Title: "Straight Curves"

image removed

Any possibilities here?

Thanks,
John

D._Craig_Flory
02-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi John;

I generally like images straight up a spiral feel like this. With your angle it shows competing areas not going the same direction. In ones I like the spiral continues from bottom to top. Do you have more at this location ? I'd like to see one with the lens pointed pretty much straight up the middle.

JohnMalboeuf
02-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi D. Craig,

It is at Rowes Wharf in Boston. I was on the way into a family party and shot the image. I was running short on time getting to a boat, with my wife reminding me, and It was the only one I did.

I need to go back and take more time.

Thanks,
John

BobSmith
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
With your angle it shows competing areas not going the same direction.

Which is precisely why I find it more striking than most images of this type of subject. The composition forces the viewer to keep looking around the image and discover its depth. I have no clue what competition judges might do to this image but I like it a lot. You could possibly lose a small portion of the black space on top... other than that, I love it exactly as is.

Lori_Luza
02-17-2008, 03:35 AM
LOVE it!

I mean, I don't have any right to a competition-worthy opinion, but this is something I'd strongly consider purchasing for display in my home!

wow!

D._Craig_Flory
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
LOVE it!

I mean, I don't have any right to a competition-worthy opinion, but this is something I'd strongly consider purchasing for display in my home! The presention is like a limited edition and / or museum style.

wow!

Hi Lori;

I agree 100% about it being sales worthy.

Hi Bob;

Your assessment: The composition forces the viewer to keep looking around the image and discover its depth - there is no definitive center of interest which is why your eyes roam around. I too had my eyes keep roaming around instead of being drawn to one point or area.

So, in response to both your posts ... it is a striking image full of many interesting areas. For sales it works very well. For competition I just don't see it doing well.

John ... I worked the image and now like it a lot more. I'd now give it at least a 78. I called it UFO and hope this helps. It now has a center of interest and it's at the 4th quadrant.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/UFO.jpg

JohnMalboeuf
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi D. Craig,

I like the changes.

I still need to go back into Boston and do a few more shots. I am only about 45 minutes away.

Thanks,
John