PDA

View Full Version : portrait for CC

Laura_Piazza
03-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Any feedback for this one would be much appreciated.
thanks

John_Throneburg
03-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Although she is a pleasant looking subject, IMO, the pose and lighting are lacking for a traditional head and shoulders portrait. Also the light colored clothing draws attention from her face. A little more could be cropped off and it could be toned down somewhat. Parts of her dark hair have no detail on my monitor. I don't feel that this image will do well in competition.

The usual views of the face are full face, 2/3, and profile. For a 2/3 view, the body should be fairly straight to the camera with the head tilted toward the higher shoulder. A posing table will make it easier to achieve the high/low shoulder. With this subject, I would have her turn her body a little more toward the camera, sit up straight, lean into the table with elbows on it, bring her right elbow forward to lower that shoulder, have her turn her head to her left higher shoulder, and place the main light approx. 90 degrees to the right of camera to create a desirable light pattern. With the light in the correct place, the shadow side of her face would be facing the camera and there should not be shadows from her hair on her forehead. The head should not be turned so far that the bridge of the nose goes into the eye. Hope you find this info helpful.

Keith_A_Howe
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Laura
Welcome to the forums
As I see this image in competition it would be in the average catagory. The biggest problem is the shadow from her bangs blocking the main light from her right eye. Next it appears to be photographed with too wide of a lens which has distorted the size of her body in comparison to her face (note this would be a good lens choice had your subject been a large person).
If you are re photographing her in this position, I would suggest bringing the main light source to camera right 45 degrees off camera, so that it is coming into her face from her part (in the hair) side. I would leave her body at this angle (in most situations I like to have a womans body turned away from the main light to add detail and dimension to her body with highlight and shadows) and then turn her face into the light which will make this a short light (shadow side of the face closer to the camera) portrait. Take care to lift her bangs just a bit to create a pleasing image of her face to camera. This will allow the light to sculpt her face, as well as adding the light to the eyes which will give it some impact. If this is a window light situation, and you can't use the other side of the window (subject where camera is and camera where subject is) then flip her body the other way so the body is facing away from the window. Adjust her hair to move bangs just enough to get light into her eye. Lessen the fill from camera right.

In which ever case you are in, use a longer lens to lessen the distortion.
JMO Keith

Laura_Piazza
03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the great input, Keith and John! I knew the image had some technical problems, so it is really helpful to hear the specifics.

Keith_A_Howe
03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Laura
Keep posting and asking questions. I look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
Keith