PDA

View Full Version : This years comp images...

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Greeting everybody,

Well, I promised I would post my competition images after MidEast, and I just got back. We had a great time and I FINALLY got to meet a fellow forum member. I ran into John Heckler in the print room and within ten minutes I felt like I knew him my whole life. He went with us to have a beer and he even came to the awards ceremony to take photos. He ducked out without me knowing, so John give me a shout later on.

Also, Brian Price posted here a few weeks ago and he went 3/4 as well on his images! I'm real proud of the progress he's made lately. Now if I can just talk him into charging what he should...:p

OK, Ok, to the crux of it...

Second Hand Jeep- 81 WV/91 MES.

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Second Hand Jeep.jpg

Modern Bride- 85 WV/84 MES... I won alot with this one. It was hard to ignore in closed print judging. At WV, I won the Kodak Gallery and Mark Campbell won the Fuji Masterpiece, at MES I won the Fuji and Mark won the Kodak! Our scores were even identical but switched! How often does that happen?

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Modern Bride.jpg

Never a Victim- 80 WV/ MES did not enter... wanted to enter my wedding album instead. But I would love to hear thoughts on this one!

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Never A Victim.jpg

Teya_Rutherford
03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Congrats! These are great. I like the texture on the last one, but might pull back on what is on the face a bit. Texture is such a tricky thing I'm finding...some judges love it and some hate it.

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Here's my album. I entered this AMA... Against Mentor's Advice! Two of my mentor's advised to enter the boxer chick (above) or the Pink Bottle (below) instead of this, but I wanted to see how one of my albums would do. It scored an 80! I submitted an actual album instead of the digital files, and I think if anything that hurt me as opposed to help. The first image was a metal cameo on the front of the sueded cover from Forbeyon. I'm only going to show a few spreads here... I called it "There's Something About Mary".

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/3X8 Cameo.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 01.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 06-07.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 08-09.jpg

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 010-011.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 012-013.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 024-025.jpg

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Page 032-033.jpg

Lori_Clapp
03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I give up - where's the pink bottle?

These are great - they are so different from most of what we see. I really like the modern bride one!

Your album is nice, but I like your individual images better. Great title on the Jeep one! Congrats - those are some nice scores!!! And I agree with you about John Heckler, I met him at IUSA and he is a great guy! Although he made me buy him lunch once. Just kidding John!!

Jeff_Dachowski
03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Dan,
so you went 4 for 4 at your regional?

Congratulations on the fujis and kodak. Awesome job!!

Jeff

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
So Into You- WV-79/MES-Did not enter. Their were quality issues with this print. I overworked parts of it. I think it would go easily if I fixed those issues.

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/So Into You.jpg

Pink Tarea- WV-78/MES-Did not enter. My mentors loved, loved, LOVED this image. They tried to get me to enter this instead of the album at MES. I would love to hear thoughts on this one as well especially from judges and commercial shooters...

http://www.learyweddings.com/uploads/Tarea.jpg

I also had another print, but it was a nude so I can't post it here. It was a throwback to Picasso's cubism. It scored 85 at WV and 81 at MES.

Also, as I've said before, I competed for three years before getting my first merit... it has been a progression for me and you can never learn until you start entering! Even if you don't win awards out of the gate, half the fun is the journey!

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Congrats! These are great. I like the texture on the last one, but might pull back on what is on the face a bit. Texture is such a tricky thing I'm finding...some judges love it and some hate it.

I thought the same thing... the thing about getting opinions is everyone's is different. One of my mentor's was an affiliated judge awhile back and he liked the texture. I should've eased up I'm sure.

I give up - where's the pink bottle?

These are great - they are so different from most of what we see. I really like the modern bride one!

Your album is nice, but I like your individual images better. Great title on the Jeep one! Congrats - those are some nice scores!!! And I agree with you about John Heckler, I met him at IUSA and he is a great guy! Although he made me buy him lunch once. Just kidding John!!

Thanks Lori! Your repsonding quicker than I can post! LOL! I think an individual image would've scored higher than the album, but I wanted to see what it would do. I'm stubborn like that...:D

BTW, John offered to buy mea drink!

Dan,
so you went 4 for 4 at your regional?

Congratulations on the fujis and kodak. Awesome job!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Yup, 4/4 for the second year in a row!

Andrea_Chapelo
03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Way to go Dan! Too bad I was not able to make to MES this weekend, I could have seen your prints in person.

Todd_Reichman
03-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Awesome job, Dan!

Thanks for posting and giving all of us fence-sitters some of the real dirt on competition.

Stupid thread derailing question - what's eligible for Fuji and Kodak awards? Does it have to be on Fuji or Kodak paper? If so, how can the same image win both awards? Can electronic albums with a Fuji or Kodak? Thanks

- trr

Ron_Jackson
03-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Congratulations Dan! Very well done. Your images are beautiful and masterful.

DiannaAllen
03-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Great Job Dan!

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Way to go Dan! Too bad I was not able to make to MES this weekend, I could have seen your prints in person.

That would've been awesome. I gotta tell you Andrea, if you can get to one of those meetings that Will was talking about you should do it. When I got my awards last night, I told Jon Johnson that if it wasn't for him those first two years I probably would've just hung it up. He's a good teacher and very encouraging... take full advantage!

Awesome job, Dan!

Thanks for posting and giving all of us fence-sitters some of the real dirt on competition.

Stupid thread derailing question - what's eligible for Fuji and Kodak awards? Does it have to be on Fuji or Kodak paper? If so, how can the same image win both awards? Can electronic albums with a Fuji or Kodak? Thanks

- trr
Thanks Todd! I'm doing my best to kick you guys off the fence!

Everything is eligible for both awards, but for the Gallery Elite given at Nationals you have to have used at least one Kodak product in the making of the image. It is unlikely that one image will win both awards at one convention, though I have seen it happen. I won the Kodak at our state competition and the Fuji at the regional... two seperate competitions. You can only win each award once for any given image, so at regionals you had to fill out eligibility papers for each. It doesn't suck to win one period, but to win one at regionals is kinda cool because you know their are five states and alot more competition. Which also reminds me, three of us from WV made it into the regional top 10, including me. Never underestimate a hillbilly!;)

Congratulations Dan! Very well done. Your images are beautiful and masterful.

Thanks Ron!

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks Dianna!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-03-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm overwhelmed... You can see just how comfortable the couples are when working with you and all of your images are as Ron said "masterful"... That was exactly what I was thinking when I read his post!

Teya_Rutherford
03-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Dan, how did you overwork the one of the couple? That is my favorite image - I think it is just gorgeous!

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm overwhelmed... You can see just how comfortable the couples are when working with you and all of your images are as Ron said "masterful"... That was exactly what I was thinking when I read his post!

Thanks Cindi... I think that's one benefit of truly loving what you do, whether it's weddings, kids or seniors. I love being there and they know it. That and I have no shame when it comes to making them smile.:rolleyes: I don't know about the "masterful" part... but I do appreciate the compliment.

Dan, how did you overwork the one of the couple? That is my favorite image - I think it is just gorgeous!

That was actually one of my favorites too. The one I posted here was actually before I overworked it. On our test print, we thought his hair was a little dark and one or two other places. When the print came back, those areas were horribly muddy and very pixelated. It never showed on the screen... and it was too late to get them reprinted. Oh well... maybe I'll enter a few of these next year and I'll just be lazy.

Will_Price
03-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Just caught this thread....now you know why I want to sell my cameras.:o

(I wonder if Long John Silvers has any openings??);)

JohnHeckler
03-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Ok, Dan is the Man! His images were even more awesome in person! It was great meeting you Dan and congrats on all the awards! They were well deserved imo. 4 for 4 two years in a row ... that is impressive to say the least!!

I have no idea how I missed taking a shot of your for the Fuji (sorry about that!), but I got one of you up there for the top 10 WV photogs that I'll send ya.

I thought judging was pretty harsh this year at MES. The judges weren't meriting anything with even the slightest technical issues it seemed. I suppose that is how it should be, but I think they definitely upheld a high standard for merits.

A big lesson learned for me this year ... do NOT wait until the last minute to get your prints made LOL. Well, some people probably can and still pull it off, but not me. 78 was as close as I came to a merit this year at MES ... still have time to get something together for Nationals (when it really counts) though ... :-)

Andrea_Chapelo
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
That would've been awesome. I gotta tell you Andrea, if you can get to one of those meetings that Will was talking about you should do it. When I got my awards last night, I told Jon Johnson that if it wasn't for him those first two years I probably would've just hung it up. He's a good teacher and very encouraging... take full advantage!

Dan, you never know you may just see me at one of those meetings. Maybe next time I will get more than 3 hours notice so I can get it scheduled:p

Will.....that is a big hint, in case you missed it:D

Marc_Benjamin
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Love Second Hand Jeep!

Yup, 4/4 for the second year in a row!

Congrats on bck2bck POTY man that's awesome! Also, mad props to you on sending in that album. I'm still too chicken to send in one to regionals or nationals myself.

So we gonna see you in AZ for the POTY (or master) awarding?

bob_hancock
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Congratulations!!!!
Had the opportunity to visit the prints this weekend. Remember looking at your Images! Second hand Jeep my favorite!
Bob

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Just caught this thread....now you know why I want to sell my cameras.:o

(I wonder if Long John Silvers has any openings??);)

Will, I didn't see any of yours there??? Whats up with that? Regionals is where it counts!

I have no idea how I missed taking a shot of your for the Fuji (sorry about that!), but I got one of you up there for the top 10 WV photogs that I'll send ya.

John I wish we would've ran into each other sooner. I had a blast hanging out with you! I would love to have any of those photos... just PM me or send them to my email. I would greatly appreciate it!

Dan, you never know you may just see me at one of those meetings. Maybe next time I will get more than 3 hours notice so I can get it scheduled:p

Will.....that is a big hint, in case you missed it:D

Yeah Will! Give me some notice next time you guys are getting together and I'll try to make it down too.

Love Second Hand Jeep!

Congrats on bck2bck POTY man that's awesome! Also, mad props to you on sending in that album. I'm still too chicken to send in one to regionals or nationals myself.

So we gonna see you in AZ for the POTY (or master) awarding?

Thanks Marc! That was my favorite images and I was beside myself when it scored so low at WV... I really felt vindicated at MES.

I'll tell ya, I think one of your albums would merit easily. I've been telling Todd Reichman the same thing! Heck, it's electronic entries so it doesn't cost you a penny. BTW, the guy and girl that won it all this year, Mark Garber and Jennifer Gilman, entered FOUR albums. They didn't display albums so I don't know what his scores were, but the guy that was 2nd had like a 92 case average! So this guy averaged at least that on WEDDING ALBUMS! Dan has a new hero...

I don't know about coming to AZ though... I'm about all traveled out this year and I've still got WPPI to go! But you never know...

Congratulations!!! Had the opportunity to visit the prints this weekend. Remember looking at your Images! Second hand Jeep my favorite! Bob

Thanks Bob! I wish I would've been able to meet you too... maybe next year we can all arrange a little get together.

Mark_Levesque
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
That's a great case, Dan. Stellar images. No wonder Will is intimidated. lol

MarilynDillon
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Dan - Great work and congratulations! You are inspiring. Want to look at some images? I am entering state for the first time. I have about 9 images that I am considering -- and am collecting opinions on which to enter.

David_A._Lottes
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Dang Dan
I'm having hero worship issues now, I don't know who to dedicate my animal sacrifices to, you or Marc?

You two guys have restored my faith in the system. Entering real world wedding photos and kicking booty. I'm inspired. :cool:

Marc_Benjamin
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Dang Dan
I'm having hero worship issues now, I don't know who to dedicate my animal sacrifices to, you or Marc? You two guys have restored my faith in the system. Entering real world wedding photos and kicking booty. I'm inspired. :cool:

Hi David,

I think I'll let Dan have the animals and I'll even bring the dried wood and oil for the burning!

I would like to have the unsoiled virgins like they had in the movie 300 though!

David_A._Lottes
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I would like to have the unsoiled virgins!

HA!
Something tells me I should have known that. :D

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
great job Dan!

Dan - Great work and congratulations! You are inspiring. Want to look at some images? I am entering state for the first time. I have about 9 images that I am considering -- and am collecting opinions on which to enter.

Dang Dan
I'm having hero worship issues now, I don't know who to dedicate my animal sacrifices to, you or Marc?

You two guys have restored my faith in the system. Entering real world wedding photos and kicking booty. I'm inspired. :cool:

That's a great case, Dan. Stellar images. No wonder Will is intimidated. lol

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Dan_Leary
03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi David,

I think I'll let Dan have the animals and I'll even bring the dried wood and oil for the burning!

I would like to have the unsoiled virgins like they had in the movie 300 though!

Hey, if you got time teach 'em, go ahead. Just send me... oh never mind.