PDA

View Full Version : How to title a print

Don_Chick
02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
For the benefit of those entering print competition here is some advice on how to title a print:

The best advice I was ever given: Capture the emotion in the image in your title.

Also, for advice on how NOT to title your print....

I know that there are some titles that judges just hate to hear as they are rather over-used. Anyone can help here...

I understand that Pretty in Pink is one to avoid.

Any others?

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Don;

This is a good thread. To add to it: I always suggest that one word titles are the best, usually, and five words are usually the most that should be used.

When I work on titles I have on the table a dictionary, a thesaurus, a TV Guide (movies make great titles), my Joel Whitburn "Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985" book (songs also make great titles), a set of 15 books I bought years ago from Jerry Pokorny, and some Loan Collection books. I get inspiration in many ways and always have a tablet handy when an idea pops into my head.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm keeping up with this thread. What about using the person's name in the title? What are your thoughts on this? I mean, I recently posted an image of my daughter; she was in an evening gown and I wanted to call it "Princess Vanessa"... I'm just wondering just how far off base I may be should I decide to enter it.

Or, can you even enter something of your own child??? Forgive the "newbie" line of questioning as this will my first time entering this comp!

Don_Chick
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm keeping up with this thread. What about using the person's name in the title? What are your thoughts on this? I mean, I recently posted an image of my daughter; she was in an evening gown and I wanted to call it "Princess Vanessa"... I'm just wondering just how far off base I may be should I decide to enter it.

Or, can you even enter something of your own child??? Forgive the "newbie" line of questioning as this will my first time entering this comp!

Cindi,

Entering an image of your own child is setting yourself up!!! Been there done that!!!

One image I entered using the child's name was titled (for state): Aspen
Yes her name was/is Aspen.... As soon as I heard the title announced I thought of ... City in CO, a type of tree, a men's cologne.... So when I sent it off to National I changed it to Victoria. It went loan!!! Did the title change do that? Not likely, but at least the jurors (hopefully) were less confused in the split seconds between hearing the title and seeing the image.

Gotta go shovel the white mess out of my driveway!!!

P.S. I like your new avatar!!

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Cindi;

Yes, you may enter family members images. As for a title ... it's usually best to use something more like "Little Princess" rather than a person' name.

Marc_Benjamin
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok, Here are my best practices.

1. I try to stick with one or two words. Unless you're Asian actually submitting from Asia and in that case it's ok to have a sentence for a tittle.

2. I avoid foreign words just because there's additional thinking involved for the judges. I personally don't want them to think anymore than they have to.

3. I try to avoid nouns rather stick with verbs and adjectives. Action words are more dynamic.

4. Please don't use famous art piece titles like "Mona Lisa". It draws comparisons to the originals. Which is kinda cool if you nailed it but how original is that?

5. Double-entendre's are pretty bold for titles. Can go both ways.

7. I try to incorporate the colors within the image as part of the title. Yes I have hanged a Pretty in Pink! lol

--------------------

Other cheezy over used titles:

Circle of Love
Anticipation
First Dance

Dave_Cisco
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Ok, Here are my best practices.

1. I try to stick with one or two words. Unless you're Asian actually submitting from Asia and in that case it's ok to have a sentence for a tittle.

OK, why the Asian exception? Is there an exception for each of the other continents?:)

MarilynDillon
02-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I had one instructor several years ago tell us that if it sounds like a romance novel to skip it.

Joe_Galioto
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
-i always went with the k.i.s.s. method for titles.
-direct and to the point, not too cute, not too obscure.
-if using a odd word or one not in english add a clue as to how you want
it pronounced in brackets next to title
names are ok, if they fit the subject - if not, change the name to what
he/she looks like or the image you want to portray to the judges.
-i once entered a photo taken of a barn in nj title was something like "irish
countryside" because that's what it reminded me of.
-one taken in a mexico city park i titled "central park west" sounded like nyc
-another one from a mexican convent titled "villa capri" now i was on the
island of capri twice, just not where this one was taken.

so what i'm saying is have fun with it.
joe

hope non of you think this is in any way cheating?

andiegoodman
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
For the benefit of those entering print competition here is some advice on how to title a print:

The best advice I was ever given: Capture the emotion in the image in your title.

Also, for advice on how NOT to title your print....

I know that there are some titles that judges just hate to hear as they are rather over-used. Anyone can help here...

I understand that Pretty in Pink is one to avoid.

Any others?

I suppose we could add "Delicate Beauty". Unless Steve uses it again this year...I am not.

Rick_Massarini
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Avoid the title "Field of Dreams". There are always tons of prints entered every year with that title.

Teya_Rutherford
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Is "Swept Away" too cliche'? I'm trying to name prints right this moment, lol.

Don_Chick
02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I suppose we could add "Delicate Beauty". Unless Steve uses it again this year...I am not.

For the rest... That's a joke from NH. One member uses that title often!!!

Rick_Massarini
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Also - avoid foreign language titles - I had one image go down in flames a couple of years ago because I got "cutesy" - had a Vitenamese bride so I gave it a title written in Vietnamese - really bad idea - the jurors said "what??? Not a merit" !!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Lots of good advise here! Who would have ever thought so much went into naming an image, but I can see just how important the title is now...

BTW, I'm happy someone likes my new AV! :D

Ron_Jackson
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
My four prints going to competition are titled:

"Leave Me Alone It's Not My Time To Do That Right Now" - it'a picture of a tiny black bug climbing a stick at night in the dark just before the moon comes up on a quiet summer night three days before it rained.

"Sweet Potato Pie and Leaves" - a picture of three bicycles parked next to a yellow fire hydrant that has a slow drip but it was fixed twice before.

"Stripes the Zebra"- picture of a cute little six year old girl with her torn hat that her grandmother gave her for her 4th birthday three years ago just after they came back from a vaction to Disney World where she left her stuffed toy zebra she named stripes and has never seen him since.

And my favorite: "Loon On The Water" which is a somewhat self portrait of me but it's another person when they were just getting out of a car they had bought at an auction six months ago but she got a ticket just a week before I took this picture throught the blinds. A compelling image.

Now how many who read this believe a word of it? Sorry for taking up space here just to humor myself. Back to the serious topic. And being serious, I am having just as difficult a time as anyone coming up with "real" titles for my comp prints.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
You know I have the hardest time thinking of titles for my prints, and I really dislike doing it, but it's always fun thinking of titles for everyone else's prints. Anyone else feel that way? :)

Valerie_Harte
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Ron.
LOL... It took me a minute to catch on.. I must be slow tonight. I was seriously trying to make a connection for a minute... yep... too much time on the computer today. hahahahahahaha

JohnHeckler
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Avoid:

1. Here's Looking At You
2. Sentinel (not sure you have to avoid it, but it is always the title of a couple few prints).
3. The Eyes Have It

Lori_Clapp
02-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Cassandra - I totally agree! it's always easier to help others with titles.

you'd think coming up with the images would be the hard part - titles are even harder!

cindi, I really like your new avatar too!

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 04:41 AM
More depends on the title than most people believe. I had a print fail to hang at a regional judging only to have it hang at the National judging (and come darn close to going Loan) with the only difference being that we hung a different title on the exact same print before it went to National!

Don_Chick
02-14-2008, 04:47 AM
More depends on the title than most people believe. I had a print fail to hang at a regional judging only to have it hang at the National judging (and come darn close to going Loan) with the only difference being that we hung a different title on the exact same print before it went to National!

But Rick... you did have a different panel of Judges too!

And after the print didn't hang at Regional, I bet you prayed harder over your case before giving it to the FedEx guy!

Keith_A_Howe
02-14-2008, 04:54 AM
with the only difference being that we hung a different title on the exact same print before it went to National!
. . . and Holly has the chocolates to prove it!

Keith

correction HAD the chocolate - chocolate doesn't last long around her.

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 05:24 AM
If she keeps me in titles, I'll keep her in chocolate !!!!

Lori_Clapp
02-14-2008, 05:25 AM
I would give all the chocolate in the world if Holly could help me with titles right now!!!!

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 05:32 AM
But Rick... you did have a different panel of Judges too!

Yeah Don, but I also had a secret weapon working for me on that print !!! A genuine Holly Howe title!!! You can't lose with one of those !!!
I've got another Holly title on one of my prints that I'm carrying to SWPPA on Friday! The print ain't that great but the title rocks!!!

cat_broderick
02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
If anyone feels like offering title help, www.cathleenbroderick.com/fortitles
My case is due tomorrow. I have titles for three, stuck on two of them.

(and yes they were printed down)

I was one of those set to use "Field of Dreams" this year! And I thought I was so original. Who knew.

Valerie_Harte
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Which two are you stuck on? The only one that came to mind was "Magic Button" for the second one. But that was off the top of my head. I love titles... not that I am any good at them,because I am not, but I love them

cat_broderick
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
1 and 5 are my tough ones
2 "Pregnant Pause"
3 "Sweet Caroline" or "FLower Girl"
4 "Quiet Confidence"
5 maybe "Unsure"......or "Hold Me"

sorry to hijak...