PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please-- It's Different

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Had a senior yesterday that wore a jacket with some art that represented a band I think? (Yes Jim I should have asked more questions) I photographed the jacket and then attempted to use it to give a different message.

The original artwork was a skull in the hood and he was holding guns. This young mans father is a baptist minister so even though he wears this kind of stuff he is a good kid and religion is a big part of his life. The band? was JustBlaz; his name is Justin so that's what the "IN" is about.

He has not seen it yet but I wanted to get some feedback from you all before I show him.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/JustinBlaz150.jpg

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Here is another one of the same guy. Do you think it has enough leading lines.

By the way I posted this thread under competition by mistake that is unless someone tells me they have potential.;)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/IMG_6452.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Had a senior yesterday that wore a jacket with some art that represented a band I think? (Yes Jim I should have asked more questions) I photographed the jacket and then attempted to use it to give a different message.

The original artwork was a skull in the hood and he was holding guns. This young mans father is a baptist minister so even though he wears this kind of stuff he is a good kid and religion is a big part of his life. The band? was JustBlaz; his name is Justin so that's what the "IN" is about.

He has not seen it yet but I wanted to get some feedback from you all before I show him.

A portrait is "to portray" the personality/character of the person photographed. How does a skull in the hood and him holding holding guns translate to Crosses and Colossians 2:15? This might be fine in the world of competition where free transform is rewarded, but IMHO, you have not created an image of him.

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 04:37 AM
A portrait is "to portray" the personality/character of the person photographed. How does a skull in the hood and him holding holding guns translate to Crosses and Colossians 2:15? This might be fine in the world of competition where free transform is rewarded, but IMHO, you have not created an image of him.

As I said in my second post I was not creating or posting this as a competition image. Posted in the wrong category... for that I am sorry. I am not dumb enough to think something with no more skill to create than this took is worthy of competition. But I am confident I have created an image my client will like, many of these kids have many sides to who they are.

He really wanted to use the jacket but did not think I would because of the guns. We agreed I'd remove the guns and that I'd create something unique. He is not into violence and his religion is a big part of his life. He just likes the band and the art work. I've just attempted to portray more than one side of him. This was my second session with him so I have gotten to know a little bit about him and I am not worried that he won't like it.

Dave_Cisco
02-10-2008, 05:11 AM
As I said in my second post I was not creating or posting this as a competition image. Posted in the wrong category... for that I am sorry. I am not dumb enough to think something with no more skill to create than this took is worthy of competition. But I am confident I have created an image my client will like, many of these kids have many sides to who they are.

He really wanted to use the jacket but did not think I would because of the guns. We agreed I'd remove the guns and that I'd create something unique. He is not into violence and his religion is a big part of his life. He just likes the band and the art work. I've just attempted to portray more than one side of him. This was my second session with him so I have gotten to know a little bit about him and I am not worried that he won't like it.

Ok, now that you have said that you worked WITH the subject to create the image, it all makes better sense. BTW, I think that image DOES have competition qualities. I guess we're not on the same page this evening...I'm going to sleep.:)

Karen_Linsley
02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you did a great job with the first image, and that your client should love it. I think it has many elements which portray the things that are important to him. Good job!

It might have competition potential as well, although the judges tend to like things not centered for print comp.

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
at 12:00 midnight I'm not best either. Thanks.

Ok, now that you have said that you worked WITH the subject to create the image, it all makes better sense. BTW, I think that image DOES have competition qualities. I guess we're not on the same page this evening...I'm going to sleep.:)

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
96 views and only 2 made comments... :confused: come on you guys give me some feedback.

Don_Chick
02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Dianna,

You're right about the leading lines they add to the picture. It's about the camera angle and lens choice that I struggle with... He looks like a giant in body but his head size isn't in proportion to the rest....

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree but I don't think I could have gotten the angle of the lines otherwise. I was on the ground shooting up. Advise would be appreciated as I use this spot often to shoot.

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
He looks like a giant in body but his head size isn't in proportion to the rest....

And what's closest to the camera looks the largest. . . which in this case is the seat of his pants. His shirt will also be an issue.

I suggest you try this subject in this location again. Have him wear a long sleeve solid color shirt or jacket. Use a longer lens and work either very early in the day like at day break or right before sunset. You have directional light but it is direct sunlight and is pretty harsh. This subject in this location can handle a stronger ratio and a more specular light source but I think it's just gone a little too far.

Keith

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Welcome back Keith, how'd the college tour go?

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree but I don't think I could have gotten the angle of the lines otherwise. I was on the ground shooting up. Advise would be appreciated as I use this spot often to shoot.

Dianna, Sometimes we make tradeoffs and what we gain is worth what we lose and sometimes it's not. In this case, because the majority of the lines do not lead to the subject but rather out of the frame, I don't think the tradeoff is worth it. The two lines that do lead you towards him are the stair rail, which ends in his back and the wire which leads . . . lets say south of the border. I would suggest you try a longer lens to eliminate the distortion. Or if you like the distortion, use it to your advantage, choose what to emphasize. He is religious, so how about a Bible in his hands outstretched toward camera and photographed with a wide angle lens. Be careful in the posing to keep his face in the center of the frame which is the area of least distortion in a wide angle. You can always crop for composition later. Perhaps he could be sitting halfway up the stairs with you at the bottom and his forearms resting on his knees holding the Bible out to the camera. The Bible would block some of the distorted body. You could then position your camera to one side of the stairs or the other to create a leading diagonal line with the handrail. In this location the title could be ( again thanks to Holly, the title guru) "Taking It To The Streets". That title gives the judges a story to read into the print and helps evoke a feeling. And the distortion is an obvious choice to help tell that story rather than a photographer's error.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
And the college visit was great but he still has two more to visit. Luckily he has recieved great scholarship offers from all three so he can pick and choose where he wants to go.
Keith

DiannaAllen
02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow Keith I really like the idea for the stairs image. I'll see if he is game for another shoot. Thanks so much for the advice. :)

Any comments on the first image in this thread and the other's in the Comp threads I posted before you left for college?

Glad you had a good visit. You're fortunate that he got the scholarships. I'm still paying and probably will till I retire for my kids.