PDA

View Full Version : Portrait for CC

JohnMalboeuf
02-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Does this have any potential? I am more of a sports and nature photographer.

image destroyed, I mean removed

Thanks,
John

D._Craig_Flory
02-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi John;

One day a light bulb will click on and you will have instant enlightenment. Keep trying and keep entering and that day will come soon.

Your image is cute and I'm sure they liked it a lot. However, it has many problems for competition. The white clothes are totally out of key. Big smiles generally don't do well. It has flat lighting. The squinty eyes are from creation at the wrong time of day. (which a scrim could have helped) Thw image layer is way too bright. The pose is static and the fists up under the chin do nothing to help. The pose also has amputated their bodies. I'm sorry if I was harsh but I don't want to give you falsh hope on this one. I'd score it a 72.

I hope you will look at family portraits in one of the PPA General Collection, or Loan Collection, books and compare to learn.

Don_Chick
02-17-2008, 03:08 PM
John,

You have a great client image, and I am sure they loved it. For print comp; however, your looking at an average score at best.

This is an imo comment... The thing to watch for with the "lay them down on the grass" pose is that they don't appear to be pushed down into the ground. Because they have no body showing behind them they appear to be pushed into the ground up to their waists....

Just for fun...
I've seen the face on the right in cartoon form on Mad Magazine when I was a kid!

D._Craig_Flory
02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
John,

You have a great client image, and I am sure they loved it. For print comp; however, your looking at an average score at best.

This is an imo comment... The thing to watch for with the "lay them down on the grass" pose is that they don't appear to be pushed down into the ground. Because they have no body showing behind them they appear to be pushed into the ground up to their waists....

Just for fun...
I've seen the face on the right in cartoon form on Mad Magazine when I was a kid!

Hi Don;

OMG .. you're right !!! For those who don't know, he's talking about the famous Alfred E. Newman. His favorite saying was "What, me worry ?" :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

JohnMalboeuf
02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Don and D.Craig,

Thanks guys, I am ROTFLMAO. I guess I found A.E. Newman in alive and well in NH.

The Client did love this image. This is more of a Green Ribbon image than even a White ribbon.

Thanks for the honest assesment. I need to hear the good and bad. Don and I have talked in the past about hearing critiques. The best way to learn is to know what you are doing wrong.

I did say that I am more of a Sports and Nature Photographer. I will keep trying.

Thanks,
John