PDA

View Full Version : Spill the beans Leary...

Will_Price
02-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Dan Leary done very, very well here in WV, he is a real terrific artist.:D His buddy Brian is no slouch either.

Mark_Levesque
02-16-2008, 04:12 AM
So neat to see all our ourPPA buds being called out as their respective print competitions are held. Let's hear it, Dan!

Will_Price
02-16-2008, 04:22 AM
He is probably still being carried around on a gold guilded cot by the other members...He can't even walk down the hallway here without several women throwing themselves into his arms...he has been really busy kissing hands and shaking babies.

Dan_Leary
02-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Will impresses easily... I only got four blues and he got three for cryin' out loud! The women throwing themselves into my arms happens all the time, it has nothing to do with my photographic skill.:rolleyes: We'll have to see how it all pans out tonight at the awards banquet.

Michael_Gan
02-16-2008, 01:59 PM
The women throwing themselves into my arms happens all the time, it has nothing to do with my photographic skill.:rolleyes:
Was going to make a crass West Virginia joke, as all of us have in the past, but I've promised myself to behave this year :D Congrats!

D._Craig_Flory
02-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Dan;

It's so old hat, and typical, for you to get 4 blue ribbons that you shrug it off like a QB tossing 4 TD passes in a game.

Now tell the truth ... the women throwing themselves at you are all Steelers fans and like your jersey ... right ? :p I wonder if that would work here where most are "Iggles" fans ? ;)

Anyhow, even though you always go 4 for 4 ... congratulations !!!

Don_Chick
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Congratulations Dan!!! Keep us posted.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Dan, you already know what an amazing artist I think you are! Congrats my friend :-)

Marc_Benjamin
02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Awesome!!!

BTW, w/c comp was this?

Stephanie_Millner
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Congratulations, Dan!

Ron_Jackson
02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats Dan! You are the man of the day! Way to go!

Will_Price
02-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Was going to make a crass West Virginia joke, as all of us have in the past, but I've promised myself to behave this year :D Congrats!

Hey, they were only his stepsisters and distant cousins, give him a break...;)

Dan was misinformed, I earned really only two blues for my photographs, however our wonderful artist Barb Sullivan used one of my images in her retouching/painting catagory and scored blue. (Does that count for me?) haha

Brian_Price
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Good morning all, Okay, I was there last night at the awards banquet for the West Virginia State Convention. Danny did very well. I will let him tell all the details but lets just say it looked like he just came from a fire sale at the crystal factory.

Way to go Danny, my mentor " and occasional boss ".

Brian

Dan_Leary
02-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks all, it has been a very good weekend! Our print judging was very... odd this year. Everything, everything fell within 15 points. I've never ever seen that happen, but whatever. I didn't do as well as I would've liked to in the open judging but I cleaned up in the closed judging. Just to get to the crux of it, I won:

Best Wedding Print
Best Color Commercial Print
Best B&W Portrait
One Judges Choice Award
Fuji Masterpiece for Portrait
Fuji Masterpiece for Commercial/Illustrative
Kodak Gallery Award For Wedding

PLUS their were four other prints that scored higher than my highest and three that scored the same, so imagine my surprise when they announced my wedding image as BEST OF SHOW! Yeah, I almost pooped.

Then to top it all off, Brian Price and Will Price (no relation) who are two of my best buds got three blues and two blues respectfully with each taking home a piece of glass. Brian for Best B&W Commercial Image and Will for Highest Scoring Fall Entry. AND Will was voted onto the Board of Directors... so now I've got an inside man!

I really couldn't have imagined the weekend going much better made all the better by being surrounded by good friends. I appreciate all your comments. After Mid East convention I will post my images for all to see.

I do want to add that last year was the first year I got ANY blues at all. My first year was all white and red, my second year was all reds, my third year was two blue/four red and this is my fourth year. It is a progressive process, and you will never learn the game until you start playing it.

Don_Chick
02-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Great Job!!!! Thats awesome.....

Mark_Levesque
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Good for you, hauling home all that hardware! Have to rent a trailer or what? :D

Will_Price
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
He said he really didn't need the bling and put it in the dumpster behind the convention center.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Congratulations Dan!

Tracy_McGee
02-18-2008, 02:23 AM
That is so incredible! Way to go!!! :D And way to go Will as well!!!!! :D You guys rock! :p

So when do we get to see the images?

MarilynDillon
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
As someone new to this whole thing, you are an inspiration! I am looking forward to seeing the work.

Andrea_Chapelo
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I wanna see!!!!!
Congrats Dan and Will...now show us your images:D

Will_Price
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I will post mine later on, btw Andrea, we are having a meeting tonite in Wheelersburg Ohio with a number of photographers to discuss comp. prints, wanna come?

Andrea_Chapelo
02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey Will, where is Wheelersburg?

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Andrea;

You go past the falling down barn, over the crick, and when you smell the sour mash being brewed as WV Mountain Dew ... you are there. :D

Will_Price
02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry Craig, it is Ohio Mtn. Dew...close to where Andrea lives.

David_A._Lottes
02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
WAY TO GO DAN!

Gee I wish someone like you would teach a Super Monday on weddings. :rolleyes: :p :D

Dan_Leary
02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
As someone new to this whole thing, you are an inspiration! I am looking forward to seeing the work.

Thanks Marilyn,
For most of us it's not an overnight thing, but I think I'd rather have it that way. My first year my highest score was 78!

I will post mine later on, btw Andrea, we are having a meeting tonite in Wheelersburg Ohio with a number of photographers to discuss comp. prints, wanna come?

I see how it is... invite the young hot chick but forget about the chubby old guy? Thanks Mr. Director!;)

Dan_Leary
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Andrea;

You go past the falling down barn, over the crick, and when you smell the sour mash being brewed as WV Mountain Dew ... you are there.

Hey DC,
These guys didn't make it past the sour mash!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/_MG_2704.jpg

For those that don't know, on the right that's Keith Lewis and Gerry Solan from PA. I envy you Mark because this is a great buch of guys you'll be hanging out with in April! All the guys from PA have always been some of my favorite to hang out with at our convention. Last year when I got my first Gallery Award, I think Gerry was more excited than I was!

WAY TO GO DAN!

Gee I wish someone like you would teach a Super Monday on weddings. :rolleyes: :p :D
Thanks David! I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of pressure yet... but I'm giving it some thought. I would like to have that Masters...

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey DC,
These guys didn't make it past the sour mash!

For those that don't know, on the right that's Keith Lewis and Gerry Solan from PA. I envy you Mark because this is a great buch of guys you'll be hanging out with in April! All the guys from PA have always been some of my favorite to hang out with at our convention. Last year when I got my first Gallery Award, I think Gerry was more excited than I was!

Thanks David! I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of pressure yet... but I'm giving it some thought. I would like to have that Masters...

Hi Dan;

A little more, for those who don't know. Keith is a past president of PPAofPa and Gerry will be president in two years. Keith is also one of several Masters I have as mentors as I go for Master.

Andrea_Chapelo
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I see how it is... invite the young hot chick but forget about the chubby old guy? Thanks Mr. Director!;)

Hey Dan, I am not sure who the young hot chick is....cause I am older than you I think:(

And Will thanks again for the invite...man, I really wish I could make it. After I talked to you on the phone I did a mapquest to see if it was something I could swing tonight. But 21/2 hours is a bit too far tonight. I am so bummed.

David_A._Lottes
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I would like to have that Masters...

Well here's hoping your four blues all go loan, I'm getting too old to wait around for you to get a ribbon before you feel comfortable enough to teach. :cool:

Dan_Leary
02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey Dan, I am not sure who the young hot chick is....cause I am older than you I think:(

Yeah, but you're younger and hotter than me and Will... so it's all relevant!:D

Well here's hoping your four blues all go loan, I'm getting too old to wait around for you to get a ribbon before you feel comfortable enough to teach. :cool:

I need to get thru Mid East and WPPI then I will evaluate the situation. Can I call you for direction/advice?

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2008, 05:46 PM

And Will thanks again for the invite...man, I really wish I could make it. After I talked to you on the phone I did a mapquest to see if it was something I could swing tonight. But 21/2 hours is a bit too far tonight. I am so bummed.

Hi Andrea;

Hmmm, since you are 23, that would make Dan's age to be ... ? :D

David_A._Lottes
02-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Can I call you for direction/advice?

If your teaching I'll be calling you for directions to the class!

Call me anytime Dan. :cool:

Mark_Levesque
02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Dan, I am not sure who the young hot chick is....cause I am older than you I think
Ok, how about smokin' grandma? LOL

keithpix
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Dan. Congrats on the awards at WV!! Glad I could be there to see you so excited. Thanks also for posting that great shot of us at the bar!! If you notice, my glass is only half empty! lol

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey Dan. Congrats on the awards at WV!! Glad I could be there to see you so excited. Thanks also for posting that great shot of us at the bar!! If you notice, my glass is only half empty! lol

Hi Keith;

It may be half empty but, how many did you have before that one ? :p