PDA

View Full Version : BayPhoto Finishes for Comp Prints

MarilynDillon
02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I noticed that they have glossy, super glossy and metallic finishes available - What might you suggest?

Joe_Galioto
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
marilyn,
for most comp prints the super glossy would probally be the best choice.
i'd only order metallic on select images that would look good with this special effect.
joe
what do others think about metallic on comp prints-do you see them doing well?

D._Craig_Flory
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Joe;

I'd only use Metallic IF an 8X10 had first been printed and it looked good under judging lighting intensity. The one problem I've heard is in the shadows ... not giving a good true black. Linda owns a lab and can maybe expound on that some more.

Something to keep in mind. You don't have 5 judges all viewing an image from the exact center. The side judges see an entirely different angle. If the metallic looks great, straight on, it may not look as good from the sides.

I just go for the highest gloss possible in paper surface as well as the spray lacquer I use in my spray booth.

Michael_Gan
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Use the super glossy. Most of my loan prints came from Bay's Supergloss. Personnally, as a judge, I don't care for how the metallic prints look in the comp lights (although I try not to take that in as a factor). There's something just too weird about them.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
In almost every case where I have judged, the metallic finish was not noticeable under the lights. Only when we saw them for awards judging, not under the lights, did we notice the metallic finish.

Linda_Gregory
02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
As Craig indicated, Metallic paper takes special treatment to get a good black. It's got a plastic finish that makes processing tricky.

We have our processor set up to change when we put in either the Fuji or Kodak brand of the stuff so our blacks are black.

I did merit an image last year with the metallic and no mention of it came during the judging that I know of, nor during the video critique.

An image that looks good in the metallic is usually a high contrast image with saturated colors. That said, we print a lot of black and white on metallic which, of course, is NOT saturated but it gives a true metal feel.

I also print on glossy paper only for my print comp. Done are the days of three layers of gloss spray. *whew* I have laminated them but the extra time, cost and worry with a milky finish is not worth it to me.

Larry_Spencer
02-22-2008, 10:13 PM
does laminate give black and white comp prints milking colors?

Cheri_MacCallum
02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
does laminate give black and white comp prints milking colors?

As I've mentioned in another thread about print comp, I have seen this a lot judging at several print comps over the last few years. The laminates cause blacks and shadows to go flat under the lights. At Fla last year, every print that was flat under the lights was fine out from under them and they were all laminated. I'm certainly not saying all laminates cause this, but it did for the comp prints I've seen.

Linda_Gregory
02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Larry,

It looks like a gray film on the surface when held under the lights just right. You see it more in the dark areas which, of course, with competition, you have MORE blacks to be affected.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I've noticed it the most on low key images or when the background( matte) is black. Med key to high key is not really noticeable under the lights!