02-26-2008, 03:38 AM
I have NO expertise in critique for competition, but I do love this image

Will_Price
02-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Lovely composition on this one.

Valerie_Harte
02-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Not really qualified but...

I love the possible story, Love the lines and the way the circle frames the couple, the light on the left is distracting. I would darken it. There's also a paleness to the right that I assume is from a matching light that I would tone down to match the rest of the wall.

Anyway... take it with a grain of salt as I am pretty unqualified. :-)

Dave_Cisco
02-26-2008, 04:21 AM
I think it would do well, but Valerie was very much on with her comments. I think all evidence of the side lights would have to go...

Don_Chick
02-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Why not crop out the light on the wall on the left? My eye keeps going right over to it.... When I cover it up I go right to their faces...

Cindy_Shaver
02-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I disagree, I like the light on the left. I think this is beautiful. JMHO

Cindy

Marc_Benjamin
02-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry Greg, I don't think it's enough so thumbs down.

1. Don't feel the connection between the bride and the groom. I see where the moment is going, it's almost there yet it's stopped! Do you have one where they actually completed the kiss?
2. The graphical elements are off. That circle would be much much stronger if it was complete!
3. Tension between the light fixture and subjects takes away from the message which is supposed to be romance. Also, there's nothing really unique and interesting about that light anyway. It's just an ordinary lamp.
4. from my screen, the sepia tones are kinda patchy all over the place.

Good attempt!

Lori_Luza
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I love the image....

and it made me think of a question.....

Do images that aren't square or rectangular in shape work in competition? Do people ever use a circle or oval with the keyline?

Would it be unique and attention getting to the judges or would they find it too odd?

...cause if ever there was an image......

:)

-Lori

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Greg;

I love this image ... both for clients & for competition. I know some of my colleagues have said no but I see this possibly squeeking up to an 80. However, it's going to take a lot of work. Here is how I see it. I called my version "Circle of Love".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/CircleOfLove.jpg

Stan_Lawrence
02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Turn the image upside down and see where your eye goes....what Don said....:cool:

andiegoodman
02-27-2008, 02:21 AM
I like the feeling of the image and Craig did it justice. I do wish the whole window (the top of the circle) was in the frame.

Keith_A_Howe
02-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Great location and great idea but there are just too many small issues that will keep this print from scoring where you would like. First Marc hit the nail on the head when he said the couple weren't relating to each other. They each appear like they are looking past the others shoulder. Next, the best light is on the groom's face. In a pose where the couple is facing each other, obviously it's practically impossible to get proper light on both faces, so always give the bride the best light. In this pose her face is in shadow and the brightest light hitting her is on her seat. A woman's bottom is not something they usually want emphazised. Especially not in a pose like this, where it is sticking out. I think it was probably photographed with a somewhat shorter lens. look how her hand on the window pane looks way to small in comparison to the rest of her. And like everyone else has mentioned, cutting off the top of the circle doesn't help this image. That being said, it's a phenomanal location and a perfect choice for a wedding image - circle of love idea, well worth going back and experimenting with the pose and time of day to improve the lightening. Wish I could go there with you. My mind is racing with all the possibilities in this spot.

Keith

Greg_Hawkins
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I guess this one is a NO :-)

D._Craig_Flory
02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Greg;

If you have four dynamite images, great. But, if you need one more to fill a case, I'd enter it ... with the changes everyone gave you.

I agree with others that you should do some more images in that spot using the recommendations given.

jenniferfeeney
02-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I think you need to see all of the positives and learn what to do the next time. I'm learning that we all get many nice client images (and this one is great!), but there is an added level of quality that makes it comp-worthy. If we strive for that, we will be become better photographers. It's all a learning experience!