 albums, but I am confused by a few images.

Amy and Jesse:
Did he golf the morning of the wedding? I love the shot, but what does it have to do with the story of the day? No complementary image of the girls.

Steve and Amy:
Same comment as above with the poker game on page 3. No complementary image of the girls.
Horizon is tilted in group shot on page 17. I know it is intentional, but the wide image does not allow for enough of a tilt. You also have someone between the bride and groom.
Horizon is tilted in page 18 as well. Some of the bridal party have thier faces turned away from the camera. I like the playfullness of the image.
Page 23 I know she is throwing the flowers, but it looks like she getting ready to eat the Chandelier.

John

Just a side note. I like tht "Go Cubs" on the shoes. Being a life long Red Sox fan, I understand the pain for the Cubs on the National Leage side. Here is to ending thier drought soon.

Todd_Reichman
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Todd,

I liked all 4 albums, but I am confused by a few images.

Amy and Jesse:
Did he golf the morning of the wedding? I love the shot, but what does it have to do with the story of the day? No complementary image of the girls.

Steve and Amy:
Same comment as above with the poker game on page 3. No complementary image of the girls.
Horizon is tilted in group shot on page 17. I know it is intentional, but the wide image does not allow for enough of a tilt. You also have someone between the bride and groom.
Horizon is tilted in page 18 as well. Some of the bridal party have thier faces turned away from the camera. I like the playfullness of the image.
Page 23 I know she is throwing the flowers, but it looks like she getting ready to eat the Chandelier.

John

Just a side note. I like tht "Go Cubs" on the shoes. Being a life long Red Sox fan, I understand the pain for the Cubs on the National Leage side. Here is to ending thier drought soon.

Thanks a ton, John.

Think I should remove the golf/poker shots? In those particular weddings, the girls getting ready stuff isn't as stong, so would it be better just to go without?

For the Bridal party shots, do you think that the fact that some arent looking is an issue that will be to the detriment of the overall album? For page 16, the street was heavily inclined, so to adjust the horizon throws the building behind out of whack pretty obviously. Should I adjust or just remove this image? Should I just remove the bouquet page, will it hurt the album NOT to have that page?

Thanks for taking the time - do you think these have a prayer?

As an aside, this wedding was the weekend that the Cubs hd made the playoffs, but before they totally bombed. It was a big celebration for the decidely pro-Cubs constituency of the guests. They entered the reception to "Go Cubs Go." Totally fun!.

Anyone else want to give me their take?

- todd

Jackie_Haggerty
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Hello all!

I've got 4 weddings albums that I'd like to submit electronically for an upcoming Illinois comp in 2 weeks. I'm looking for any and every comment that you can throw at me. What doesn't work? What should be removed? What needs adjustment or more editing? What should embarrass me and my lineage? Is there any hope for these, or should I head back to the drawing board?

Sorry, I tried Mark's handy-dandy image posting method, but it just seemed too unwieldy for the forums. So I've linked them from my wedding website. Head here:

http://www.reichmanphoto.com/index2a.php

Go to the CLIENTS page and enter one of the following passwords

comp1 - for Amy and Jesse's album
comp2 - for Lindsay and Scott's album
comp3 - for Katie and Nate's album
comp4 - for Steve and Amy's album

A few questions - should you title albums, or more specifically how should you title and album? Should it be something like "Endless Sappy Love" or just Tony and Tina's Wedding?

Many thanks. Oh, and just for bumping Dan's awesome thread - mad props to Dan Leary for rocking the house!

- todd

Todd- go with the "Eendless Sappy Love" route for the title- or something snappy and fun if that is what it feels like - but NOT "Tony and Tina's Wedding"

Todd_Reichman
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I know that the title really seems to matter for single images, how instrumental in the score of an album is it? It feels really corny to slap a title on an album for some reason.

- trr

MarilynDillon
03-03-2008, 09:47 PM
These albums are great. I am not always a fan of the digital layouts but your designs have a nice, clean, uncluttered feel to them. I have never entered an album in competition and am new here -- but I do have one thing that I noticed on comp2 - there is a duplicate image on page opening 11 and 12 - kind of jumped out at me. Have you merited an album before?

Todd_Reichman
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks Marilyn.

Its not exactly a duplicated image, but a new angle. I do have a different take where they are looking at each other ad laughing that I might use, or I might drop one or the other spread altogether.

I haven't merited squat! Never competed, not at all experienced in this endeavor. I'd like to submit these four albums as my first attempt at comp. Think that's foolish?

- todd

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Thanks Todd... I'm glad to see you gearing up for this. I really think you'll do fine. I just got home and am sitting down to eat., but I'll PM you later to give my thoughts.

Todd_Reichman
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks all, does anyone have input on the issue on how to title an album. Does anyone have an example of the title of a merited album? I haven't been able to find examples of merited albums online.

Thanks

(oh, and feel free to keep taking shots at those albums!)

- todd

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Todd,

I enjoyed viewing your albums and wish you the best luck in comp.

I have titled every album that I have entered with just the bride and grooms names except for one.

It was a Where's Waldo thing with a garden gnome that the grooms friends (Massachusetts state troopers) stole the night before the wedding. I hid a small gnome in every spread. The name of the album was Find the Wedding Crasher.

I recently completed a book for a couple and they had a chipmonk visit the formals session. I ended up slipping the rodent in a few speads and didnt tell the couple that they have an extra subject in some of their images. Now I think I might use them for a competition album. Does Find the Chipmonk sound interesting enough?

Todd_Reichman
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I was just considering "Katie and Nate get Married" or something like that. Recipe for disaster?

Jane, for the albums that you entered, did you find that you got comments on the title positively or negatively?

- trr

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I dont think the name titles hurt the albums at all.

As for Find the Wedding Crasher, they finally got the point after a few pages and comments on my warped sense of humor.

Todd_Reichman
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Jane - how did your albums do in comp? Is there any chance you'd be willing to share them? Its very difficult to find comp album samples.

- trr

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Um, well, I've only gotten one album score below 80. I dont have the album from last year online anymore. I'll see if I can dig it up.