PDA

View Full Version : Shipped ... Whew !

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Well, about an hour ago I shipped my print case to Mid-East Regional. I sent it from the UPS Store, 2nd day air, which gives a guarantee of it being delivered no later than 10:30AM on Tuesday for the Tuesday deadline. Just making sure all the rules were followed is stressful enough and finally getting it shipped is the point where I can breathe again. You better believe I'll be on the net tracking it on Monday. Who else is shipping at the last minute ?
Now the fingers, eyes, and toes will be crossed till I hear any results.

Dan_Leary
02-23-2008, 03:29 AM
HA! Over achiever! I just got back from Charleston because my prints were still at the LAB! So... we drove 2 hours to the lab, picked up the prints, filled out the labels, packed the case (all at the lab) and sent the case via the "Mr. Ed Express". (Mr. Ed is the nickname of a fellow PPWV member) And you called one O' clock last minute. I am the definition of "last minute".

BTW... while I was there someone told me Will Price stopped by. But I was in the back and noone said a word. Sorry Will.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Now the fingers, eyes, and toes will be crossed till I hear any results.

Good luck Craig,
A while back when I was at a studio in Augusta GA, we had a portrait sample of a local priest and I used to hold my case under the portrait and ask him to bless it...yeah I know,pretty goofy, but it made me feel better. This was back in the days of my neg retouching entries...wow I feel old now!!

I usually ship mine with about a week to spare.

D._Craig_Flory
02-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Good luck Craig,
A while back when I was at a studio in Augusta GA, we had a portrait sample of a local priest and I used to hold my case under the portrait and ask him to bless it...yeah I know,pretty goofy, but it made me feel better. This was back in the days of my neg retouching entries...wow I feel old now!!

I usually ship mine with about a week to spare.

Hi Cheri;

Would that work for a Protestant ? ;)

At least I don't have the butterflies of someone entering a competition for the 1st time. My first state competition was in 1978 or 1979 soon after I joined PPAofPa in 1978.

OLD ? Remember that I'm 60 yrs. old ... so you are a teenager, in comparison ... and still look like one too.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Would that work for a Protestant ?

I guess, I'm one too!

so you are a teenager, in comparison ... and still look like one too.

You're too sweet!

bob_hancock
02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I will ship mine Monday last minute.
Will ship overnight!
Bob

D._Craig_Flory
02-23-2008, 06:34 PM
I will ship mine Monday last minute.
Will ship overnight!
Bob

Hi Bob;

It looks like you have the procrastinator award sewed up. I wonder if anyone can beat that ? I spent $36.93 to ship mine 2nd day air. For the sake of others, so they don't wait so long, please post how much overnight costs you.

bob_hancock
02-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Bob;

It looks like you have the procrastinator award sewed up. I wonder if anyone can beat that ? I spent $36.93 to ship mine 2nd day air. For the sake of others, so they don't wait so long, please post how much overnight costs you.

Will use Fed.X......Ohio is overnight, Will get the Guarantee!
Guessing $30.00. Not sure last year did the same thing it was about that amount!

bob_hancock
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I have a big problem with competition. When I get Images ready, always second guess myself.
Posting a few here on this form, still has me wondering?
Am I entering the correct ones?
I give advice to others, do not follow it myself!
Only do this with Competition Images!
Bob

D._Craig_Flory
02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a big problem with competition. When I get Images ready, always second guess myself.
Bob

Bob, at the Pa. April meeting, we can drink a toast if we have some images hang or drown our sorrows if we don't. You are a member of a big club ... the 2nd guess our selections club which I have a charter membership for. I've only known one guy who never worried. Jerry Pokorny always ordered an extra 16x20, if one got damaged, as well as a 3rd copy ... for if and when they went Loan ! I don't know that I'll ever have that kind of confidence.

bob_hancock
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Craig, Will miss the April Competition at states this year. It was a last chance effort to see how you images scored before Nationals. Glad it will be back to April next year. However I would prefer February!
Bob

John_Stein
02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Bob

Bob and Craig,

I almost always second guess myself. This year I didn't as soon as the MD convention was over I took the highest scoring prints ( had 4 that were 80 or above) and immediatley sent them to SEPPA. What I use to do was if any of them did not get the Seal at SEPPA I would take my highest from the PA convention and substitute them for National. With the PA Convention being in Oct. this year can not do that.

Is it true that the PA convention is going back to April in 09? Would love it if we did.

Bob I don't think we have met but I am the newsletter editor for PA. Don't even want to start listing everything I do for the MD group, Craig already thinks I am crazy.

John

bob_hancock
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
John, Craig,
Glad I am not alone on the second guessing! Also glad there is more then one Judge!

D._Craig_Flory
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
John, Craig,
Glad I am not alone on the second guessing! Also glad there is more then one Judge!

Hi Bob;

Having 5 judges can be good or bad. Each score is worth 20% when totalled together & divided by 5. So, if someone really loves your image they may give it a nice high score. But, if someone does't like your entry, they may give it a fairly low score. Both of those scenerios are kept in check by the 10 point rule. If any judge's score is 10 points, or more, from the aggragate score there is an automatic challenge. If the combined score is a 79 and one judge gave it a 72 the others that liked it will tell what they liked. The one who didn't care for it gets to tell why. Hopefully those with the higher scores comvince the low score judge(s) to give a higher score when the print master asks for a re-score. At any point, even if there is not an automatic challenge, a judge can stop the proceedings and challenge a score a print received ... to voice why they feel it should have scored higher or why the score is too high.

Then there are the ins and outs later. All images scoring 78 or 9 are brought back. A print need 3 thumbs up, out of 5, to go up to an 80. And, the lower 80s' are brought back. If any get 3 thumbs down it goes down to a 79. It's great to look at the back of your print and see a 79 crossed out and an 80 written instead. But it's awful to see an 80 crossed out and a 79 written. I've had both happen.

bob_hancock
02-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Shipped my overnight today!

Craig, The cost was $38.00 for the case. The only difference was paying for a 10 am verse 3 pm delivery!

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I just checked the tracking and my print case was delivered a little after 10AM today !!! Ok, one load off my mind now. :o

bob_hancock
02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Received e-mail
Case received at 10.04 am.

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Received e-mail
Case received at 10.04 am.

Hi Bob;

Don't you feel a whole lot better now ? You can put down that roll of Rolaids.

bob_hancock
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Bob;

Don't you feel a whole lot better now ? You can put down that roll of Rolaids.

Craig,
Keep wondering did I enter the wrong prints! Always Nationals in July!

Art_Wright
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
So, when do you guys find out the results?

bob_hancock
02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Judging is Thursday and Friday.
For myself, I plan on going to trade show Saturday.
Craig he may have a spy at Judging

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
So, when do you guys find out the results?

Hi Art;

I have my spies watching for my images. I'll get e-mails or phone calls. I sent an e-mail to the studio receiving the print cases and asked when the results will be posted on the Mid-East web site & was told a few weeks ! He said the cases should be shipped back the Monday after the convention. I should know long before I get it back if I should be happy or not.

bob_hancock
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Last year was at Judging. Only seen one of mine get Judged.
They have two different panels at same time!
Bob