PDA

View Full Version : Categories in NHPPA State Comp

MarilynDillon
02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Could someone help to clarify the categories for nhppa? The rules state the folllowing:
Portrait
Commercial
Social Candid
Open/Illustrative

During the mini-critique the category of "weddings" was mentioned. Is there other categories that I don't see on the rules? What is the difference between Social/Candid and Open/Illustrative?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Weddings is for Social Candid. Social Candid could also be for a baptism, or Bar/Bat Mitzvah etc.

Jeff

D._Craig_Flory
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Could someone help to clarify the categories for nhppa? The rules state the folllowing:
Portrait
Commercial
Social Candid
Open/Illustrative

During the mini-critique the category of "weddings" was mentioned. Is there other categories that I don't see on the rules? What is the difference between Social/Candid and Open/Illustrative?

Hi Marilyn;

In Pa., Illustrative is also called Salon. That is for scenics and other artistic images including nudes.

D._Craig_Flory
02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Marilyn;

Here is the description Illustrative (Salon) in Pennsylvania:

An illustrative photograph shall be defined as: A photograph which is an interpretive presentation on any subject matter not included in any other categories. Some of the techniques used may be: paper negative, abstracts, derivataions, bas-relief, tone-line, or experimental. The subject matter may be, but is not limited to: pictorials, landscapes, seascapes, still life, or nudes.

So, please read the full description for your state.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Craig,

NHPPA, not PPA of PA!!!:)

andiegoodman
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi Marilyn;

In Pa., Illustrative is also called Salon. That is for scenics and other artistic images including nudes.

So in PA, a nude is not a portrait?

Portrait - exactly what it sounds like
Commercial - product illustration, architectural, etc
Social Candid - any social event like a wedding, bar (bat) mitzvah, anniversary, etc

Open/Illustrative - anything that does not fit in the above catagories

D._Craig_Flory
02-16-2008, 04:39 PM
So in PA, a nude is not a portrait?

Portrait - exactly what it sounds like
Commercial - product illustration, architectural, etc
Social Candid - any social event like a wedding, bar (bat) mitzvah, anniversary, etc

Open/Illustrative - anything that does not fit in the above catagories

Hi Andie;

It's up to the maker whether to enter a nude under portrait or Salon. If it's treated in a traditional way I'd say portrait. But, if it's handled in an artistic impressionistic way or other methods then Salon can work better. It depends on what other type images you want to be competing with. I think I'd rather enter a nude in a category where I'm up against scenics than in one where really cute kids are and more. The maker must decide which will garner the better scores.