PDA

View Full Version : Any Potential?

MarilynDillon
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I know that it might need work - this is my first competition and i am pouring over many, many images trying to choose ---
perhaps for a title "newly single"

Debra_Warner
02-11-2008, 02:23 AM
I know that it might need work - this is my first competition and i am pouring over many, many images trying to choose ---
perhaps for a title "newly single"

First, congrats on taking the steps to enter!

The image looks a little "muddy" to me, but it may be my monitor. There is light on her camera right cheek that draws my attention. I can't really see any light in her eyes?

If you turn the image upside what draws your attention? To me, it's the white of her top. You would need to somehow draw attention to the face and away from the top.

If you have many images you are thinking about, I think I would look for a different one. "Sorry" just being honest.

Look for images that have leading lines, "s" curves, vertical, triangles. Look for images that have a foreground, middle, and background to give your image depth.

Hope this helps, please do not take offense to my comments. :)

Debi

MarilynDillon
02-11-2008, 03:12 AM
thanks for your comments -- the more i learn, the more images I rule out ---
anyway, there is good light in her eyes and the image does have good contrast - it is very grainy, which was a creative choice I made. Nevertheless, I will keep looking.

MarilynDillon
02-11-2008, 03:16 AM
those darn white shirts! i have found several images that may have had some potential if it werent for them! ha! like i said, still learning.

Debra_Warner
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
thanks for your comments -- the more i learn, the more images I rule out ---
anyway, there is good light in her eyes and the image does have good contrast - it is very grainy, which was a creative choice I made. Nevertheless, I will keep looking.

Shooting for competition and shooting for clients are two complete beasts. You "almost" have to set up a shoot just for your competition image. OR, if you are shooting something for a client and you have an idea for competition, ask them if they mind doing an image just for you. I've never had anyone tell me no! I even approach strangers on the street and ask them if I can photograph them, and they say YES!

Don't let comments deter you from entering because that is the best way to learn what the judges are looking for. Make sure you sit in on the judging because that's how I learned and am still learning. PLUS, it will make you shoot better the next time!

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Debi

Stewart_Schulze
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
one thing to be careful of is the angle of the light it seems to almost be coming up at her and it might need to be a little softer

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Marilyn
Is it ok if I play with your image for a min and post the results?
I think you have an excellant title for this image. It explains the image very well. I see no problem with her camisole top being white. Do not let people tell you white is not good for competition. The problem is usually when white cloths are used in a low key - dark or black background - or when the amount of light hitting the white top is too bright and "blows out" the highlights. You don't have either of these situations here in fact if the top was darker it would be a distraction from her face. The tight crop to the left side of the frame I would normally shy away from but in this case with this title it works very well. This is a newly divoriced woman light by the bedside lamp - explains the lighting pattern used - about to get into a intimate relationship for the first time since the divorice - explains the strap down and her eyes shifted so far to the corners. There is light in her eyes and it could be enhanced a bit but again fits with the bedside lamp idea. I would like to see it with out the dark vingette, crop part of her shoulder and arm off and use retouching so she doesn't look so haggard and blotchy. I know you chose the grainy look on purpose but I believe it's not in keeping with this story.

Keith

MarilynDillon
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Keith - thanks - woot!I am now inspired to go back to the original and rework it. I feel so psyched that you "got it".

MarilynDillon
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
keith - i forgot to answer - of course, if you have the time:)

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Marlyn
Here it is. I couldn't retouch as well as I would have liked on this small file. I would also watch on her top at the left side, there is a darkening from the vingette that should not be left there as well. JMOs
Good Luck Keith

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Untitled-1-2.jpg

MarilynDillon
02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I totally appreciate it --- here is what I have now. Her face is very blotchy to start with.- i have worked on it some -- but want to make sure i stop before it is too much. i have also removed the grain and returned it to blacj and white.