PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Regional Print Competition

Rick_Massarini
02-15-2008, 04:57 AM
Ok, all, I'll be at the SWPPA Regional Convention for the next few days, but I'll bring a notebook and try to make a few notes regarding how our forum members fared at SWPPA. I'll update with some results after I get back on Wednesday. Good Luck to all of ourPPA forum members who are competing this year !!! Hopefully, I'll be able to report some of our members walked away with some "Best of's..." See you there - and again - GOOD LUCK to all!!!

Don_Chick
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Rick,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the ourppa members. We need to know these things!

D._Craig_Flory
02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi Rick;

For those who have never competed, I'd like to suggest trying to photograph the judging setup. I think it would be a big help to see the backdrop, turntable with an image on it, the judges at their table and the mini spots.

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Your Wish is my Command (or,if you're on a PC-my Cntrl). Here are a couple images of the judging turntable and the lighting setup that we use at SWPPA. I'll have to dig a bit to find a photo of the turntable that we use at National - it's basically the same except that it has a base stand as part of the turntable instead of having it sitting on a table - it's a bit more efficient that way...

I'll try to pull a copy of the lighting diagram and post it later...

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Here's the info from the SWPPA Competition.
The only member of the OurPPA forum family whose prints I saw at SWPPA was Charlotte Dameron.

"Electricity Captured"
SWPPA Seal of Approval
Judges Choice Ribbon
SWPPA Distinguished Print Award in the First-Timers Category

"Incognito"
SWPPA Seal of Approval.

Not too shabby for a First-Timer, eh !!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations, Charlotte !!!!!!!!!

If any other OurPPA members competed in SWPPA and hung any prints, please add a post to this thread...

Michael_Bobinski
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Rick - it was good to meet you at SWPPA.

Even though I did not put anything into the competition this time, most of the speakers were top notch, and (even though I didn't spend any money) the tradeshow was pretty good as well.

Michael.B

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Rick;

Thanks, I think that will help a lot of people. Now they can see what it looks like instead of trying to picture it in their minds.

I am surprised to only see 5 chairs. I'm used to 6 chairs with the alternate sitting there to get up to speed again after a break as well as judging if a judge knows a maker. Maybe the 6th chair just isn't in view.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
The 6th chair was there, you just can't see it.

Keith_A_Howe
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
So Rick, how did your prints do?
Keith

MarieLeslie
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I had two merits this time. I guess that's progress. I saw quite a few. It was an excellent competition.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I had two merits this time. I guess that's progress. I saw quite a few. It was an excellent competition.

I would love to see what you entered. Congrats on the merits!

Marc_Benjamin
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Congrats Marie! Now which ones were they? I remember seeing some of your early choices from the old ProNet list!

MarieLeslie
02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Here are my two. Now I need to get started on my prints for our state competition in a little over two weeks. Ack!

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Rick;

I am surprised to only see 5 chairs. I'm used to 6 chairs with the alternate sitting there to get up to speed again after a break as well as judging if a judge knows a maker. Maybe the 6th chair just isn't in view.

The sixth chair is just clipped off on the left hand side. I figured that the lighting arrangement and the relationship of the judges table to the turntable was more important than how many chairs were shown.

David_O._Bailey
02-22-2008, 07:34 PM
The print competition scores from the 2008 print competition are now online at SWPPA.com

D._Craig_Flory
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
More OurPPA members got blue ribbons at the Southwest Regional besides Marie. So, come on Rick and Mark and others. Let's hear which images got a merit !