PDA

View Full Version : To Laminate Or Not To Laminate

Larry_Spencer
02-22-2008, 10:07 PM
What is the consensus when it comes to competition prints? I use Millers and your only choice for competition is Laminate or Lustre Spray (which sucks) or nothing at all. All of my prints are black and white if that makes any difference.

keithpix
02-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I use Millers also. Do the laminate. They do a good job!

Larry_Spencer
02-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Will the laminate have any effect on the image as far as sharpness and contrast?

Cheri_MacCallum
02-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Just posted in another thread:

I have seen this a lot judging at several print comps over the last few years. The laminates cause blacks and shadows to go flat under the lights. At Fla last yearand in TN last week, every print that was flat under the lights was fine out from under them and they were all laminated. I'm certainly not saying all laminates cause this, but it did for the comp prints I've seen. Lamination is fine for normal work, but print comp is another story because of the lights.

I've not seen an effect on shapness!

Linda_Gregory
02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I've laminated my prints in all comps I've entered, (a whole two years!) except for one metallic last year and I have six merits.

I am going with straight Fuji gloss this year.

I've seen the 'milkiness' everyone talks about and it's sad that it's affecting the prints so much. I've talked with several suppliers to try to solve this but i've run out of time for this year.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I've noticed it the most on low key images or when the background( matte) is black. Med key to high key is not really noticeable under the lights!

Betsy_Finn
02-23-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm going with a high gloss paper instead of laminate at this point.

I've had some prints laminate + non-laminate to compare -- and definitely can see the milkiness that has already been mentioned. if your print is "on the fence" so to speak, could it make a difference in your score laminate/non-laminate? From what I've heard, I think its possible, so I feel like staying away from laminate. (and yes, it was most prominent on my low-key image....)

Cheri_MacCallum
02-23-2008, 03:54 AM
could it make a difference in your score laminate/non-laminate?

Yes, especially if the prints are on the low to dark medium key side! We scored the prints lower because they appeared to have exposure problems.