PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this one......?

Julie_DeGuia
02-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Here is another I pulled out for possible print submission. Is it too ordinary? This was taken in the open doorway to a house, so I had to burn the background b/c it was cluttered.

A couple things I see that might be "wrong." Bright clothing and back hand cut off.

Title maybe just... "Happy Baby" although he is almost one in this picture so some might not get that he is a "baby" still.

Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/CarsonComp-resize.jpg?t=1203410160

Hassel_Weems
02-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I can't tell you anything about competition but I love this portrait. The light, his expression, and position are all working for you.

I would probably leave the clutter in the background because I'm weird like that.

Lori_Clapp
02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry, I can't help as far as competition either, but I think it's adorable!

Laura_Beth_Bailey
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi, Julie!

I can't comment on competition, but I really like this happy portrait. I love the lighting, the twinkle in his eyes, the softness of the light on his hair! You can almost smell air and fresh air and linen! Precious. You did a nice job de-cluttering the background. I'd not have guessed it was ever there!

D._Craig_Flory
02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Julie;

As a client image, I adore it ! As a possible competition image, you could maybe get the score into the mid to higher 70's with a lot of work. The most glaring problem is the hi-key outfit in a low-key setting.

There are some correctable things you can do. One is making the subject layer a good bit smaller. Kids need a lot of room around them to keep the aspect of being little.

I'd like to see you work this image to make changes for competition and then re-post. You could try changing the outfit to at least middle-key so it isn't drawing all the attention.

Keep something in mind. Story telling is an important aspect of a good comp. image. Which tells more of a story ... what you posted or a child playing with, and looking at, a spinning top ?

Julie_DeGuia
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Craig - at least he is not smiling AND looking at the camera! :-) I will see what I can do about making some changes and reposting. I am not exactly sure how to change the color of the white outfit... that is a photoshop trick I have not yet figured out. If anyone can post a few simple instructions I would certainly be willing to give it a try.

Thanks,
Julie