PDA

View Full Version : SEPPA Rules Update

Ron_Jackson
02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Just received this information. If you are preparing for SEPPA, read carefully.
Sandra Pearce was right, you can ship all images from different catagories in ONE case. Makes sense, because it cuts down on case handling.

This update was dated January 23rd but I just got a copy:

Changes for 2008 Competition Print Rules

SEPPA Exhibit Chairman

Randy McNeilly

(704) 482-0011

· There is no Art Tech category and no Transparency category this year.

· Include a CD with medium resolution jpeg of each print entry for use at the awards banquet, in the magazine, and on the website.

· There will be only one category for wedding albums – no separation for single maker and multi maker: you may enter in the 2 sub-categories, but all will be judged together.

· Things to remember in CD Album competition: 1. Resolution is 2560x1600 (if your resolution is less, the page will appear smaller on the viewing monitor)
2. Up to a maximum of 36 canvases (double page spread = 1 canvas)
3.Begin with a blank (black) canvas – this DOES count as one of the 36 canvases.
4. DO NOT include studio information in the presentation.
5. If you are entering more than one album it must be on a separate CD.

· You may enter as many as 3 print cases:

Portrait Open (PO)
Electronic Imaging (EI)
Commercial (C)

· Each case requires a separate entry form and entry fee, but may be sent in the same physical case.

· If you choose to enter more than one case and send them in together, PLEASE pack all paperwork on top to avoid missing any entries

Stephanie_Millner
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok, question about album resolution. Isn't that marrying you to designing for a certain size album? (Particularly, oriented horizontal) I use Graphistudio and all my layouts are according to 9.5x13" - so isn't that automatically disqualifying anyone who doesn't use a square format book?

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
· You may enter as many as 3 print cases:

Portrait Open (PO)
Electronic Imaging (EI)
Commercial (C)

· Each case requires a separate entry form and entry fee, but may be sent in the same physical case.

Ron, Obviously I was wrong when I told you that you had to have a seperate case for open and EI at your regional. Hope you hadn't already ordered two. I called Jim Dingwell to ask him about this same issue at national. He said no, you cannot combine entries from EI and open into the same case for national. The regional can do what they want but at national you would need to send them in seperately. But here is some other news that may interest everyone. Starting with this year, you are NOT required to use a shipping case to send your prints. This is for national only. You can ship them in a cardboard box. HOWEVER!!!! If you choose to send the prints in a box, they will NOT be returned to you.

Keith

Mark_Levesque
02-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Starting with this year, you are NOT required to use a shipping case to send your prints. This is for national only. You can ship them in a cardboard box. HOWEVER!!!! If you choose to send the prints in a box, they will NOT be returned to you.
This would seem to me to be the ultimate in defeatism. If they don't get returned to you, then any seals you get are useless. So you wouldn't do this unless you were pretty sure you weren't gonna get any (or already have so many merits that you don't need any "sure things" for national.)

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Ron, Obviously I was wrong when I told you that you had to have a seperate case for open and EI at your regional. Hope you hadn't already ordered two. I called Jim Dingwell to ask him about this same issue at national. He said no, you cannot combine entries from EI and open into the same case for national. The regional can do what they want but at national you would need to send them in seperately. But here is some other news that may interest everyone. Starting with this year, you are NOT required to use a shipping case to send your prints. This is for national only. You can ship them in a cardboard box. HOWEVER!!!! If you choose to send the prints in a box, they will NOT be returned to you. Keith

Hi Keith;

Hmmmm, I can see that. If someone was sure of having all four prints go loan they wouldn't back anyhow. :p

P.S. ... with Master Craftsman Affiliated Judge Keith Lewis, now posting, we may have to refer to you as Keith #1 and him as Keith #2. ;)

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
This would seem to me to be the ultimate in defeatism. If they don't get returned to you, then any seals you get are useless. So you wouldn't do this unless you were pretty sure you weren't gonna get any (or already have so many merits that you don't need any "sure things" for national.)

Mark, if you re-read the part of my post that you quoted, you will see I said this is for national ONLY. So seals are not an issue.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
02-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Keith I did order two cases. Bummer. However, IF I have anything to go to Nationals, it is clear two would be necessary. Sure seems like it would make life easier for everyone including the print handlers if there werehalf the cases to handle and half the costs to the entrants. Oh well. Progess takes time.

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Sure seems like it would make life easier for everyone including the print handlers if there werehalf the cases to handle and half the costs to the entrants.

Ron, If you had ever worked a national print judging, you would know that it would only make things harder, not easier, if prints for two different competitions were in the same case. Every case has a number and every print has a number. Those numbers correspond to the competition they are entered in - like maybe all 1000 numbers are portrait open and maybe all 2000 numbers are EI. So imagine being on print crew and sorting through 10,000 prints and trying to find the right case for a set of EI prints which are in the 2000 numbered and should correspond to the 2000 numbered print cases , but they can't find the case . . . oh wait, this maker also entered open so these prints go in a case that corresponds to the 1000 numbered prints. Plus sometimes it is obvious that a print is intended for EI not open, but sometimes it's not obvious just by glancing at the print. Not all EI entries include a guide print on front. So then the print crew has to make sure as they are unpacking that they are seperating the EI from the Open entries and getting them in the right stacks for the right panel s to judge them. A simple thing to check if you are talking about 200 or 300 prints, but remember we are talking about 10,000 prints. The other thing Jim mentioned today is if you start letting makers put entries for two different competitions in the same case, the next thing that happens is someone will say "then we should be able to put two entries from two different people from the same studio in the same case. Then you have two people with the same print case number and another chance for record keeping headaches. Also keep in mind that the merit records are tied to those print numbers. So by having two entries in the same case you also open chances for the merits to be credited wrong. Like for me, I already have my Master's, but am trying to get my Master's EI degree. If I had an EI print merit and because of confusion caused by having both EI and open in the same case number the merit was recorded as a print instead of EI merit, I would be effected on earning my degree. If that is confusing to read then imagine how much more confusing it is multiplied by the thousands of print cases. Then imagine after competition when cases are being repacked. A volunteer, who can't possibly have every single case memorized, would place your 4 open entries in the case, say all 4 are here, ship it out. How would they know that your particular case needed 8 prints back in it? They would have to stop and check the records for every single case to see if there should be 4 prints or 8 prints. Again - a simple thing that would take 30 seconnds and not a big deal when you are packing up 200 or 300 prints. A whole different issue when you are talking the magnitude of national judging. I have just brought up a few of the places that would increase confusion, there are many others, like print critiques and photographing for loan and showcase books. So while from the outside I agree it seems it would simplfy things to put multiple entries in one case, I know from seeing the reality, it would only open up multiple opportunities for errors. And would actually increase the amount of labor needed to unpack, record and sort, then repack after the fact. This is just one of those things that is hard to understand without knowing the whole picture.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
02-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Never mind. :) I understand.