PDA

View Full Version : Sweating bullets

Heather_L._Smith
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Okay, so I've been sweating bullets worrying about the darkroom portion of the book. I never had the privelege of spending any time in the darkroom, so I'm truly learning that part via the book without any hands-on experience or knowledge. And THAT had me completely paranoid and freaked out.

However, when I got on to PPA's site today to look at all the certification stuff, I found the "Test Specifications" page that gave a breakdown of the subjects on the test. It really didn't say anything about darkroom at all. It talks about digital post production, but doesn't give any indication that a traditional darkroom, or the process that occurs there, will be on the exam. Here's how they broke it down:

http://certifiedphotographer.com/test-specifications.html

There are still sections on Film, but it is focused on choosing the right kind of film for a specific need and result (e.g. black and white, color, transparency, etc.)

So, more than anything, I just wanted to run this by the group and make sure I'm reading that right. I have a basic understanding of what happens in the darkroom, but it's just that - basic. Based on what I read this morning, it appears that a basic understanding of that topic might be okay.

cat_broderick
02-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I took it last saturday and I dont remember any darkroom questions. Maybe one or two if that? Simple-order of chemistry or something? It was definitely heavier on lighting rations, fstop/shutter combos and equivalents. I kind of wish there WAS more darkroom as I cold handle THAT!

Andrea_Chapelo
02-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey Heather,
Since we are roomies Thursday night wanna have a cram session? I figure it will either make us freak out more or relax us.

cat_broderick
02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the most important thing is a good nights sleep. I had a very hard time sleeping the night before, partially because of the test, partially due to the snow plows beeping night long as they cleared the parking lot of the hotel. If anything THAT hurt me, not being able to think as clear.

D._Craig_Flory
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I took it last saturday and I dont remember any darkroom questions. Maybe one or two if that? Simple-order of chemistry or something? It was definitely heavier on lighting rations, fstop/shutter combos and equivalents. I kind of wish there WAS more darkroom as I cold handle THAT!

Hi Cat;

Gee, I hadn't heard that light was in short supply. Maybe it's just a problem where you are. Light here is plentiful and not rationed at all. :D

Andrea_Chapelo
02-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Cat, I don't know if sleep will be happening. We won't take the test until a few days after the cram session, but between the stress of the test and Heather and I entering the comp...:eek:
Anyway, any other advice since you just took it? Thanks for the tip on not stressing over dark room.

cat_broderick
02-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I was lucky enough to take the test sat am of our convention. It was originally scheduled for sunday am, but I appealed to the common sense that we would be tired and brain dead after attending seminars and print comp all day firday, sat/sat night to take it sun am....you may try asking for a different time if there are not lots of people taking it. We had three.

Read each question slowly to make sure you aren't missing anything, could be a trick question. Answer all the ones you are sure of, then go back to really work on the ones you aren't. Of course this said by one who does not know if she passed yet, so take it for what you will.

My advice, Tylenol PM. Sleep is good.

Heather_L._Smith
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Cram session sounds perfect. We're still two months out and I get butterflies every time I think about it!

Andrea - we don't take the test until Sunday afternoon, right?? I'm sending all my paperwork in today to PPA.

Heather_L._Smith
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh, and Andrea, you haven't already done print submission, have you? I'm planning to do the early May submission, so I should have pretty much everything ready to go by the time we take the test. I'm planning to bring it all with me so I can get plenty of feedback :)

Although, I get to spend a couple of days with Keith and Holly next week, so I've got a million questions to ask them about a million topics.

dennis_spaziano
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Andrea and Heather
The new guy here. When I took the exam I did not see to many questions related to the dark room. I can remember questions on the color wheel,
filters ,lighting and digital and some on the history of photography.
Because they are multiple choice questions ,read them carefully and take your time,you should have two hours to take the test.
I know you both will do just fine. Also I hope you both do well in Print competition. See you in New Hampshire in April. :D :D :D :D

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I took the test along with Cat... I remember one darkroom question and it was about the order of chemicals. A good night's sleep is key, too...I don't think I could have taken it on Sunday morning unless I had gone to bed early and missed all the fun (Thanks Cat for arranging for Sat morning!)
Other questions I remember: Selecting right film/camera/lens combos for certain situations; light ratios; selecting light modifiers for certain situations; lens selection...that's all I can think of right now!
I went thru the test and put a ? next to ones I wasn't sure of or just plain didn't know. Then I went back and double-checked answers or made educated guesses.
It really wasn't that bad!

Andrea_Chapelo
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Heather,
I have not done the print submission yet either. Good idea about bringing it with you. I will bring mine too and we can annoy everyone by making them look at our files:D

Hey Dennis...maybe we can annoy you:D

Heather_L._Smith
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Cool! Looks like May 9 is our submission date for images.

Mark_Levesque
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Sweating bullets? Are you serious? You are going to kick butt, both of you.

Don_Chick
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Heather,
I have not done the print submission yet either. Good idea about bringing it with you. I will bring mine too and we can annoy everyone by making them look at our files:D

Don't forget the Print Competition Jury panel. Most of them will be PPA Affiliate level jurors. Most also stay for the 2nd day and come to the print critique in the morning. They love to look and help fellow photographers.

So bring your prints and make them earn their pay!!!

Heather_L._Smith
02-29-2008, 03:03 PM
You'd better believe it, Don! Andrea and I are working like mad to get those prints ready!!

dennis_spaziano
02-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with what Mark said ,you guys "will kick butt. :D :D. And sure you can annoy me .:eek: