PDA

View Full Version : Judging Class

Michael_Brantley
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Not even sure if this is the right place for this question, but does anyone know where to find the info on the judging class? I have looked and done the search on the ppa website to no avail.

The class is the one you take if you want to become an affiliate judge. Any help is appreciated!

-Mike

Don_Chick
02-19-2008, 01:06 PM
It's in July in Florida..

Couldn't find anything at ppa.com, but I am sure I've seen it in the magazine...

D._Craig_Flory
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Good morning Mike;

That is an excellent question. I searched the PPA site and also found nothing. I called PPA and found that you should contact Jim Dingwell. (the same guy we send our print cases to) This is good to know.

I do know part of the process is submitting prints (20 I think).

Good luck !

Don_Chick
02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I understand now that you have to have at least 25 print merits too.

Michael_Brantley
02-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I understand now that you have to have at least 25 print merits too.

I think they've gone back and forth on this one, but I believe they have settled on 18 credits.

Art_Wright
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
In my judgement, you have no class... Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Marc_Benjamin
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Per the application that's on the PPA site: http://www.ppa.com/files/public/JurorAppIntro.pdf right now, the minimum is still 25 and I guess that can be combined art tech and open.

Michael_Gan
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
If I recall, anybody can go to the judging workshop in Daytona, for qualifying for affiliate judging, you would need the required merits...what ever they decide it is.

James_Dingwell
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
The PPA Affiliate Jurors workshop also known as the "Recognizing a Merit Image" class generally runs concurrent with the International Judging. This year's class will be in Daytona Beach July 20-23, 2008. More information and registration will be available online at www.PPA.com very soon. Interested members may also contact me for more information.

Basic requirements and applications for Approved Affiliate Juror status are available at www.PPA.com or directly from me.

Jim Dingwell
PEC Administrator
jdingwell@ppa.com

Teya_Rutherford
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm new at all this but it seems there are two levels of judging? You first have to be a state level judge, right? How does one go about becoming a state judge?

D._Craig_Flory
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm new at all this but it seems there are two levels of judging? You first have to be a state level judge, right? How does one go about becoming a state judge?

Hi Teya;

I have judged, when I was just certified, for a sub state sized group. For our state we do require someone to hold Master of Photography. I am pretty sure that is not a requirement from PPA for states but it's up to each state.

It's when you move up to judging a regional, or PPA, that you need to be an affiliated judge.

Teya_Rutherford
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Cool. So you have to get your 25 merits for the Masters and exhibition merits have to come from regional or international competition, right? Do state merits count for anything?

Don_Chick
02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Do state merits count for anything?

State degrees & awards only....

Anyone can judge at state level. Usually they (the Print Committee Chair) like to have someone with at least a Masters but it is not required. In New England we've been putting on a one day judges workshop to train more beginner level judges. Also the New England states have been giving wanna be judges with no experience opportunities to judge. In the end this will raise the quantity of judges around New England for the states to draw from for their print competitions.

To give credit to those teaching the judges class at PPANE... Roland L. Laramie, M.Photog.Cr., Hon.M.Photog., A-ASP, CPP (Past President of PPA) and Gary J. Thibeault, CPP, M. Photog.Cr..

D._Craig_Flory
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Cool. So you have to get your 25 merits for the Masters and exhibition merits have to come from regional or international competition, right? Do state merits count for anything?

Hi Teya;

State merits only count in that state. Here, in Pennsylvania, we have a state degree ... has nothing to do with PPA. You don't get merits at a Regional but can get a "seal" for scores of 80 or higher. If an image gets a seal it is automatically a merit as long as it's sent to national the next year.

Also ... the 25 merits you alluded to for Masters ... you only 13 of those to be print merits. The other 12 can be "other" merits.

Michael_Gan
02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
State Merits for state would not qualify for PPA considerations. California did not require a Master for the state competition and had one craftsman in the group I judged. For regional, the regional affiliate is allowed only one PPA approved judged in the the region. All the other judges must come from the other regions.

D._Craig_Flory
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
State Merits for state would not qualify for PPA considerations. California did not require a Master for the state competition and had one craftsman in the group I judged. For regional, the regional affiliate is allowed only one PPA approved judged in the the region. All the other judges must come from the other regions.

Hi Michael;

I'm surprised at yout state not requiring someone to be a Master to judge there. As I said before, Pa. requires all to be Master and they usually look for one or two to be an affiliate judge. Gee, I could judge there. Do you pay travel, room, and meals and a small fee ? What part of the state are the state competitions ? This is one Craftsman who would like judging out there.

Michael_Gan
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
This was a person who should have been a master a long time ago. She will receive the degree next January. We only pay for out of state judges when it's a Western States Regional in our state (we switch with Washington every other year).

Michael_Brantley
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I heard from Jim Dingwell, the number of print merits required is 18. I have a document I will try to cut and paste that has the requirements neatly spelled out.