PDA

View Full Version : do you second guess yourself?

Charlotte_Dameron
02-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Okay so I have my prints, got my case ready to go, and now, I am second guessing myself.

Did I do this print right, Is the the added grain too much, should I have turned that into a verticle, Are they going to notice that tiny sctrach in the emulsion, ect ect ect??????????????????????????

I am SCARED!!!!!! Were you as scared when you went into your first competition? Did you over analyze? Does the feeling ever go away?

As a side question, do you wrap your prints with anything to keep them protected? Do you put tissue paper in between the prints to keep scratching from happening? My prints are thinner than my case, do I put anything in there to keep them from jostling around?

I know questions questions questions!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
02-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Charlotte,
Look for a thread called Hating my case.

Read it to the end.

Feel better.
Jeff

Charlotte_Dameron
02-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I read that thread, and I have no idea why you would be hating any of those prints at all! I was totally green-envy-jealous of the fishing boat picture--it is amazing. congratulations BTW!!!!!!!!!

Don_Chick
02-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Charlotte,

Everything is gonna be ok!!!

Take a deep breath, put on your favorite bunny slippers, grab a bar of chocolate and relax in your favorite easy chair!!!!

Charlotte_Dameron
02-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Charlotte,

Take a deep breath, put on your favorite bunny slippers, grab a bar of chocolate and relax in your favorite easy chair!!!!

ohhh my feet do feel better in bunny slippers for sure...hmmmmm can I replace the chocolate with a cup of coffee (and just a nudge of bailey's in it"

Mark_Levesque
02-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Well, Don Chick invited/challenged me to enter the print comp, and it was only a month after i joined NHPPA, so I barely had time to complete things, much less obsess and second guess. Nowadays, I have plenty of time to second guess. And decide I have nothing to enter. Only to throw something together at the last minute. :o

JohnMalboeuf
02-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Charlotte,

Don,

Would you be "Pretty in Pink" or a "Delicate Beauty" in those bunny slippers?

I couldn't resist.

Sorry,
John

Hi Charlotte,

My first competition experience was last year. Go and enjoy the competition. It is a huge learning experience. You won't be able to breathe when your first print is turned, and if they discuss a print, well, I had all my hair before the competition. I did far better that I expected.

NHPPA print committee has a good explination on how to pack a case. I had no problems and did not use any tissue paper.

Best of luck,
John

Charlotte_Dameron
02-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Well, Don Chick invited/challenged me to enter the print comp, and it was only a month after i joined NHPPA, so I barely had time to complete things, much less obsess and second guess. Nowadays, I have plenty of time to second guess. And decide I have nothing to enter. Only to throw something together at the last minute. :o

YEs I have really not had alot of time to get things together either. Now with 2 days before I hand deliver them, I am stressing even more.

Andrea_Chapelo
02-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Charlotte,
I will bring the Baileys if you brew the coffee. I am working up mine to enter for the first time and I think I am gonna be sick:eek:

DianeDavis
02-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Isn't second guessing yourself in the job description of being a photographer?

Valerie_Harte
02-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Yes... I was a wreck... but wow was it rewarding. I think it was worse when your print turned and they didn't discuss it. I need feedback, but thank goodness for everyone on this forum who gave me plenty of it and helped me learn so much! we're here for you. Best of Luck!

Sandra_Pearce
02-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Charlotte,

I have done all I can do so I ordered my prints yesterday for SEPPA. I keep pulling them up wondering if I should have changed something. There does come a time to say that's it. When I don't, I tend to overwork my images. We all get those stomach jitters. The first time I competed I had been told it was better for your print not to be the first one up. There I sat and wouldn't you know mine was the first one to come around. I sat there through the whole judging and each time my heart skipped a beat when one came around.
I don't think it ever goes away. I hope it doesn't. That makes it exciting to watch. I wish you all merits.

Sandra

Don_Chick
02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
ohhh my feet do feel better in bunny slippers for sure...hmmmmm can I replace the chocolate with a cup of coffee (and just a nudge of bailey's in it"

Ok,

I'll eat the chocolate and you have the coffee and Andrea will bring over the baileys...

Hey, isn't this just the best place to hang around, everyone so friendly and all, willing to help.. :D :D

I think the jitters will always be there! Some people use illegal substances to get this kinda rush... :eek: :eek:

Peter_Bauer
02-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Charlotte,
I will bring the Baileys if you brew the coffee. I am working up mine to enter for the first time and I think I am gonna be sick:eek:

Andrea, I know you took advantage of the mentoring program at IUSA last month -- I spoke with you just prior to your "debut." Trust what you learned, believe in your prints.

If you're attending the conference at which your prints will be judged, try to attend the judging, and most certainly take advantage of any post-judging feedback sessions that are offered.

But don't be surprised if judges at the local/state/regional level have opinions that differ from the judges with whom we both spoke in Tampa -- judges are individuals, too.

And I think that this is the most important and valuable thought I can contribute on the subject: Put all ego aside and focus on the result. In my particular situation, I'm working toward my Masters so that I can authoritatively speak on the subject of photography in addition to Photoshop. (I've been a photographer much longer than I've been working with Photoshop.) But for you, or for others reading this thread, it may be more important to succeed in competition as a marketing tool rather than a "credential" tool.

Have faith in your case, believe in your prints, accept the results, apply the feedback, earn higher scores at the next level, earn your merits, get your degree, use that degree to improve your bottom line.

Best,
Pete

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 05:20 AM
...do you wrap your prints with anything to keep them protected? Do you put tissue paper in between the prints to keep scratching from happening?

When packing your print case, please have mercy on the members of the print crew who will have to unpack it. Please avoid using multiple tightly taped plastic bags along with tissue cover sheets, foam wrappings, sheets of cardboard taped to the prints, etc, etc... This kind of stuff just makes opening the print cases take much much longer. And when you're opening hundreds of cases, time becomes an issue. Also, if you bury your prints in packing materials, there is the possibility that the print crew may never find your prints among all the packing material (imagine... "Oh well - there's only 3 prints in this Master's case" ... because they couldn't find that little 7x12" slimline print inside that 20x24" 6" deep case filled with all manner of padding and packaging). Placing them inside an untaped plastic bag or just laying a sheet of release paper or foam sheet between the prints will usually adequately protect the prints. Also, if you do an overly elaborate job of packing the prints that takes the print crew 15 minutes to unpack, please don't expect it to be repacked the same way you packed it when you get it back since there will probably be a different person packing it as unpacked it.

I usually just place a couple sheets of 16x20 cardboard in the bottom of my fiberbilt case, lay in the four prints with a sheet of thin foam sheeting between the prints and put a couple sheets of 16x20 cardboard on top then place my entry form with my check (and image CD) on top of the cardboard (taping the top corner of the entry form to the top sheet of cardboard). I then close the case, cinch the straps and place a short 2" strip of tape on each of the four sides of the case to keep it closed in shipping (FedEx may require you to tape the ends of the straps to the case so they don't catch on anything in transit) and that's it - then it's off to the shipping station!

[QUOTE=Charlotte Dameron;131123]My prints are thinner than my case, do I put anything in there to keep them from jostling around?

If your prints are loose inside the print case, you can always add a few sheets of 16x20 cardboard to tighten up the case and keep the prints from moving around during transit (just don't use old competition prints as packaging as it just causes confusion - and yes, people DO do that), but if it's inside a regular Fiberbilt print case and the case is securely closed, it should be OK. A couple strips of tape across each of the sides should sufice to keep it closed in case the straps work loose, but please don't tape it up so fully that it takes 5 minutes to untape it - remember, at a regional judging the print crew usually flies in, so we don't have pocket knives to cut the cases open - plus the print crew will be opening and repacking hundreds of cases, not just yours!!!

Dave_Cisco
02-14-2008, 05:45 AM
When I got within 3 merits of my Masters, I told my wife to go sit through the judging by herself...I almost got hives waiting for them to come up.:D It's only slightly better now because of expectations.

Marc_Benjamin
02-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Charlotte and welcome to the forums.

I remember my first print comp attempt like it was yesterday. I decided to enter print comp a few months after joining my local in 04. Back then ourppa.com didn't exist so most of the help that I got was from a couple of yahoo groups that had a handful of PPA folks though no actual jurors but I'm very grateful for the great help I got there. Anyways I entered this:

http://www.kickstep.com/forums/12x18erin1comp.jpg
"Sunflower Sweater"

So it goes up and I seems like time stopped and BANG...... 74! Geesh, now (thanks for this topic cause it made me look for this image) I know that the judges were being nice. Boy, was I disappointed! I don't think I even really remember the actual comments since I was like totally bummed out.

Anyways, I didn't get discouraged though it took me 13 months/tries (we can only enter 1 a month) to get my first merit at local. During this time, I would ask for opinions from people whome I've met along the way such as teachers and other members. Every time I make a print, I do go back and look at it over and over.

After finally getting a print into the merit category, I had a crazy lucky streak and hanged 12 in a row at locals. I guess something clicked in me though that nervous excited feeling till the score was read never left me. Enter 2006 and now I feel that I'm ready for nationals.

Now boy oh boy... talk about contradicting myself, I swear I worked on my first national merit/loan image for an easy 50 hours since I kept going back to the image and reworking it over and over. One time, I actually started from scratch again. Now there was a different kind of nervous anticipation since I was not there for the judging. Still kinda scared to see if the images did good but thank goodness results were great.

Fast forward 2 years later to January 08 and talk about contradicting ones' self. I was working on my case upto 3 days before the actual regional judging. I just couldn't get myself to pick the ones to fill the case party cause I thought that all I had were pretty weak images. I felt that they were so weak that I actually thought of sending directly to nationals instead of risking a pretty low scoring case (side note: I'm speaking at that regional con and felt it might be embarrassing if there was a bunch of 70's on display with my name on it) at regionals. Good thing I contradicted myself on that crazy notion and entered.

Now the feeling for this one was something else. I have a lot of pressure coming in to this comp since I was only 4 away from my Masters. I stayed and watched the entire print comp and boy, talk about time stopping heart beating moments as each on of my images went up. I finally jumped out of my seat and had done the Tiger Woods fist pump thing when the last one merited. Finally, I've earned enough merits to apply for my Masters!

So, there's definitely a lot of contradiction, fear and nervousness that goes with playing in print comp. Win or loose, it's a good feeling to experience.

Good luck.

Andrea_Chapelo
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Peter, How nice of you to remember meeting me. You are just as nice now as you were that day:)

and Marc B....I thank you for sharing your story and for you posting your first comp image. You are a great guy and an amazing photographer!

Charlotte, Thanks for starting this thread. It sure is nice to hear that everyone else get nervous even when they have been doing it awhile! I think the morale of the story is you better brew a lot of coffee and I better bring a lot of Bailey's....cause everyone else is gonna need it too:D

Teya_Rutherford
02-14-2008, 03:05 PM
My prints are off to the PPAM today. I received them from the lab yesterday and didn't have time to look at them under bright enough lights, so boy am I ever nervous! Not only am I worried about the job I did, but about the job the lab did too, lol. I don't know if I will be able to sit through the judging without wetting myself. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I don't know if it is good that the feeling never goe away, or bad that the feeling never goes away! LOL

Thanks for the info on packing the case. The awas VERY helpful.

Last night I had to just stop looking at the prints and walk away, every little glance led me to something that I would worry about. I have never sat in on a judging. I have only seen the loan collections at Imaging USA, so I don't really know what to expect. Hearing the information from people who have actually been through it helps alot.

So I am off tommorow to leave my print case with the judges at SWPPA. I am not really aiming for lots of numbers or anything. This first time is just about learning how to enter for me.

If anyone else from this board is going to be there, let me know. I would love to get together.

Kelly_Michelle
02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Charlotte,

I will be there for some of it. I am going to miss a lot of it though. I didn't have time to enter anything this year but I am looking forward to seeing yours.

there is a starbucks downstairs, so if Andrea shows up with the baileys you should be all set!

Kelly

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Charlotte, no one ever stops second guessing themselves when it comes to which prints to enter. Just kick back in the audience and enjoy the judging (unless you're a print committee volunteer). See you in Arlington - I'll be in the print froom from after lunch until whenever, so you can drop off your case with me. It'll probably be a loooooooong judging. This year SWPPA will be an 11 state regional !!! Good Luck.

Linda_Gregory
02-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, I've had non stop chocolate and I still am a mess. have thrown out all my first and second choices and am now going to my third. Maybe these four have a chance.

ARRRGG!!! someone, please. go through all my stuff and pick out what I should use.

Huh? That's not how it works? ARRRRGGG!!

Dave_Cisco
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
ARRRGG!!! someone, please. go through all my stuff and pick out what I should use.

Huh? That's not how it works? ARRRRGGG!!

Not really.:) Once you have suggestions, the learning is in applying them to your work.

Julia_Gerace
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I always get the jitters.... and then there's this awesome calm-ness when I realize that it's not a life or death situation and that it's really all subjective. If the judges are on the same page as me, then that's awesome...if they're not...well, that's o.k. too- either they are looking for something different, or something I don't do, or they prefer different subjects... it's all good... you always put in the best that you have to offer at the moment - can't do any better than that, right?

the only thing that still throws me sometimes is the picking of the image... just suppose I have three in a row that I like but the hand position is different on each one...ugh... that's frustrating...that's when I try to chanel the judges : )

D._Craig_Flory
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM
For any of you that are nervous ... all you need is ... No, not love although that can't hurt. All you need is one judge who likes your image and is willing to challenge if they feel you deserve a better score. At Imaging, that would be a judge who asks to have it sent on to another panel.

Dave_Cisco
02-14-2008, 10:28 PM
For any of you that are nervous ... all you need is ... No, not love although that can't hurt. All you need is one judge who likes your image and is willing to challenge if they feel you deserve a better score. At Imaging, that would be a judge who asks to have it sent on to another panel.

Sometimes.:) ......I've seen judges challenge an image they thought had been over-scored also....they might have seen something the others didn't.

Don_Chick
02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
That's the thing with judging.... You just never know!!!

Keith_A_Howe
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Imaging, that would be a judge who asks to have it sent on to another panel.
Just so no one gets confused at the process, a challenged image does not automatically go to another panel. After it is challenged, discussed and rescored and if it does not merit, anyone on the panel or the JC can have the print roved to another panel.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Haha! As I was reading this thread, all I could think about was when I was in my younger (and more physically fit) years, I competed in a series of Miss America preliminary pageants. It was a great experience and a great confidence builder. The hardest part, however, was the swimsuit competition. Walking across a stage in a swimsuit and 3" heels was so horrifying it wasn't even funny. It lasted about 30 seconds... then it was over.

Just think... print comp isn't nearly as horrifying as swimsuit competition! In the end, competition, regardless if the prize is a crown or a pin... is all about finding ways to improve. There will always be someone better than us and we will always find things we can improve on... and that's the whole beautiful purpose.

(Oh, yeah.. and it also causes massive frustration and anxiety attacks... much like a swimsuit that won't stay put.)

Andrea_Chapelo
02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Haha! As I was reading this thread, all I could think about was when I was in my younger (and more physically fit) years, I competed in a series of Miss America preliminary pageants. It was a great experience and a great confidence builder. The hardest part, however, was the swimsuit competition. Walking across a stage in a swimsuit and 3" heels was so horrifying it wasn't even funny. It lasted about 30 seconds... then it was over.

Just think... print comp isn't nearly as horrifying as swimsuit competition! In the end, competition, regardless if the prize is a crown or a pin... is all about finding ways to improve. There will always be someone better than us and we will always find things we can improve on... and that's the whole beautiful purpose.

(Oh, yeah.. and it also causes massive frustration and anxiety attacks... much like a swimsuit that won't stay put.)

Now that takes guts Heather. If you can do that I expect to see your case in NH for sure. I don't even like trying on a swimsuit in the privacy of a dressing room, I can't imagine walking across a stage in one:eek: you go girl!

Linda_Gregory
02-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Not really.:) Once you have suggestions, the learning is in applying them to your work.

Dave,

You are so right but....I feel I should narrow it down to a reasonable amount and I am having trouble doing that. I WANT to do that before asking for more advice.

Can you tell I'm off the chocohigh? Reality and the reality is, I will be brutal this weekend.

Everyone, be around Monday!

Dave_Cisco
02-15-2008, 12:34 AM

Show us the pictures.:D :D :D

MarieLeslie
02-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Isn't second guessing yourself in the job description of being a photographer?

That's what I was thinking. Mine is packed and I'm still thinking, maybe I should have changed that one for another one. Oh, well. We have state next month and I get to pick five new ones and start second-guessing myself all over again.

Heather, when I was younger the bathing suit part wouldn't have phased me in the least (I lived in a bathing suit--4-6 hours a day of swimming made it actually look good--LOL). Having to walk in high heels, however--that would have terrified me.