PDA

View Full Version : Comp Baby image

Adam_Squier
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I'd like to enter this at the PPofOhio show at the end of Feb. Do you think it's worth spending time on or should I find another image?

Thanks

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Adam,
I think this is good image with good expression. I think what will hold this out of the merit range is the ratio, dark background, and apparently hot highlights. I am sure this image sold well! If you goal is to enter for the first time, than I believe you will learn far more with a 78, over squeeking by with an 80. So consider entering it anyway!! This comp stuff is just for learning!
Jeff

Adam_Squier
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate it. I also got a PM from Mark L about it (I'm working on your other question, Mark). Based on the feedback, I'll try to get it entered.

I think the Web version has more contrast than is in the print, so hopefully that'll help.

Now, would it be better to enter it as a 16x20 the way it is, or to use a step-mount. The above version is cropped to 20x24 proportions, but there's more background on the sides and above the baby's head. So if another crop (or placement w/in the "frame") with a step mount) would work better, please let me know.

Here's the full-frame version (also with a vignette).

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Adam,
I would try something like this in the placement. Not necessarily blue, but I working quick here.

Jeff

D._Craig_Flory
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi Adam;

I subscribe to the adage "Kids need room to grow" in a portrait. Here's how I see your image. I also see it scoring in the above average category (76 to 79)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Centerfold.jpg

Mark_Levesque
02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I also got a PM from Mark L about it (I'm working on your other question, Mark).
Thanks, Adam. I was starting to wonder if I wasn't cute enough to merit a response. ;)