PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from your affiliate?

Todd_Reichman
02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
This is sort of spun out of the Craftsman discussion going on. What exactly should you expect from your afiliate? What can you expect to learn, or what should you try to get out of the experience of being a member? How has being a member of your affiliate benefitted you (personally, artistically, business-wise).

Also, what should your affiliate expect of its membership? How can you contribute to the advancement of the organization and consequenly yourself? What does an affiliate need to prosper and benefit its membership?

This is coming from someone who hasn't yet joined or gotten involved, but it looking for the relevant opportunity and very interested in the role that each (the member and the organization) plays for the other.

thanks!

- trr

Michael_Gan
02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
This newer generation seems to be moving farther away from personal interaction. With the proliferation of online shopping, text messaging and Cell phones, there just seems to be that personal connection. And when they do get together, it seems to be more on a social level where personal intimacy is not involved. It cracks me up when our daughter spends 3 hours on her cell phone, then goes out to a club with that same person right afterwards. What's up with that? :D

Your local association gives you that personal interaction on a monthly basis. That, combined with Imaging USA, the regional conventions and WPPI is part of the complete package of the learning experience. It also gets you away from your studio for a while, which people really need to do on a more consistant basis. "All work and no play makes Jack (no not that one) a dull boy".

For me, I attend our monthly meetings as a time to get together with friends, and watch our members blossom as practicing photographers. I can't tell you how proud I am of the way their print qualities have improved over the last 5 years. Some of the "newbies" are now making more money than some of us old guys. Deb Wat is one of them and you should see how many contracts she has secured for a studio only less than 2 years old!

Key thing is to get involved right away, it will pay you back 10 fold.

Jack_Reznicki
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Well said.

Personal interaction has always been a huge, but under appreciated benefit of locals.

Mark_Levesque
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, I am a relative noob to the business, but I find our state affiliate to be very valuable indeed. Let's start with the educational opportunities. We have mini-Mondays (hey, I even taught one!), the Photo Festival, speakers at our monthly meetings, a quality convention with great speakers and a print competition that has attracted such participation that they had to lower the number of entries allowed per person from 6 to 5. Oh, and as our illustrious President reminded me, we have two day long seminars (summer and winter), one of which was held a week ago, featuring David Jay.

Next comes camaraderie, the of which is something that really ought not be underestimated. I have met so many great people, some of whom have helped me with technique, philosophy and/or equipment. And some whom I've been able to help in one way or another (usually technical). But there is a great deal of personal interaction and it is overwhelmingly positive. Where else are you going to meet people willing to lend you expertise and equipment? (Thanks a million Jeff and Carolle, for everything.)

And speaking of "giving back and getting a ten-fold return", how about this? We have an auction at NHPPA's convention, and various people donate items or services or expertise. Well, last year I won the auction for an afternoon of Don Chick's lighting instruction in my studio (meaning he will show me how to get results with the equipment and space that I have- how valuable is that?) This will be a one on one session with a master for an entire afternoon. And the price of this training? The princely sum of $100 (and a meal to follow). It's like stealing.

There's a lot of value in our state affiliate. Now I am to understand we have a good one. I really have no frame of reference except MA, which my buddy belongs to and he doesn't have a lot to say about it. But the bottom line is your affiliate is about people, and what they put into it. It saddens me when people learn what they need and then drop out when they become personally successful because they don't need the help anymore. But there are selfish people in every line of business. Personally speaking, I find it rewarding when people come to the meeting with their laptop and a problem with Lightroom that I can help them solve. Or when I get an email with a question that I can answer. Doesn't it make everyone feel good to help someone else?

George_Hawkins
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Agreed, and along with all the networking. If I need help, I can get it, or another will join me at an event, if I need a second photographer.

George

Jackie_Haggerty
02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately, there is an ongoing need and continuing change among the newer generation and our affiliates. I belong to 2 organizations in our state- Northern Illinois at www.ppani.org and Illinois at www.appillinois.com . Being a member of both, I can see a vast difference beween organizations.

To answer the question of how does your affiliate benefit you (specifically) is dependent upon the organization you are a member of.

As the second part of the question you posted, Todd, here is one huge way that we can help our organization. I have posted this letter with permission- this letter appeared in our current Exposure magazine, which you can find at www.appillinois.com/html/Exposure.php . This was addressed directly to the members of the state of Illinois organization.

A Call to Arms

When I first started to write this, I intended to avoid the dreaded V word, but then I thought, "By gum, the FCC doesn't think it's a dirty word, so why should anyone else?" Yes, I'm talking about Volunteering. C'mon, say it out loud. Really. Open your mouth, force air past your vocal cords, articulate with lips and tongue. "Volunteer." Not so bad, is it? For some people, especially those with military backgrounds, "Volunteer" has bad connotations. It keeps people from speaking up, because they don't want "to get stuck doing something." But what does volunteering really mean? It means that you are a generous person. You are willing to share your time and knowledge to help others and to keep the organization going. You're good hearted. Why would anyone see this as a Very Bad Thing?

From conversations I've heard at conventions there seems to be a mentality pervading our organization that the Board does everything and the membership sits back and reaps the benefits. It appears to me that even some on our board may believe this way. I know that not everyone follows this line of thought, because there are some people you see always pitching in to help out, and many of them have been doing so for years. Unfortunately, it has taken its toll on some of them who have been doing so much for so long that they don't even want to be around anymore. I challenge the viewpoint that a select few should "do" and the rest of us reap the benefits. By definition, a Director is supposed to direct.

Let me spin a different scenario for you. I used to devote a lot of my time to folk dancing. Dancers have getaway weekends just like photographers have conventions. Travel to distant communities, eat, learn new dances, drink, song circles, dancing, camaraderie, more dancing, late night parties, maybe get some sleep - unless you’re dancing. One difference is that folkies generally aren't very formal or businesslike. Food was always potluck, events were at a camp, lodging was frequently bring-your-own tent or floor space at a local's house. We didn't have restaurant and hotel staff to feed and clean up after us. This meant there was a lot of work for attendees to do - registration table, dividing food, setting up for meals, serving food, cleaning up after meals, sweeping floors between dance sets, taking out trash, running sound, playing in pick-up bands, and on, and on. The way we handled it was that everybody that attended the weekend - every single person - helped out for a short time. At the registration desk were signup sheets. As you registered, paid, and got your packet you also signed up for one volunteer task, such as keeping the water coolers full from 9-10pm. Spread much work out among a couple hundred people and no one misses any of the fun and a great weekend is had by all. The smartest ones figured out how to work it right - like a group of friends arranging to all work Friday night dinner setup, and having a party in the kitchen while they got food ready.

We in the APPI belong to a Volunteer Organization. That means the people that work for this organization are doing it for free. Yes, we probably could hire staff to do everything during convention, but that would mean higher convention fees, and who wants that? Being in a volunteer organization also means that each of us who belong to the APPI has an obligation to volunteer some part of him or her self - knowledge if you're confident you have it, or time if you don't believe you are very wise yet. Everybody is capable of helping in some small way. Really, how hard do you think it is to spend 15 minutes passing out door prize tickets as people come into a program?

Transfer your vision now to a post-apocalyptic, humans scrounging amid the rubble, darkness reigning, sci-fi version of the APPI approximately 3 years from now. Volunteers have been scarce. The board members doing all the work, running themselves ragged, burning out, and dropping like flies. No member is willing to stand forth and take up the helm because being on the board is Too Much Work. Convention quality deteriorates due to missing personnel. Fewer people are willing to make the trek to the semi-annual gatherings, causing funds to evaporate and hiring speakers becomes outside of the budget. As time marches inevitably onward, convention attendance dwindles further. Previously stalwart vendors abandon the die-hard stragglers and leave the trade show floor deserted. Gasp! No vendors means no free beer in the trade show! Horrors! Time warp two years further into this bleak, alcohol-free future and find that convention has been reduced to four people gathered around a card table hidden in a dank, musty basement lit by a single bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling, spending their weekend plotting how to send one of their number back into the past to save the organization. But once there, how to motivate the members of the past? A taser, maybe, for those who won't help? (Insert ominous, minor-key chord here (End of flash-foward).)

I would like for each of you reading this to take my words here as a call to arms. We need - right now - to battle that dreary future described above, before we start on the downward spiral that can expand beyond the point of no return. Because I’m a number crunching kind of guy, I've done some rough thinking and estimate that we need at least 195 people to run convention. For example, for the upcoming Spring Convention we have 10 speakers, so far. For each program, we need 5 people - props needs 3, one to help set up before the program, one to watch ID badges as people come in and one to run lights and be a gopher for the speaker, tradeshow needs 1 to pass out door prize tickets, PR needs 1 to get a few candids and photograph the speakers receiving their merits at the end of the program. That's 50 people just for programs alone. The membership desk is open 24 or more hours and needs 1-2 people for each hour open. That's another 36 people. Yes, these 86 people will only be working an hour, tops (and some of them only a few minutes), so none of them will miss much, if any, of the convention. To see what the other 109+ people are needed for, go to the website and look on the Volunteer page.

I, and probably the board as well, would be thrilled to no end if we were to see 100% participation among our convention attendees. Yes, I know that some of you have given of yourselves for so long that at this point you are little more than an empty husk inside that the rest of us need to refill. But I am presumptuous enough to ask for you to reach out just one more time. Spend an hour advising the newcomers who don't know what they're doing yet so that we are more able to carry the mantle. Give us guidance. If it really is beyond your abilities to lend much effort, maybe you can corner me and I'll buy you a drink while you tell me tales from the glory days of APPI. I'd really like to expand our website with a vision of what potential this organization has, and set that as a goal for our members.

So the trumpet is blown and the call to arms sounded. If every single person is willing to do a tiny bit, there's no telling what glory our future - both the organization’s and we as individuals - might hold. Maybe five years from now the new member packets will even contain a halo and harp.

Wayne Winders has been a member of APPI since 2003, worked on Print Committee, has lent a hand to Props on occasion, and is now part of Trade Show crew. He is currently the APPI Webmaster. If you'd like to spend some time in his bizarre fantasy world, you can contact him at photog@windportraits.com.

KirkDarling
02-10-2008, 11:39 PM
To answer the question of how does your affiliate benefit you (specifically) is dependent upon the organization you are a member of.

Jackie, I've asked you this question privately, but perhaps you could mention some good things one organization you're familiar with does well that the other does not (without naming names, although I'm sure the guilty will recognize itself).

Todd_Reichman
02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes, I'd love to hear as well, since I'm considering membership in both.

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Kirk,

Basically, Illinois breaks down into 3 (er, well, 4-kinda) organizations.

1. APPI (state as a whole)
2. Northern IL
3. Southern IL

1. APPI has a gathering or two each year- in the past a golf outing- I believe being replaced by or having in addition to a picnic this year, fall state convention and now our MARC regional (the 4-kinda I mentioned above, which is our regional with Indiana). All in all, then, 3 formal gatherings a year. $100 to join the organization, then approx. $125 or so to attend the regional convention and another approx. $75 or so to attend the fall convention, plus the fees to enter a print case, and another fee to attend the banquet. I don't know about the outing- I am not a golfer so I was never interested in attending it in the past. To enter your regional, though,you need to be a member of Illinois (APPI) and send your case to the regional competition coming up in March. I have been a member going into my 3rd year now. This year I think there are around 10 speakers and 3 local member speakers for the 4-5 days. www.appillinois.com

2. Northern Illinois - $135 your first year, $100 each year after and $40 per monthly meeting you attend. There is usually a car pool option from Bloomington (Kirk!). If it is a Continuing Education meeting then it is $80 for the meeting. Each meeting brings a speaker in - usually a well known national speaker ( this year Dave Junion, Mike Fulton and Sarah Petty to name a few) for a FULL DAY program, and the meeting includes lunch. 4 print competitions a year to work out images for other competitions and/or work on your fellowship degree with Northern. I love Northern- even though it is a treck to get to some of the meetings (in the Chicago area) I have gotten to know a lot of photographers there since it meets regularly and many of them are in the same younger generation I like to think I am in also. www.ppani.org

3. Southern Illinois I don't know much about, except that they don't meet very often and they have a print competition occasionally. I do know their meetings are not monthly.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-11-2008, 01:35 AM
What exactly should you expect from your afiliate? What can you expect to learn, or what should you try to get out of the experience of being a member? How has being a member of your affiliate benefitted you (personally, artistically, business-wise).

How can you contribute to the advancement of the organization and consequenly yourself? What does an affiliate need to prosper and benefit its membership?

- trr

As a new member coming into an organization, I believe you have the right to expect an organization that welcomes new members with open arms, willing to share and help you in your personal growth as a photographer, and a wealth of information. You should be provided with all of the information of how your organization works and runs. You should be made aware of all activities that benefit both you and, by your involvement, the organization. You should be 'taken under the wing' for a couple of meetings or days by one of the more experienced members to be shown the ropes, introduced, included and have your questions answered.

IMO, and those of you that have had the opportunity to meet and spend time with other ourppa members will know what I am talking about, there is a sense of comraderie that should exist between members, and by merely being around your associates, you should expect growth in your potential, and the knowledge that you contribute and receive will be retuned tenfold for all involved.

Last but not least, an organization needs to continually make itself aware of what is happening within it's membership, within the photographic community, and be willing to adjust to the changing times. Just as we find continuing ways to market our businesses to maintain and grow in our profession, an organization must do the same to maintain and grow membership, be aware of the needs of the members and adjust to the changes to best fit the membership. It's part of how it works, and without it, its a losing battle.

Todd_Reichman
02-11-2008, 02:03 AM
And Jackie, do you feel that both Illinois organizations are meeting your expectations? Feel free to PM if there's anything "sensitive" you'd like to discuss.

How regionally specific are these organizations? For instance, should we join a Missouri organization if we often work in that area, or would that be taboo? Is it taboo for us more southern Illinois folks to join the Northern org?

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
02-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Todd,

It is not taboo to join another organization at all. Just know that if your business is in Illinois that you would be joining another state as an out of state member. If you wanted to enter a print competition you would be entering as out of state, if you lived in Illinois and wanted to join Missouri you wouldn't be able to enter the regional for Missouri- because you are from IL.

I know someone from Iowa considering joining Northern Illinois because of the programs that are available through that organization. Look at all of the people from ourppa going to New Hampshire to enter prints there and join their state convention - it's perfectly acceptable!! I have a friend in Alton, IL, which is across the river from St. Louis, Missouri- he was a member of Missouri for years because that worked best for his needs.

I seriously think it is important to know what your needs are and see what is appropriate for you personally. See what fits.

Todd_Reichman
02-11-2008, 03:56 AM
So, what's the biggest issue with affiliates/regionals and how might those of us that are concerned and invested get involved? I hear alot about membership issues and direction of organizations, etc. What should those of us in the startup to middle-of-the-road in terms of business development be doing to help?

thanks

- trr

Don_Chick
02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
What should those of us in the startup to middle-of-the-road in terms of business development be doing to help?

Go to the President of the Association and volunteer to be on a committee, any committee at first just to show a willingness to help.

Print committee usually can use all the help it can get.
Taking pictures at a Monthly for the Newsletter is another.
Brining the speakers to a meeting from the airport is always needed.
etc......

Stan_Lawrence
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
"Brining the speakers to a meeting from the airport is always needed."

These used to be called brain pickers.....they get to ask the speaker questions on the drive....not a bad way to learn.....just don't over do it.....:cool:

George_Hawkins
02-12-2008, 02:44 AM
"Brining the speakers to a meeting from the airport is always needed."

These used to be called brain pickers.....they get to ask the speaker questions on the drive....not a bad way to learn.....just don't over do it.....:cool:

Many year ago, after a NEIPP session, I drove two instructors to airport, about 60 miles - all I can say i what an experience. Do it if you can!

Michael_Black
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Not only have I picked up the talent from the airport, I have given tours of the local sights. I've also been responsible for all of the props, video and audio. Almost everything has been done by a very small group at the state level.

Sometimes your speakers can feel out of place and might eat alone at their own table. I go out of my way to make sure that they feel welcome and I am always try to eat at whatever table the speaker is at.

D._Craig_Flory
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I've served on a number of different committees over the years. Print committee, as already mentioned, was a great learning experience. I served as props chairman for many years. You get to help speakers during posing and lighting demos. I have been security chair for a while now. During regular meetings I just make sure everyone in a program should be there i.e. member, speaker, guest, or supporting member. At our convention my committee works by being stationed at the door to the trade show checking to make sure they were allowed to enter.

Simply approach a board member and tell them you would like to serve in some capacity. I can tell you from having served on our state board that there are always openings to be filled on some committee. I not only wear my state's service degree around my neck, it also has a bar on it because I have never stopped working. So get the satisfaction of servicing and helping.

KirkDarling
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I not only wear my state's service degree around my neck, it also has a bar on it because I have never stopped working. I can tell you from having served on our state board that there are always openings to be filled on some committee. I not only wear my state's service degree around my neck, it also has a bar on it because I have never stopped working.

D Craig, what are the details of your state service degree? What (in general) does it require? When is a person awarded additional bars? How does it work with the PPA Craftsmans degree?

D._Craig_Flory
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Kirk;

A person needs to accumulate 16 service points for the degree. They would get 1 point for each committee. Points are also given for serving on the board and for being an officer. You get a bar for each additional 16 points.

Louise_St.Romain
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Something that I think might be nice is a response to an inquiry into membership. I emailed the NJ affiliate and got no answer (not even an auto-responder). It does make me think that they are not interested in new members.

D._Craig_Flory
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Louise;

You are very welcome here in Pennsylvania. We just had a state meeting Sunday and Monday. I saw a number of photographers from New Jersey there. There is a big added value in joining. As a member you can attend any seminars the Maryland group and / or the Delaware group holds. Please look at www.ppaofpa.org . You can also e-mail me for more information. floryphotog@mindspring.com In Pa., we have one state group and some totally separate sub state groups. In Jersey, the state is divided into smaller groups for the meetings. So we have one central group for all seminars and programs.

Mike_Brown
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
As a new member coming into an organization, I believe you have the right to expect an organization that welcomes new members with open arms, willing to share and help you in your personal growth as a photographer, and a wealth of information. You should be provided with all of the information of how your organization works and runs. You should be made aware of all activities that benefit both you and, by your involvement, the organization. You should be 'taken under the wing' for a couple of meetings or days by one of the more experienced members to be shown the ropes, introduced, included and have your questions answered.

And as a prospective new member that found none of that, what would you do?

Louise_St.Romain
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Louise;

You are very welcome here in Pennsylvania. We just had a state meeting Sunday and Monday. I saw a number of photographers from New Jersey there. There is a big added value in joining. As a member you can attend any seminars the Maryland group and / or the Delaware group holds. Please look at www.ppaofpa.org . You can also e-mail me for more information. floryphotog@mindspring.com In Pa., we have one state group and some totally separate sub state groups. In Jersey, the state is divided into smaller groups for the meetings. So we have one central group for all seminars and programs.

Thank you for your welcome! :)

Jackie_Haggerty
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
And as a prospective new member that found none of that, what would you do?

Well, that depends on if you are a leader or a follower. It is, in no little way, frustrating if that happens. If you are the type to sit around and complain about it then do nothing -but know that you don't have a right to complain- if you want to see a change, then get involved. Hopefully by setting an example you will lead others to make a change as well. You have to be willing to deal with a lot on the way, though. I know for me patience is the hardest part to deal with- I like to see changes NOW and if they don't happen right away or I don't see growth toward the change I get discouraged and lose interest. But- on the other hand, that can be a good thing as well! I also think it is important to know where others stand and how they feel about it as well, there is power in numbers, and if you expect to see a change then the numbers will help as well.

Mike_Brown
02-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Well, that depends on if you are a leader or a follower. It is, in no little way, frustrating if that happens. If you are the type to sit around and complain about it then do nothing -but know that you don't have a right to complain- if you want to see a change, then get involved. Hopefully by setting an example you will lead others to make a change as well. You have to be willing to deal with a lot on the way, though. I know for me patience is the hardest part to deal with- I like to see changes NOW and if they don't happen right away or I don't see growth toward the change I get discouraged and lose interest. But- on the other hand, that can be a good thing as well! I also think it is important to know where others stand and how they feel about it as well, there is power in numbers, and if you expect to see a change then the numbers will help as well.

The first thing thing I did was to take a good look and see if it was worth the time and effort that was going to be required to make the changes. It was not, so I became neither a leader or a follower, but an independent.

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Mike, think in terms of this: You are a customer that's interested in buying into a product: Your local association. What do you want to get out of it? Information that you can use for your business? Some type of social aspect? If you were the leader of the association, what would you do to bring an amazing experience to another person like you?

Now think of your "independent" action you stated. What do your customers think of you? What if they thought the same way as you? Would they do business with you? Or should they see your business as "not worth it" and get their own camera? Just like in this forum, you need to visit your local association many times to get a feeling of the culture. Just like your customers need to come into your studio many times before they become "a customer for life".

Give your local a fighting chance to produce a great experience for you.

Louise_St.Romain
02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Just a thought from being on the outside looking in: if the local organization shows no interest in having new people (such as no response to inquiries), they shouldn't complain about there not being new people joining. If I ran my business that way, I would not have any customers. (I have worked in sales for 10 years). It is a two way street, there does need to be dialog going both ways ... personally, having my inquiries ignored makes me not want to be bothered with my local affiliate.

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Let me put a different spin on this. What if you joined that association, got invoved, and made the changes necessary? I find that those who actually get involved get a sense of passion for their organization. That's how you see the benefits of any organization.

Mike_Brown
02-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Let me put a different spin on this. What if you joined that association, got invoved, and made the changes necessary? I find that those who actually get involved get a sense of passion for their organization. That's how you see the benefits of any organization.

What you are not looking at is the passion of the people that are there already. They will fight just as hard to keep things the same as you will to change things. The result will be a fractured organization with a lot of hard feelings on both sides. Nobody wins.

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi Mike;

To make (good needed) changes, the best way is to serve on the board of governors. I served for 7 years and think made some good decisions in that time. Serving on committees is also a good way to learn to know people.

Sometimes a group can seem stuffy, and cold, to one person while warm and open to another. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a talker. If someone simply speaks up and gets involved that can be a great ice breaker. But if you sit and say nothing you can appear to be not wanting to join in. I tell new members to get involved, ask questions, and sit with different people each time at meals. It's up to the new person.

Louise_St.Romain
02-13-2008, 03:27 PM

In order to join, you have to have some kind of response from someone in the association first.

I think I'll just look across the Delaware into PA instead, seems the welcome is warmer over there.

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
What you are not looking at is the passion of the people that are there already. They will fight just as hard to keep things the same as you will to change things. The result will be a fractured organization with a lot of hard feelings on both sides. Nobody wins.
What you are looking at is an organization that has lost its vision somewhere in it's history and started a different culture that you're experiencing. As those people slowly weed out, you can effect change. It would take the leadership of you and others, and perhaps some of the older members to recapture that vision and vibrancy.

Marc_Benjamin
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I emailed the NJ affiliate and got no answer (not even an auto-responder). It does make me think that they are not interested in new members.

Have you actually tried to call?

Linda_Gregory
02-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Dave,

That's not the case. To be an affiliate, your members don't even have to be PPA members. Remember, they are independent associations, they are only "affiliated" with PPA.
PPA doesn't have a say in them. They are not PPA. In fact, we have affiliates that have less than 50% PPA members.

Jack,

I am struggling with this. I was handed a local affiliate, not state level, this year that has not sent in the forms to renew the affiliate status. One of the requirement is to have at least 10 members be PPA members. What you say quoted above is the opposite.

The few of us that ARE PPA members are struggling to figure out how we can attract the good speakers to our monthly meetings who wish to come for merits with out the ability to GIVE them merits if we don't meet the requirement of 10.

Mark_Levesque
02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't think you are contradicting him, really. How small of an affiliate is this, if you are having trouble finding 10 PPA members?

Linda_Gregory
02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
We cover a large area and there are quite a few PPA members but they no longer are members or never have been members of our group. Our roster that I've been given adds up to 32, many who pay their dues but no longer attend. Of them, one has paid dues for this year as we usually collect in December but we had a very bad storm the night of the meeting and it was canceled.

Yes, we're small. We are Greater Wichita PPA so we cover quite a bit of geographical area including Wichita which is home to approximately 500,000 people.

A past president had a meeting a few years ago and actually drew in some of the local PPA members that didn't belong and asked them what we could do to get them interested in our organization.

After some blustering, they finally just said, what are you going to do for us? That was that.

I would have tried to explain that with them, we could get quality speakers they might like and with out them, we couldn't but with such a blunt statement, everyone just kind of went their own way.

D._Craig_Flory
02-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Here in Pa. we have about 80, at the least, who are PPA members. That's our state group. I can't speak for any of the sub state groups. We also have about 35 Masters.

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I suspect that the PPA members might view your group as a "camera club". First things first. Get your Treasurer and membership chair together and get the PPA member list and a $350 check to PPA ASAP. Re applying could be a real hassle if you let it lapse too long. The find the most well known KS photographer who has a bang up program you can find who would be willing to donate their program to get the PPA members to come and experience your meetings. Have a print competition afterward. Contact Delano Color to sponsor the event :D

Linda_Gregory
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Michael, You're too funny!

In reality, they don't look on us as a camera club, there are tons of those locally and realize we're the pros BUT....too many of the wannabes paid their dues and the full timers were reluctant to share their knowledge with those not willing to invest.

I am all for inclusion but make them accountable. Have a tax ID number, work to improve, don't just try to be a weekender and use membership in the organization as a mark of authenticity.

I am now in contact with a Topeka, KS member which is about a 3 hr drive from us who is also experiencing lower participation. We're trying to figure out what we can do together to get the whole state kick started which will hopefully up our STATE organization participation.

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I am all for inclusion but make them accountable. Have a tax ID number, work to improve, don't just try to be a weekender and use membership in the organization as a mark of authenticity.
LOL, now we're getting into this thread: http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10548 concerning how tough should we be with the membership. This is the way to go. It will hurt your membership for a while, but it will strengthen your association in the long term.

Make your wannabes (or aspiring/apprentices) work harder for the value of membership. There are those who disagreed with me in the other thread, but minimizing their numbers to 20% of your membership gives your active members a fair shake.

Linda_Gregory
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
And sending in the money to PPA is not that simple when I can't fill out the paperwork....unless we REALLY don't need 10 PPA members. Does anyone have an answer on that one??

Michael_Gan
02-13-2008, 09:56 PM
You can send in your renewal check now and get your roster into Marisa Pitts later if the merit distribution isn't important.