PDA

View Full Version : First post *No PPAM Judges Please*

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Hope I did that right in the title (I was advised by a prolific poster to do that :)).

I'm entering my first PPAM competition this month, and I'd love feedback on my prints. I'm sending them in for printing tomorrow (will have to hand-deliver or overnight my case), so can make some minor changes, but would also like to be prepared for the worse if they aren't any good ;)

I'd also love title and matting suggestions. I still have a little bit of work to do on some of these, but phew, here they are (bites nails):

First two (more coming):

four more coming...

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
...removed...

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
...removed...
Thanks in advance for any comments!

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Teya,
Good for you for posting. You will find you get a lot more out of this forum in a state of non lurking!!!:)

I think your strongest images are 1, 5, and 6.

1 the flowers might be way too hot. try toning them down. The image has a good feel, but it might only do ok since this look is now pretty popular.

5 needs to try titling in the other direction. I usually tilt so that the man is higher. ( Tracey Pay attention. There is a man in this image!!!) I think the image is lovely, and might have enough to push it over the edge, but as it stands the angle is so hard, it feels like they are falling.

I think this is beautiful, and would love this image of my children. I think you need to crop the necklace down a bunch, an dcome up from the bottom. Watch the highlights of the skin, they seem close to blowing 255 here.

And remember you need to print your images way darker than you like, because when they in front of the lights, they will be way lighter than you like. Hope that helps,
Jeff

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you Jeff. I don't really have any room on 5 to tilt. What if the title was something that emphasized the woman dominating? ;)
I'll incorporate your suggestions into my final edits of the other two.

I'll be printing these competition density with Millers, so I hope that will take care of the darkening, will it not? Also, any matting suggestions?

Thanks again!

Dave_Cisco
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
5&6 are the strongest as they are presented here. Others could be stronger with a little work.

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Dave! Care to share any suggestions? What kind of scoring am I looking at here - do any of them have a chance to merit?

Dave_Cisco
02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks Dave! Care to share any suggestions? What kind of scoring am I looking at here - do any of them have a chance to merit?

You said these are going in for printing tomorrow...no time to work on these now. As shown, most are about 80% of what they could be....I don't think they have been "finished".:)

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
there is always time, I can stay up late and I work quickly ;)

Don_Chick
02-08-2008, 11:43 PM
#1 is beautiful, but some judges may not like that the horizon line is not horizontal with the image.

Little red head boy is cute...Risky title: Care to join me? or You from around these parts?

Teya_Rutherford
02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
how about "What YOU lookin' at?" ;) It's a little girl, btw.

Should I fix the horizon line? It's funny that I've spend so long on that image and never noticed that, lol. Blinded by the distance (or lack thereof).

Thanks!

I'd love more title suggestions as well!

andiegoodman
02-09-2008, 04:38 AM
how about "What YOU lookin' at?" ;) It's a little girl, btw.

Should I fix the horizon line? It's funny that I've spend so long on that image and never noticed that, lol. Blinded by the distance (or lack thereof).

Thanks!

I'd love more title suggestions as well!

Maybe "whatcha lookin' at?"

Meanwhile, I couldn't see the images...where are they?