PDA

View Full Version : Possible Print for Animal Category?

dsilbert
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Our VPPA conference is next Friday. I have hesitated to prepare any photos for competition due to lack of confidence.

I simply love this picture, but because it's a family member. Does it have any competition quality?

I originally had it titled "Nail Boutique" and a comrad liked that title more than Blue Eyes, but I'm worried that because the paws not beng in focus would be problem.

http://debbiesilbert.com/cyclefitness/helen/content/Helen_1_large.html

Opinions appreciated. Thanks!

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Geez, is it that bad? 32 Views and no replies?

Did I do something wrong?

Stephanie_Millner
02-12-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't know anything about print critique, but it's a cat and thus i love it nonetheless. Are you entering a case at VPPA?

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 02:26 AM
I was considering it, but don't know if it's good enough.

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Including image to preclude having to browse, although it's a bit small to see her beauty ;-) ...

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 02:46 AM
One other ...

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Deb, One of the most important aspects of photography is lighting, direction, exposure, ratio, specularity, in short all the aspects that you as a photographer need to control to create a successful image. This cat photograph doesn't demonstrate control of light to enhance the subject. Notice where your main light is striking the subject. While it is a nice rim light, there is no light creating dimension or life on the cat's face.

You ask if it's good enough. My response is "Good enough for what?". We see that question a lot on this forum, is this good enough?, is this worth entering?, is this competition worthy? The answer is totally dependant on what your goals are. If you will only be satisfied with four merit prints and lots of print awards the answer is different than if you are wanting to participate and use competition as a way to improve your work. If it's the later then every single image is worth entering because they all provide learning opportunities. I encourage you to jump in and try. If you never try, you never fail but you never succeed either. No guts no glory!
Don't hessitate to post images for CC either.
Good Luck Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Deb
The goose is much better. Is it tack sharp? Print it down 15 - 20 % darker with out loosing detail in the deep shadows. Take the sponge tool and set to saturate say 15% and go over the goose, make him jump off the background. I like the title.
Keith

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your input, Kevin.

I'm still confused by all of this. In the case of the goose, I thought the sun shadow ruined the picture, where I believe this is what you indicate is desirable to create dimension?

In the case of the cat, how does a photographer pose or control the light of a moving animal? Thoughts of posing a hummingbird come to mind; an impossibility unless in a tightly controlled situation. The only thing I can think of in that particular picture would been to have had a reflector in my hand which undoubtedly would have resulted in me having to peel her from the drainage pipes and made it impossible to keep up with her otherwise. I get a workout just trying to get her in a picture.

I'm not being defensive, just curious.

I didn't consider the goose a strong picture, other than the action caught, also because the legs are cut off. I will try the PS adjustments you mention and see if it turns out well. Gotta get working on that.

Thanks again!

dsilbert
02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Just re-reading your instructions. I'm still climbing the PS learning curve. Are you saying to use the sponge tool to saturate? Thanks, Keith.

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Deb
It would probably be stronger with more room around the goose and with the legs, can't tell for sure untill I would see the whole thing. As far as the sponge tool, You can use it to saturate or desaturate specific areas. This is why I suggested using it on the goose to make the goose stronger while letting the background stay the same adding the feeling of more 3D . I would then add a vingette with a soft edge to darken the bottom 1/3 of the goose and the background all around, again with the goal of adding more depth. The direct light you mentioned is giving a directional lighting that adds demension to the image. Be very careful using direct sunlight on people but it can be used on animals in some situations.
Hope this helped
Keith

dsilbert
02-13-2008, 02:07 AM
How's this?

Thanks for the tip on saturation. Honestly, I didn't even know of the sponge tool. I had to look it up in online help. ;-)

dsilbert
02-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Curious why I can't upload larger images and it seems everyone else can? Is that an additional curse of the newbie? And I also can't get the same wonderful color as in my PS working space of SRGB.

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Curious why I can't upload larger images and it seems everyone else can? Is that an additional curse of the newbie? And I also can't get the same wonderful color as in my PS working space of SRGB.

Save your image as an 8x10 @ 100-250 dpi flattened JPG (I suggest that you put a watermark copyright on the image). Then get a free account at www.photobucket.com and upload your image. Click the image tag (the bottom of the 3 choices below the image in photobucket). Then go to the forum and in your post paste the image tag (you will see the image if you hit the preview post button). That should do it for you.
Keith

MarilynDillon
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
hi deb - i am a newbie here too -- just figured out how to use photobucket yesterday --- it was great, and easy! Anyway, welcome and good luck.

Keith_A_Howe
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Your orgingal image had cropped off the goose's legs, I see now you have more of his legs showing, If you do not have all of them go back to the org crop or crop even a bit more off the bottom. IMO
Keith