PDA

View Full Version : Print Case Needed

Jessica_Galaska
02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have or know anyone who is selling a print case? I need to buy one.

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Jessica;

I would suggest this instead. You will want a case that will hold up over many decades. I'd rather see you borrow a case from someone in your group for any competitions soon. Then, when you can, buy a new one. I own two and may buy a 3rd one in the next year or so. It's best to own at least two.

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Jessica, I left you a message on your answering machine. I have an extra case I'd be willing to sell. It's in practically new condition. Call me.

Keith

Tracy_McGee
02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry to jump in, but what type of case was the final decision to be the best to get when there was a debate about it last year?

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Tracey, I buy the cheapest Fiberbuilt case around. I know a lot of other photographers swear by the more expensive cases but I don't see where it's worth the added expense. The only time I have ever had extensive damage was the year I had prints go to Korea with the Loan Collection. Otherwise it's just been a few dinged corners and a few scratches. I have been entering since 1980 and Holly since 1994. We have only had one case wear out that had to be thrown away. The more expensive cases are nice but the cheaper ones do the job also.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I was really going for style points so I started acquiring zippered cases.

Rick_Massarini
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
The more expensive cases are nice but the cheaper ones do the job also. Keith

The big padded zippered ones are also more expensive to ship. The smaller Fiberbilt cases are less expensive to ship since most of the shipping companies use distance and size to figure the shipping charges - notice how FedEx always measures the box when you bring them something to ship...

Joan_Sherwood
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I did a short roundup on print cases a couple years ago. You can find it in the PPmag.com Goods archive http://www.ppmag.com/productreview-bagscases.php

Joan

Rick_Massarini
02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Joan - are you sure that the page is still live? I tried a bunch of times and your article will not open from the PPA goods site

Jim_Heidorn
02-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Rick,

I just opened the link, and it works fine.

Jim

Ron_Jackson
02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
So I found a great deal on the Fiberbilt 20x24 cawe but they are out of stock on the 4" case but have stock on the 3" case. I plan to ship both 16x20 for general comp and 20x24s for EI in the same case. Is 3" enough for 8 prints and separators?

Keith_A_Howe
02-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Ron, You can't do that. If you are entering both EI and portrait open you have to have a seperate case for each. You need two cases. You also know that you cannot enter the same image in both competitions? So that means 8 totally different images. Now if you are talking about your state competition, that might be different.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
02-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Sorry. I was lead to believe that with SEPPA I could ship both in the same case. I also thought I understood that you could use an image from print in EI but, it's my first time and I guess I just misunderstood. Thanks. I guess my question is answered then. Two cases.

Sandra_Pearce
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Ron,

That is my fault I thought I read it some place about the cases. Maybe it was in a thread or possibly in a dream. I know I sent mine in two cases last year to SEPPA and Nationals. I have two of each case if you need to borrow them until you can get yours. Not a problem. Let me know. They will be back before Nationals anyway. It will give you plenty of time to shop around.

Sandra

D._Craig_Flory
02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry. I was lead to believe that with SEPPA I could ship both in the same case. I also thought I understood that you could use an image from print in EI but, it's my first time and I guess I just misunderstood. Thanks. I guess my question is answered then. Two cases.

Hi Ron;

It's best to own at least two cases regardless. If you read about how long it takes to get a case back from the PPA competition, you can see why.