Any thoughts on this red tailed hawk?

Title "May I Help You?"

image removed

Thanks in advance,
John

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
John
I think I would reverse and crop in on it. Then dodge the highlights of the head and burn the midtones on the lower feathers. As it is now the brightest area is the ruffled feathers in the lower back and then the back of his head. I am also bothered by the perch or a glove at the bottom of the image. by cropping horz. you can eleminate this distraction. Rev the image and enlarge it onto the horz board.
If you don't mind I can post a example of what I am seeing.
Keith

JohnMalboeuf
02-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi Keith,

How is this?

image removed

John

MarilynDillon
02-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi John - I am a newbie here --- i think this image is very cool!
I dont have any advice -- just admiring:)

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Very good John that is very close to what I had in mind. Now that I can see it bring out his iris more with dodge highlights.
Good Job!
Keith

JohnMalboeuf
02-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi Keith,

I tried not to overdo the Iris. I hope I did enough.

image removed

Thanks for all your help.

John

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Looks good to me, Make sure it is sharp. It looks like you could sharpen some with out creating an over sharpened look because of the style of image. If print quality is as good as I hope it will be, I can see this in the excellant catagory.
Keith

Elizabeth_Pokela
02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Not to be contradictory to a master (who has ben so helpful to me :)--but Keith I think the dodged iris looks a little fake. The image was already remarkable in that you could see the color of the bird's eyes, which we can't generally see in nature. By lightening the iris, it takes what was already a slightly "unnatural" perspective on a bird-of-prey's eyes and makes it very anthropomorphic. IMHO, of course--not necessarily as a comp issue.

Elizabeth

JohnMalboeuf
02-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Thank you,

John

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Not to be contradictory to a master (who has ben so helpful to me :)--but Keith I think the dodged iris looks a little fake. The image was already remarkable in that you could see the color of the bird's eyes, which we can't generally see in nature. By lightening the iris, it takes what was already a slightly "unnatural" perspective on a bird-of-prey's eyes and makes it very anthropomorphic. IMHO, of course--not necessarily as a comp issue.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth you have every right you your views. Maybe the reason you have not seen the iris in a hawk's eye is because we are not normally allowed to see a hawk this up close and personal. The iris was there naturally and tends to show up more in specular lighting situations. Part of what adds impact in this image to me is that the viewer is almost piercied by the hawk's eye and held there (maybe like his prey must feel). Any way this is a discussion much like a challange during a judging, you stated your viewpoint, I listened and stated my viewpoint. We would then listen to the other jurors and if you were the challanger then you would have a rebutal where you could either try to sway or counter viewpoints opp. of yours or agree with the comments made. You would state your new score and all judges would rescore as well.

You did good to voice your opinions. Never feel that you can not disagree with me or anyone else.

Keith