JohnMalboeuf
02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.johnmphoto.com/images/gameface_lr.jpg

Any thoughts on this image?

Thanks,
John

DianeDavis
02-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Like it! Is there anyway to get more light in his eyes?

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi John;

You outdid yourself this time John !!! I really like it. Here is how I see it being worked and presented. I titled my version "Intensity". I hope this helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Intensity.jpg

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi John!

I only have a second so I will write quick.

I like this alot. My one recomendation would be to crop off the bottom just a lttle more. An eye will always go to the writing in an image and in this case I think that is what will happen and it is distracting. So by cropping it out I think it would be better.

Also, I like the image the way you have it in the center of the mat because of the fact that this is a straight on subject and very uniform (not the word I am looking for but I hope you get it) and I think that would add too it.

More light in the eyes too and I think you nay have something here.

Good Job!

Cheri_MacCallum
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I agree with Nylora on the composition. Dead center composititon can work if the image is bold enough and this one is. Choose a title that's just as bold as the image to carry though.

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I would like to hear more that like the dead center. I was always taught that only one thing works well centered and that's Crash Point Symetry where you have converging lines leading you to the center of interest. I didn't think the helmet bars did that. I hope Keith and Dave will respond.

Heather_L._Smith
02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I was thinking centered, too. And, actually, maybe a more narrow presentation of the image - not quite so square. if you crop more off the bottom as Nylora suggests, you'd end up with a wider, shorter image. Does that make sense? (think letterbox vs full screen)

Cheri_MacCallum
02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I would like to hear more that like the dead center. I was always taught that only one thing works well centered and that's Crash Point Symetry where you have converging lines leading you to the center of interest. I didn't think the helmet bars did that. I hope Keith and Dave will respond.

Rules can be broken and this one is no exception. To be dead center, the image HAS to be bold/strong and this one is in my opinion. And, if the title carries through it's even better. Look through some loan and showcase books...dead center composition is there in a few cases and in each case it works.

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Thank you Cheri! You explained my thoughts perfectly.
I really feel this is a strong image made stronger being placed dead center.

Joe_Galioto
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
i agree with the centering of this image.
rules are a good thing - but if we are supposed to be artist, then throw the rules out the window and go with your gut.
there are plenty of times when an image should be centered.
and don't you hate the fact that we use the term "rules"?
following rules are a safe route, but breaking them puts you on the edge and if you can call yourself an artist then that's where we must balance, "on the edge"
and how sick of you seeing every photographer refer to thier work as
"fine art" really - get over yourself.
whew
joe

JohnMalboeuf
02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi guys, I need to take in what i just read. I am trying to better myself with Portrait Images. Thanks for the feedback.

I like the centered presentation on this image myself. I think I need to work up a vertical and see if that is better and/or a more horizintal crop.

I also understand D. Craigs point as well.

I am going to work on a few ideas this evening and repost.

Thanks,
John

JohnMalboeuf
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I came up with these 2 different versions of this image.

Game Face horizontal
http://www.johnmphoto.com/images/eriklaxsource3_lr.jpg

Game Face - Vertical
http://www.johnmphoto.com/images/gameface3_lr.jpg

Any thoughts?

John

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi John;

I would go with the Vertical for impact.

Joe_Galioto
02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
john,
i wouldn't crop the bottom of the helmet.
joe

JohnMalboeuf
02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advise. I think I will go for the Vertical. I also believe that it has the most impact. I will fix the cropping before printing.

Best of luck at your competitions.

John Mal

John_Throneburg
02-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I would go with vertical and centered L to R. The centered image has much more impact, kinda in your face whereas the off centered image looks weaker like he is just looking on. Do you think it would help to lower the image a little to bring his eyes down to the 1/3 mark on the matboard?