PDA

View Full Version : Another Competition Possibly?

DiannaAllen
02-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Please critique.

Stopped to shoot some for me as I was leaving my hottest August Wedding. Considering that I was so tired I could hardly stand up, these turned out pretty good. The Moon was beautiful surrounded by those clouds.

Thanks

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/FullMoonOverBerryHilllr.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Pretty, but probably shot too late in the evening for competition...need to have some color in the sky.

DiannaAllen
02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi Dave, I saw that you were still up after I posted. Oh pooh! How on earth would I capture the moon like that if there was color in the sky. :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder about this competition stuff. You can see the tree line in the background and some other clouds.

Thanks for responding.

Stan_Lawrence
02-11-2008, 05:44 AM
"Oh pooh! How on earth would I capture the moon like that if there was color in the sky."

Hmmm...moonrise over hernandez? Not exactly color, I know... I agree with Dave, there just isn't any impact.....nothing to keep the viewer looking. Keep at it, it's a process.....:cool:

Ron_Jackson
02-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Dianna is this image on a RAW file? If so, open the raw file again and push the exposure way over to see if youcan open up the sky. If there is good information there without it being horribly pixelated, you might be able to create a sky layer and then another layer for the foreground subjects. It would require a bit of work and tweaking but it might be possible.

Dave_Cisco
02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Sometimes I wonder about this competition stuff.

It can get discouraging sometimes, but those who keep after it will finally win. If it were easy, everyone would do it.:D

D._Craig_Flory
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Dave, I saw that you were still up after I posted. Oh pooh! How on earth would I capture the moon like that if there was color in the sky. :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder about this competition stuff. You can see the tree line in the background and some other clouds.

Thanks for responding.

Hi Dianna;

I'm back from our two day state meeting featuring Stewart & Susan Powers.

One way to do what was suggested is to create one image right around dusk while detail remains in the sky. You do this on a tripod with angle focus, and focal length all the same both times. Next you create an image of the same scene after it gets dark. Put them together in Photoshop.

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Dianna;

One way to do what was suggested is to create one image right around dusk while detail remains in the sky. You do this on a tripod with angle focus, and focal length all the same both times. Next you create an image of the same scene after it gets dark. Put them together in Photoshop.

D Craig is correct in suggesting photographing at the right time of day. Dusk or Dawn depending which direction you need to photograph to get the angle on the building. However you will only need one exposure to do it. The brighter sky at this time of day will compensate for the spot lights on the buildings. This will look just like the night cityscapes you see in posters and commercial images.
Good Luck Keith

DiannaAllen
02-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Is this kinda what you are referring to?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/FullMoonOverBerryHill2copy.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-12-2008, 03:25 AM
That's closer...the detail you have in the sky makes the image more interesting than just a black, featureless sky.

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Yes, Try to pump up the saturation. watch out for artifacting and stop just before that.
Keith

DiannaAllen
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Here it is?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/FullMoonOverBerryHill2copylogo.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
This is stronger, The questions I have I can not see on these low res files so I will ask and you have to look and see if it is a problem. Does it look real or composited? When the sky was saturated or burned or dodged is there a line on the trees in the blacks that looks different to draw a judges eye? I feel like I am seeing a burn spot to the right of the moon and another area above the right corner of the building between the clouds and the tree branch.
Other wise I like the hint of detail in the forground and the vibrancy throughout the image.
Keith